1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

An update, will it happen?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by lobão, Jul 10, 2022.

1. lobão

lobão Void-Bound Voyager

First of all, since is part of the forum rules to use english only, I'm sorry for any orthographic mistake, it isn't my main language.
    Been playing this since the 1.2 version, really love it, being able to travel to other planets, building bases(gets even better with mods). I spend a lotta time on it. But, since the peacekeepers update, seemed that the game was, well, abandoned. The game yet has that "still have some work to be done" vibe. Even you, NASA computer user, certainly has FPS drop when you open the Pixel Printer interface(due to it's memory leak).
    I'm not only talking about bugs, but content too. What about the lore? So many things could added or better explained, like: Who are the Novakids and what is their history? The Milky-Way planets, they still existing after endgame events? How the Protectorate surged and how the races met each other? What year or century Starbound events are set on? Some may even think is silly to make a game like Starbound have a deeper lore, but hey, would be way better having some history to look for.
    Didn't play the Beta version, but I see many players complaining that much of the game was removed since then, like racial weapons and some objects.
    The game still have potential, just need more attention. Will we see an update, one day? Because honestly, I wouldn't considere this game a "work done" in this stage...

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  2. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I'm still holding out hope for future updates personally, but presently the most factual thing we can go with is that the game's undergoing a development hiatus, CF seem to be focusing their (somewhat limited) resources on developing a new game, and the (slowly) ongoing xbox port seems to be the prime reason why the dev have gone on record noting that SB is undergoing a feature freeze so to speak. Since they haven't said that they aren't dropping the game or anything, I'm inclined to think that the game really isn't abandoned yes, amusingly I remember well that people in the community were claiming the same thing between 1.3 and 1.4 when the dev were focusing on Wargroove.
    I'll admit, I don't really agree with the notion that the game is "unfinished", sandbox games by their very nature can never truly be considered "complete" by virtue of being well, sandboxes. Of course it'd never hurt to add more vanilla content to the game, but mods fulfill that function well enough, and I'd be perfectly content with an optimization/bugfix update personally. As for the game's lore, as much as I as a lorenut would love to have some more lore stuff added to the game, I honestly think what we have is quite fitting for a sandbox game. Canon here serves as a framework to build with, and piecing together headcanons/theories is honestly much more fun than having everything explained for me, it's also worth noting that the game's lore is more than just codices, as scan descriptions, npc dialogue and even environmental details all have their own details to add.
    And yeah, it's certainly true that some stuff got removed since beta, but the thing people fail to mention is how most of that removed stuff was placeholder to begin with, replaced with (in my opinion) superior iterations. The old racial weapons for example, aside from lacking alt abilities just like every other old style weapon, all just felt like needless bloat since they were all functionally identical, no lore tidbits attached either, and I'm honestly really glad the old lore was scrapped in favor of what we have now, but that's a topic for another time.
    I certainly agree that the game still has potential (or more specifically, that it hasn't actually been wasted as some claim), it's just worth noting that with sandbox games, it's never on the dev alone to explore a game's full "potential" (as nebulous that notion is), the community has a large role to play too, and so far it's been doing a decent job of it if you ask me, despite by complaints with said community easily eclipsing any I have with Starbound lol.

but yeah, tldr; there's still a possibility the game will still get an update, I wouldn't hold my breath over it, but it's also worth being patient too. It pays to remember that during the year long gap between 1.3 and 1.4's releases, some in the community were saying that the game was abandoned :p

3. lobão

lobão Void-Bound Voyager

To me a good sandbox has details. Story details, about races, about factions, (better)world variety. Using the actual canon as framework is really...well, basic. If devs truly intended to let people have their own head-canons, then just ignore me.
    I do like how Starbound is easy to mod( even I did a couple mods for myself) and also like the efforts of the community to keep it alive for some time more, what I don't like is how much the game -needs- mods, either be for content or for fixing things.
    Well,we don't even get monthly patches or dev updates for it, so anyone who thinks it's abandoned got a point, in my opnion at least. Gonna keep hope to almost zero.

4. harimauputih

harimauputih Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To be honest, I just wish.. for a Starbound sequel; Starbound 2, a complete reboot to the game. This time, CF shouldn't fucked around with people's heart with making games. I don't see Terraria sequel nor Minecraft 2 gonna happen so why not CF? Why not, just go back in time and make Starbound great again, it got potential you know it, most of your fans since 2013, know it, it can rival Terraria success either that or not but come on CF, don't be afraid of your own failure with this game and your own community.

Guthrie28 and lobão like this.
  5. lobão

lobão Void-Bound Voyager

A sequence is a good idea, a comeback also would be good and make more sense I think.
    I'm sure Starbound could easily ""beat"" Terraria if CF wanted. Devs have a treasure here, they just need to dig it up

6. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I personally think that a sequel is a bad idea. It's kinda like a cliché for everything already. I prefer having a DLC of the game, for additional official content, or even fix. Make something like RimWorld did.
    That and above are also, more or less, my thought about SB from the first time I played the game.

7. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

To each their own I suppose, I'll just go quietly hold on to some modicum of hope on my end here lol

I agree tbh, plus to me a sequel would feel kinda like a slap on the face (to me at least) as someone who's been invested in this game for so long, it's highly atypical for sandboxes to have sequels too (I mean terraria had an attempt, but it just didn't pan out). The only real justification I could see for a sequel or remake would be for building a far better engine, but I feel that the same could be achieved through smoothing out the optimization issues and hardcoded bugs in the existing engine instead, which wouldn't involve reinventing the wheel so to speak.

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Well, I'm sure you're aware but Starbound is currently on a feature freeze as the Xbox port is being developed. Adding new content would delay the already delayed port. The port is going to have some optimisations and things so we can hope they come to the PC version when ready. Once the port is finished I believe Chucklefish said they would reassess Starbound and decided on hiring a new team to work on it. Nearly all the devs that made Starbound are no longer with Chucklefish and the studio is focusing on their new game, Witchbrook. So the game isn't "dead" but more in a state of being "complete." All in all I think it's a good game with plenty to do. Considering the amount of mods available gives even more life to the game. Yes, relying on mods isn't necessarily ideal but it is what we have.

Armok likes this.