1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Arm Cannons 1.0.1, Pleased Giraffe

Adds randomly generated, chargeable arm cannons to the game.

1. Lass.Isolet

Lass.Isolet Intergalactic Tourist

how do i change versions???

2. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

You go to the steam library and right click the Starbound game in the list, bring up properties and go to the Betas tab. Change it in there.

Stable update is my main focus though, it's why I have been so slow on updates lately. Once I'm finished updating for the new balance/loot tables/etc. A few arm cannons might break, but all of them will be weaker than the new ones coming Soon™.

3. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Oberic updated Arm Cannons with a new update entry:

Fixed spawning, dps, ammo tweaks. Pleased Giraffe compatible.

Read the rest of this update entry...

4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

5. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

6. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Update information, and what I'm thinking about doing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might make the Arm Cannons go back to being two handed so they can feel more powerful, this would make them feel a lot more powerful without overly inflating their worth. It's also tiring to make the most of them being one-handed (dual-wielding them = spam clicking two mouse buttons at once = painful, otherwise using a shield/normal weapon).
    If I make them two-handed, I could potentially ~once it becomes an option~, add a secondary attack (so three attacks per weapon; normal, charge, and alternate).

With them being two-handed, they have a lot more potential, at the cost of an offhand weapon/shield. I think it's worth it and it matches what most people think of with arm cannons (megaman, metroid, etc. Both rarely if ever use an off-hand tool).

The reason I haven't decided to go middle-ground and make both two-hand and one-hand boils down to two things:
    I don't want to drown out vanilla with too many arm cannons spawning (there would be 6 types +2 Crafted Arm Cannons).
    And if I were to do it, I would want the two-handed ones to be larger, which means dividing the sprites between large/small, and making a lot more to fill the gaps. I might do it eventually anyway, if there is demand for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am considering reducing their attack speed so that they'll naturally do more damage per hit, without reducing raw DPS. Right now they're 2-6 shots per second, but because of the charge thing it's very difficult to get all the shots possible. I think having each shot be more effective more often is better than having more potential shots if you can spam perfectly.

This is partially to make the charge attacks more damaging as well. The Arm Cannons are harder to fight with than Pistols, but have more damage and charge attacks to compensate, this would bring greater focus to that.

Combined with the previously mentioned 2-handed revert, this would make them one of the best guns you could find.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am definitely going to remove one line from the files that I didn't realize I could remove.
    Code:
    "walkWhileFiring" : true
    Vanilla guns do not use this code, bows and the vanilla "Buster" do however. But going back to Megaman and Metroid, Samus and Megaman do not stop running to fire, and neither do other Starbound guns. This will also make the arm cannons feel better when not ambush-charging.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "Nineshot" (charge shot, basically three tri-shots at different angles) which is paired with the Radmissle (normal shot) needs some changes. Those will finally be in the next update, along with some tweaks here and there, and possibly some new cannon bits (there's only so much one can do in such small sprite boxes).

7. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Oberic updated Arm Cannons with a new update entry:

Enhanced handling, reverted to two-handed, tweaks to ammo, a couple of gun parts.

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. Mechanos

Mechanos Aquatic Astronaut

Sounds nice. Kinda wish there were some screenshots.

9. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Screenshots I can do, I do have one rather old screenshot up still though :p

Mechanos likes this.
  10. Lass.Isolet

dude you're updating this mod so fast and so often i had to wait two days just to see if you're done yet... :rofl:

EDIT: I can't open the file... it just crashes whenever i try to extract it :/

11. otisjasmodeus

otisjasmodeus Subatomic Cosmonaut

can I make a request for either a very hard to find or impervium tier crafted arm cannon?
    utsuho reiuji's cannon from the touhou series fires nuclear burst shots (its a bullet hell game, so super OP weapon a boss has in it basically) but anyways I was just wondering if you thought this could be a good addition, also love the mod, adds a nice variety to weapon chests, also the charge shots can be hilarious (currently have a boulder launching armcannon)

anyways here is the character with the weapon firing (I hope at least):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

gun fires at 1:25,1.33, my personal favorite 2:26,and 2.36

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  12. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Right now there are impervium tier craftable arm cannons, they're found in the replicator and have fully randomized ammo sets (150 combinations).
    They cost 2 of each compound, 10 core fragments, and 5 erchius crystals (buyable at the infinity express) to craft.

As for very large explosions, those aren't the easiest thing to make work in Starbound. I've experimented with it, handling them is... problematic.
    Edit: Oh, I checked out the video (didn't see it when I started typing this reply!). I was actually going to try to make a beam like at 1:25/1:33. I just had to get everything else that the Pleased Giraffe update broke updated. Then I kinda forgot about it while trying to polish up what I have already..

I had a drought for like a month or two waiting for the Pleased Giraffe update to hit. :p
    Besides, have you seen @sayter and his frackin' universe mod? It's scary how much he updates! :wot:

I doubt I'm going to update again for a while (unless someone finds a bug for me to squash), so enjoy it in its current state. Everything finally feels really good. Not quite happy with their colors, but that isn't an issue (even if I change every color, any existing ones will be unaffected).
    That's odd, I haven't had anyone else with issues opening the zip file. Are you trying to extract it, or opening it and copying the contents? Do you have winzip or another similar program?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  13. otisjasmodeus

otisjasmodeus Subatomic Cosmonaut

ah, didn't realize (I thought I didn't see any, guess I overlooked them, amazingly, considering Ive been trying to get a bad ass arm cannon and the stupid strong pistols in frackin universe to dual wield :) )

14. Lass.Isolet

i'm using mzip... i downloaded that from the windows store so it should be legit... and i'm trying to extract it to a folder i named "starbound mods storage" :p nad no i haven't seen @sayter

15. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I have never heard of mzip and my Starbound doesnt have a folder named "starbound mods storage".

the path to my starbound mods folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods

Where did you get your copy of Starbound? I heard that it was coming to windows 10 store, but the windows 10 store prevents modding, or so I've heard.
    Go get winzip or 7zip or winrar or something. It might help.

16. Lass.Isolet

i just created a folder named " starbound mods storage"... it's where all the mods i downloaded go so it would be easy to find

17. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

So mzip won't let you?
    What about double left-clicking the zip, and dragging the Arm Cannons folder inside out of it?

Does mzip give you trouble on any other mods?

18. Lass.Isolet

no i've always been able to extract other mods no problem... and the older versions of this mod... also i mzip works like an app on a phone... it doesn't open like winrar

19. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I really don't know what else to tell you.. I just tried downloading the mod myself and extracting, no problems at all. >.<

20. Lass.Isolet

well i guess i should just cut my losses and just try to find a copy of winrar :/

EDIT: okay so i got the newest version of arm cannons installed... problem is it only works properly in singleplayer... when i shoot it in multiplayer it just teleports me back to my ship... sooo i guess it's still a win coz now i have a home teleporting device :rofl:...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015