Modding Help Applying dungeons to moons, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by North\WestTrees, Oct 17, 2019.

1. North\WestTrees

North\WestTrees Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, great humans from the stars.
    I am trying to make some dungeons to spawn in a new biome and have been to a few solar systems but with no luck in finding one of my planets to generate a dungeon. I am still a bit new and I have been using Frankin Universe GIT as a reference in figuring most of this stuff out as well as the tutorial on this forum.

Correct me if I am wrong but the dungeons in the following file should be the only place to spawn a dungeon or is there another step I am missing?

{ "op" : "add",
    "path" : "/planetTypes/bmgentleasteroid",
    "value" : {
    "threatRange" : [1, 1],
    "layers" : {
    "surface" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroid" ],
    "dungeonCountRange" : [1, 2],
    "dungeons" : [
    [1.0, "humancamp"],
    [1.0, "humanprison"]
    ]
    },
    "subsurface" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroid" ]
    },
    "underground1" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidunderground1" ]
    },
    "underground2" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidunderground2" ]
    },
    "underground3" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidunderground3" ]
    },
    "underground4" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidunderground4" ]
    },
    "underground5" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidunderground5" ]
    },
    "underground6" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidunderground6" ]
    },
    "core" : {
    "primaryRegion" : [ "bmgentleasteroidcorelayer" ]
    }
    }
    }
    },
    // MORE BEYOND THIS POINT

Any help would be extremely helpful and thanks in advance for taking the time to view this support thread.

2. Zaakari

Zaakari Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry I am rather late in replying.
    But I think you are correct.

If you can't find your custom planet, then perhaps try adding your dungeons onto an existing planet type to see if that (at least) works.
    You could try patching your dungeons onto the moon ("/planetTypes/moon"). Since there aren't any there by default, I imagine it should be easy to have one spawn.

Also, if you have made these dungeons yourself, then you could also try using the admin command "placedungeon <dungeonname>" (without the angle brackets) to see if your dungeons work.
    If not, then you could check the error logs.

3. North\WestTrees

Thanks for your reply.
    I did manage to figure it out it was possible but may have not been coded right, or I may have not traveled far enough giving that some planet sizes are larger than others.
    I ended up copying the dungeons for the original terrestial_world.config and pasting them in then removing the ones I did not want to use and it seemed to work after that.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I mean better than no reply right :)

4. Zaakari

You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

By the way, some time after my post, I happened to be attempting almost the same thing in a mod I am working on.
    It turned out that in order to get a dungeon to spawn on the moon, I had to add a "dungeonCountRange" array along with the "dungeons" array.
    Although, even then, I couldn't get more than one dungeon to spawn on each moon.
    Still things to learn have I. :nuruhappy:

5. North\WestTrees

Knowing a bit more now I can see that I was adding dungeonCountRange, not in the right place, this is mainly to be under (planetSizes) and is separate from the (planetTypes). I am not sure how big a moon is normally I would figure probably a small planet in that case only 1 will spawn without patching the planetSizes for small planets. If there are other sized moons then it could be anywhere from 1-3 dungeons this may be the case on gas giants where you may find larger planets sometimes.

Hopefully, that helps a bit.

6. Zaakari

Huh, I failed to notice "planetSizes" section. Interesting. Thank you.