Other Any fanfiction writers/readers?

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by crabrangoony, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Zaxaramas

Zaxaramas Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll see what i can come up with, but i feel like i'd get too caught up in how things like the sprinklers function, but if i can avoid too much thinking, it should be fun to write

• Disiesel

Disiesel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To be fair one of the most interesting books I've read in years was the "The Slow Regard of Silent Things' by Patrick Rothfuss which went vividly into describing simple daily things like how to cook something. The whole book was reading like a big piece of poetry. It's not the subject that defines the flow of a story but how it is written. Even the most boring things can be engaging to read if it's written to interest the reader. So a farmer fretting on how the sprinklers work that he just bought and can't figure out how to place them might be quite fun to read. And to be fair you actually gave me inspiration for a part I want to write on that now.

See writing fanfics for a game like Stardew Valley as kind of Let's Play but done in words not video. You're sharing the story of your playthrough in a form you're comfortable with. You can play this game in different ways so that when it comes to making a story out of it you are just as free to do so.

treebyriver, Celyia and InvaderRoxas like this.
      • InvaderRoxas

InvaderRoxas Industrial Terraformer

Well thanks! I got the nerve to just post it on my Wattpad account late last night--haven't used the thing in years. Gonna just go with the flow for now and may post it elsewhere. *le shrug*

I'm also glad to see some more writers showing up on this thread! Really glad to know that there are going to be more stories in the works. On Wattpad I could only find one other story before I gave up looking. :notworthy: I suppose the game did sort of just get released, but I am looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Lanx12 likes this.
        • Satashi26

Satashi26 Phantasmal Quasar

Hey guys, I'm going to start a 'fic myself soon. I have already petitioned fanfiction.net to make a category for the game, so with any luck, we'll have a good place to start looking and storing all the goodness. I hope to have my first chapter up in a day or so. I haven't written in a while so have to get all the rust off my creativity :)

My story will focus primarily on character development, and follow the farmer through a first person perspective. Normally I prefer third person, but the aspect of the game is projecting yourself onto the farmer and making your own story. This is why I chose first person, so the reader can experience things along with them. Currently I have plans for meeting Abigail, Leah, Robin, Maru, and Marlon/Gil from the adventurer guild.

This won't be just a re-telling of the story, but more of a "fleshed out" version of the world they're in that loosely follows events in the game. I'm really looking forward to creating this and sharing with all of you! I hope you'll all enjoy!

treebyriver and Lanx12 like this.
          • InvaderRoxas

That sounds pretty cool! I was thinking about posting on fanfiction.net as well, so it's great to see that a category might be officially coming into play!

treebyriver likes this.
            • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Archive of our own might be a good option in the future, but I don't know how their decision making for when a fandom earns a category works. Maybe in the meantime (and maybe even after a Stardew category is made on FF.net and/or AO3) there should be a SDV Fanfiction Master List?

treebyriver likes this.
              • InvaderRoxas

:) That would be a nice idea-especially seeing as there aren't too many fanfictions at the moment. I'd like to be able to see the progress and addition of works as well.

• Satashi26

Posted chapter one in the Fan Works forum :) I hope you all enjoy!

treebyriver likes this.
                  • Xireni

Xireni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I know AO3 has a few Stardew Valley fanfictions up already! Haven't read them, but it's good to start seeing fanfics for this game pop up. It's also good to see other writers in the forum!

On my part, I've got a few ideas for one-shots - nothing serious or plot-driven, mostly fluffy "in between" moments for relationships. Don't dare do a long-fic yet, because I never finish those, so starting small!

• InvaderRoxas

Well that's good! Really looking forward to more content being put out there for the video game, as I think it's got some great potential for one-shots and drawn out endeavors.
                      Excited to see what one-shots you've got planned Xireni! And I'll have to read your fanfic Satashi, just saw that it was posted! :) I should probably jump on the bandwagon here soon and put my own stuff out here, but I suppose I should wait til I've got a large amount of content. Gotta get all of the beginning stuff out of the way first before the deep content makes its way to the surface.

• Satashi26

What do you all consider a "long story" ? or long chapter? Word count wise? I generally try to go for about 3-4k words per chapter. I think that's a good read without demanding too much attention.

@Xireni, looking forward to some one shots!

@InvaderRoxas Don't wait too long, it's always nice to have support along the way :D

treebyriver likes this.
                        • InvaderRoxas

:3 No worries, I'll probably get to posting sometime this weekend as I work my way into Chapter 2. I like the use of 3-4k per chapter, and it's generally what I try to shoot for too, unless the scene is short. My Prologue isn't that long, but my first chapter looks like it's generally going to surpass the mark.

• Xireni

@InvaderRoxas: Looking forward to see what you write too! Although I agree - it's always the start that's hardest to write. Afterwards, it gets marginally better. Oh, and maybe if I could tear myself away from playing SDV long enough to sit down and write... *coughs*

@Satashi26: A long story for me usually means a multi-chapter fic - above seven, I think? I like to keep a chapter to a maximum of 2.5K. But like you said, 3k - 4k is a good mark to go for, otherwise it might risk having parts of "filler" which is nice at times, but unnecessary.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
                            • InvaderRoxas

@Xireni :iswydt: Same tho-this game is addicting for a reason! It's no wonder that stories are going to come from it, as long as we can put the game down too :rofl:

Lanx12 likes this.
                              • Xireni

@InvaderRoxas: It all goes back to the "one more day" syndrome... I've fallen victim to it more than once! xD I've put nearly 40+ hours into it at this point - maybe I should start writing to get myself off it, only for a bit... With such an open-ended game though, all sorts of ideas can come from it, plus all the implied backstory that's just begging to be explored.

• InvaderRoxas

@Xireni Oh yeah, definitely. 40+ is impressive! I think I've managed a solid 25 at this point, but considering how awesome and complex the story can be I know that that number will grow.
                                  I've found that starting the writing process has helped me not play it, or at least get distracted, as much. Setting a few goals for completing parts helps too! I plan on getting the 1st chapter of my story done by tomorrow evening, and just going from there. But then again, I can't help but go back to it for a couple of minutes (or lets be real here, more like hours) to grab some inspiration.

Lanx12 likes this.
                                  • Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

So far on my steam time I think at the 90 to 100 + hours This game is fun and like @Xireni said there's so many stories that can be told here and ways to go about it and even introduce new characters to quiet literally there is no end to stories that can be told. I'm just happy to be in with such an awesome group of writers and artists. Also note thanks to this game and you guys I'm writing like a chapter every other day now and releasing it Mondays, Wensdays, and fridays now with maybe a special chapter added on various days.

treebyriver and InvaderRoxas like this.
                                    • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I have under thirty hours because I can physically only sit up for so many before I have to lay down. (If I could spend as much time playing as I wanted, I would probably never be off the game.)

That said, scrapped a few sections of what I'm writing, by which I mean I may end up rewriting the whole thing in a limited third person perspective from Shane's view, because that is what seems to be happening.

Lanx12 likes this.
                                      • Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

I'm interested to see this about a third person perspective from Shane :3

• InvaderRoxas

@Lanx12 That's awesome! Which I had that type of writing speed, but maybe once spring break comes along for me I'll be able to shell out 3 chapters for a week's time. For now, I'll try and accomplish at least one chapter a week. I also found your story on Wattpad, and went ahead and followed ya! :)

@Ghostly Fox And I agree with Lanx12 w/ perspective-I've NEVER been able to pull of a good third perspective story, so I commend you for that! For some reason I can't grasp that sort of storytelling as I can with 1st person. Looking forward to reading your story!