Other Any fanfiction writers/readers?

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by crabrangoony, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Satashi26

Satashi26 Phantasmal Quasar

@MagicallyClueless Can't wait to see it! I bet I can guess who you're going to woo though :p *does little happy writer dance* write write write write!

MagicallyClueless likes this.
    • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

whaaaat?! it's not going to be obvious at all! :kawaii:
      (it's going to be extremely obvious)

• Rod&Root

Rod&Root Void-Bound Voyager

It may take a bit. Reading it all back over there are definitely some areas to improve on and small holes that need filling. That shouldn't take long though, assuming I can get the file from the phone to the PC.

• Risukage

Risukage Giant Laser Beams

Okay then, I figured as much. Once I can get some mental energy and a bit of time to myself to sit and type I'll begin putting words in Word. :3

Well, kinda going for a Hero's Journey/Self-Discovery vibe, bit of Slice of Life, a romance somewhere... I just realized that I'm making a shoujo manga, haha. (What am I doing with my life?...) Sorta joking, but after I started playing and got into it and the characters and relationships I began to imagine a different character, one that actually interacted with the people and was a part of it, not just a silent protagonist/observer. Further, how would they interact with everyone, as people and not just scripted NPCs? The friendships, rivalries, misunderstandings, potential love, and just world-building in general. From there I just spun a story of someone trying to find meaning and purpose as well as overcome personal obstacles that have held them back in the past. One thing I'm really liking about SDV is that you're not some magical messiah there to make everything better and solve all of the problems, you're just an outsider that gives needed perspective and the catalyst to help others make the decision to change their lives and situations, and I think that that lends itself very well to third-party storytelling. I've got a lot of the major events already plotted, and I know how it begins and ends. So, much like a box full of beads, I just need to get some twine and string them all together in the proper sequence.

My biggest concern, really, is that I'll get a few chapters in and go, "wow, this is a really crap idea, why did I write this?" Partially it's crippling self-doubt (one thing I'm trying to conquer by posting literature here, and is a big part of the lead character), but I'm a real-world Bard, so I'm quite aware of most storytelling tropes, arcs, archetypes, etc., and know how to work with and/or around them. Fortunately, I'm not given to Mary Sue insertionism, nor do I make "perfect" characters, but you do put a BIT of yourself into your characters, and again, I've been kicked in the squishy bits pretty hard the last five or so years, so getting the confidence to say, "hey, I did a thing, and it's not bad" is no small accomplishment right now.

• MagicallyClueless

*deep breath* I DID IT

Here are the first three chapters of my fic: A Farm in the Forest
            Title is a work in progress. It's fine enough for now.

I am extremely, extremely nervous. But all of you guys are so nice and I've never seen anyone shred apart any fanfics yet so I think I'll be fine. But yeah, still scary. I'm used to sharing my art, but writing is so different. I think it's a different level of personal expression so it's harder for me to share. But, again, you guys are great. So I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. It's been a ton of fun so far, and I'm probably going to write even more today.

Satashi26, Rod&Root and InvaderRoxas like this.
            • DaimoMac

DaimoMac Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was told to post my first fic here. It has been so long since I actually wrote fanfiction as I have been mostly working on original content.

Chapter 1: The Accident

There are a couple of minute changes in the area, namely an access road to get onto the highway from Robin's place and Mineral Town is indeed a shoutout to Harvest Moon

Satashi26 and InvaderRoxas like this.
              • InvaderRoxas

InvaderRoxas Industrial Terraformer

Nice to see more people bringing their fanfics to the plate! I will definitely have a look-see at all of them! <3

• squidspeaker

squidspeaker Subatomic Cosmonaut

Part of me wants to read and write more fanfiction, but with the SATs, and AP exams coming up, I have little to no time to do so.

I do prefer novel style fanfictions though. Sadly not that many people persue them.

• Risukage

You're in luck, 'cause I've not typed anything out and I've got something close to ten chapters/segments already scripted, and there will need to be at least half that number to link everything. And they're not just little two-pages-paperback, either, I'm going full Tolstoy up in here. So...yeah... Gonna do some wordsmithing in the next couple of days, no later than this weekend. The current project at work eats my energy, and the commute home devours the rest. :rofl:

• Rod&Root

Rod&Root Void-Bound Voyager

• InvaderRoxas

InvaderRoxas Industrial Terraformer

I've got some AP exams coming up as well, definitely understand you there! The best thing you can do is take your time--studying is more important! Putting my readers on a 20+ day hiatus right now until exams disappear.

Novel-style fanfics are cool as well! I've always been a fan of them, especially when it's interesting enough to continue as far as they go. Unfortunately there seems to be plenty of stories with great potential that just get left in the dust. Nevertheless, I think writing that long of a fanfic is a good challenge that I may try to pursue...:notworthy:

Satashi26 likes this.
                      • Satashi26

Been really busy lately so haven't had a chance to read the new fics, but I'm getting there!! Stardust is winding down to an end so I'll have more time after that to really get into other people's stories. Speaking of novel style, Stardust is almost at 100,000 words!! I didn't think I'd get THAT far. But thanks to everyone here supporting, it's been an amazing journey!! Thanks everyone for being so awesome!!

• Pudassassin

Pudassassin Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Aww, So soon? Actually, I want it to be longer though, but that's entirely up to you, Satashi.

• Satashi26

I was thinking of ending Stardust and maybe making a sequel to it. But a slice of life can only go so far before it gets a bit boring. So I think a second story with more things in it would perk it up without straying far from the original story

InvaderRoxas and Pudassassin like this.
                            • Risukage

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Still working on my fic, except issues won't stop popping up. Most recent issue being my mother falling and sustaining a concussion, and paperwork in regards to medical issues. Basically been stuck on the same chapter since I posted the first one, though I have been able to come up with and note down the outlines of scenes though. So... More or less an apology for taking so damn long, since I'm not exactly happy about the time delay myself.

• DaimoMac

DaimoMac Subatomic Cosmonaut

Remember how I said I i'd post a new chapter on Sunday?

[​IMG]

• Satashi26

*takes a deep breath*

Chapter 18 of Stardust is up!

Pudassassin and InvaderRoxas like this.
                                  • MagicallyClueless

CONGRAAATTSSSSssss

i need to read.... 10 chapters, then. xD I think. I finished chapter 8 if I recall correctly, but I haven't been reading too much because I'm busy writing my own fiiicccccc

finishing yours is definitely on my list, though. best of luck for book II!

Satashi26 likes this.
                                    • Satashi26

Thank you~ I'm gonna read yours too! Now that I have some time before starting book II