1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to turn off surface backgrounds (parallax)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheNewTeddy, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheNewTeddy

TheNewTeddy Astral Cartographer

Can I turn off surface backgrounds? Or perhaps all the backgrounds? And if so how?
    Let me explain

So I've been doing some googling about slow FPS rates, as I get those. I have a dual core, 3.18, with 8 ram, and win 7 64. It's not the best computer. I also have a 1GB graphics card. Don't remember by who, ASUS?? Something like that. But.... I'm not making a bug report. Why? Well the sheer number of FPS problems I found though my google search tell me that these are "known" issues.

Anyway, I was futzing around with my cheaty character, when I noticed something. See at some point you go "underground" - water will no longer drain if you remove the background.
    When that happens my FPS skyrockets. And, when I return to "above ground" it plummets. When I reversed gravity, I noticed that when I rose above the clouds, and the background changed to stars, my FPS increased. Not as much as being underground, but a good amount.

As such, can I turn off surface backgrounds? Or perhaps all the backgrounds? And if so how?

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Uhhh... Vague memories but...
    I'm pretty sure there's a command to toggle the visible layers in the game.
    This includes the background layers.

Problem is I forget the syntax, but I'll go look it up now.

3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The only thing I can think of is through modding; reason I know this is I think I saw one on workshop that does something like that. Unsure if there is one on this site, as I haven't seen it just yet show up. But that is one way. Other than that, I really don't know...

4. TheNewTeddy

Hopefully, if this works (I can reliably turn off backgrounds and my FSP skyrockets as a result) it could become a 'general fix' for a large number of people with FPS issues!

I think it's /togglelayer
    I'll go back in-game and play around with it and see what happens

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  5. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Yup thats the one.
    A value of 3 toggles the background layer supposedly.

6. TheNewTeddy

Unfortunately I can confirm this command no longer works at all and was likely removed from the game.

Updated title to reflect that it seems the parallax is causing the issues?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  7. TheNewTeddy

Tamorr likes this.