1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Analog stick treshold bar, variable speed, ladders

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by szpaq234, Jan 3, 2015.

1. szpaq234

szpaq234 Space Hobo

1. Add an option to set a threshold for analog stick that moves character. I have a shitty controller and its analog stick bounces when I let it go which causes hero to change direction. It's very annoying.
    2. Make another threshold option for going up or down the ladder. Very often when I'm going next to a ladder and my analog stick is barely up or down, it makes the character climb.
    3. Analog stick controls speed: make hero move according to analog stick position i.e. move slow when stick is close to the origin, fast when it's far from the origin. You can combine this with my first suggestion. For instance, speed = 0% when stick is 10% or less from the origin and speed = 100% when stick is 80% or more from the origin.

• Paitum

Paitum Space Hobo

I came to post the same suggestion. I agree with #1 and #2, which are both part of the same problem. I don't care about #3.
      Here is my take on the problem:
      1. When "flicking" the gamepad's joystick, the joystick will fling back and cause some small input samples in the wrong direction before settling at neutral. This causes problems when attempting to kite with the Commando, and flicking the joystick to shotgun.
      2. When holding the joystick to the right or left, it is easy to accidentally have the Y-axis slightly up or down. This causes the game to ascend or descend ladders accidentally.
      The solution is to simply filter the joystick events as so (assuming input range is -1.0 to 1.0):
      Code:
      x = Math.abs(x) < 0.5 ? 0.0 : x;
      y = Math.abs(y) < 0.5 ? 0.0 : y;
      I use an Xbox 360 for Windows Controller.
      ALSO
      3. The gamepad doesn't seem to work in the collectable screens.
      Thank you.

• geekofalltrades

geekofalltrades Phantasmal Quasar

+1 for controller analog stick dead zone. I never have a run where I don't climb a ladder or a rope accidentally.