Question Are you a pirate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FreeYourself, Nov 24, 2016.

1. FreeYourself

FreeYourself Orbital Explorer

• User has been banned. Reason: Advertising. Duration: Permanent.
    This topic isn't promoting pirating, I'm just curious. Are you a pirate? I'm not FBI or anything. [​IMG]
    Personally I first pirate games so I know if my PC is on the requirements, and if it is, I buy it. If not, I don't. I also use vpn 'cause read an article that I can watch Netflix for free. What about you?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

That sounds EXACTLY what FBI would say... :seriously:

:rofl:

But yes I usually get meself some music from time to time. :proper:

FreeYourself likes this.
  3. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Yes, every once in a while to test a game when there is no available demo to try.

Too many times before had I bought a game following all the market hype only to be disappointed with the actual content.

Starbound was like that.
    I liked it.
    I was not disappointed.
    I bought it soon afterward.

4. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

The poor man that I am cannot afford to waste money on games I don't like, so I always pirate games first, and I buy them afterwards only if I think I'll actually play them :p

FreeYourself likes this.
  5. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

When I was a young lad with lower standards, yeah I used to. But after an...incident that may or may not have involved a root kit virus, I have stopped.

6. Davoraptor

Davoraptor Tentacle Wrangler

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please bear in mind, folks, that encouraging piracy or linking to pirated material is forbidden under forum rules. Discussion in this context is fine, as long as the aforementioned rules are followed.

Personally, I occasionally did some shady things in this regard back when I was younger (mostly copying discs I'd borrowed from the library or rental place, without distributing beyond that), but still got most of my games and DVDs legitimately. Nowadays I stick solely to legitimate means. If I genuinely want something I know I'll enjoy, I'll buy it. If I'm at least somewhat interested but unsure of how much I'd enjoy it, I'll stick to reading about it on TV Tropes or sometimes even watching a Let's Play.

8. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

Arrgh, matey. Cast yer dubloons into me coinpurse lest I hang ye by yer tongues from me gallow an' take yer wenches, arrgh.

I may or may not have a book about how to talk like a pirate. <.</

9. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't have much money to spare on games, but Starbound is legit and so is My Summer Car. Saw some let's plays, checked out their requirements and yup, they're worth the money.
    So no, no pirates here matey. Never heard of them "pirates" before. Let me know when you sea one.
    Lost my bloody eye patch again...

Hidari likes this.
  10. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

Aye, ye scurvy landlubber. Lookit me avvy, savvy? I go round in me mighty battleship and pillage the Caribbean! Ok, fine, its a kayak and all I take are pictures, but... silence or I'll haul ye to davy jones!

Really though, no. The beauty of indie devolopers is that they make games I can afford to play and wouldn't dream of not supporting them for all the work that they do. I don't think I've bought a AAA type of game since Skyrim and probably won't buy another till Elder Scrolls VI, whenever that is. The indie community is too beautiful to leave. No pirating, big companies or small startups it doesn't really matter, give the devs the support they deserve for all their efforts.

11. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Me? No no. I dont like the idea of it.

12. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I bought a Lamb of God album through Amazon once. I couldn't download it for some reason and ended up just torrenting it. So does that count?

FreeYourself likes this.
  13. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I play few games in the first place (but those I play I play with a passion) and can't play the newest AAA titles due to technical constraints and the fact that most shooters and stuff look the same nowadays, so I either play older games or indie games, both of which are affordable enough not to warrant cheating the devs out of their paycheck for my amusement ;) the only exception I would make would be when I simply couldn't buy a game because it's not offered anywhere anymore, but with GoG I can't see this being the case except for extremely old AMIGA-games.

@Pangaea nice taste in music! :3

14. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe maybe so.

15. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pirates are the chosen people of the Great Noodly One. In the beginning there was a word. The word was "Arrrr!"

Jokes aside, that's a quicker way to get a virus than using your blender to make smoothies out of used tissues. It's usually cheaper to buy the game than it is to buy a replacement computer, or in rarer cases jail bail. So I personally don't, predominantly for financial reasons.

Surenu likes this.