Ancient Weather Control Station

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by CaptainFoxx, Nov 23, 2017.

1. CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

The ancient vaults have been a fun thing for me and my friends to run through post game missions, and the ability to acquire biome-altering stations to shape planets as you see fit is a fun addition to the level of creativity a player can have (Even if vanilla selections are rather... limited)!

But I recall in a really early post from developers that one thing they wanted to do was to add "Biome and Weather altering mechanics"

So we have the former, but I would REALLY love to see the latter get implemented sometime soon in a future update.

It would work the same way as the terraformers do: Spend a lot of essence at the terminal at the end of a vault to acquire the "Ancient Weather Control Terminal", Plonk it down on the planet of your choice, and spend your essence to have the terminal send out a beam that, in time, changes the weather to your liking! For a small cost, a player can set it to permanently have the planet do one single weather effect (Always be clear, always be raining, always be snowing, always have rains of fire, etc), or for a large cost, a player can set a weather pattern containing multiple weather effects to be randomly selected like normal planets do (Up to about 8 different types of weather to cycle to).

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Can support. I would love to manipulate the weather on some planets. Would also be nice for people making special builds on barren planets and want to have specific weather for whatever mood they are going for.

In an ideal world, time of day controls would be nice too. Being able to lock a planet to night only, or day only, or anywhere in between. But I think this would be a bit problematic as there is no system in place in the game already for this kind of thing (As far as I can tell). Instanced worlds that are like "always day" actually just have their "day length" set to a stupidly high number, so technically if you wait long enough, the day will cycle, even if it would take hours or literal physical days for it to happen, lol.

3. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

I could see a lot of potential uses for this, such as removing the meteor storms from a scorched planet but keeping the biome. Or maybe you really like the music on a toxic ocean planet, but you hate the poisonous rain.