NPC Armoring Your Guards

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Roozard, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Roozard

Roozard Space Hobo

◘ I like to make big towns and populate them with plenty of people, guards, and merchants. However, the guards are completely and utterly useless, they die in three or four shots from level one monsters on my home world and can't even protect the people in my town. It would be nice if you could create armor and outfit your guards just like your player with armor, show armor, and weapons so that they'll actually be able to protect your town.
    You'd be able to add or remove the armor at any time and if the guard died they could either drop all held items on death or they just disappear along with them. I would really like to be able to give my guards in my guard tower some guns so that it actually serves a purpose instead of my guards derpily hopping around inside trying to get to the bird on the roof.
    -Example of how the Guard's armor window could look. Much like a players, just a bit different.
    Suggestion.jpg
    ◘ Also in a bit of a side note.. It'd be nice if the guards stayed at their post, and would stop chasing creatures after a certain distance instead of running off into the night never to be heard from again. I'd like to have a functional town, not one that kills itself in a day and wastes my pixels and steel.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Chazori

Chazori Space Hobo

Was about to post something like this and I completely and totally agree. I have the same inspiration as you as well as troubles! My guards get destroyed and my townsfolk do, too!

Your ideas are fantastic and support them. Even just having the guards scale with you slightly as you advance in tiers. In addition, It would be nice toeither be able to equip them with weapons or, at the very least, be able to have a different spawner ; Guard (RANGED) Spawner or a Guard (MELEE) Spawner.

Thank you for posting this, Roo. I hope the Devs look into something like this in the near future for us town builders. ^^ I especially hate seeing flying monsters slip over top of my town gates and strike death from above on my defenseless townfolks or guards, even.

Roozard likes this.
  3. VinchenzoJackal

VinchenzoJackal Big Damn Hero

This is all good ideas that I totally support.
    That you can befriend NPCs already and recruit them is good.
    But the AI for them is flawed to a fault and their gear is so poor it is useless at specific times and places.
    Giving items to NPCs is a standard feature in many complex games.
    Even if you never get the item back, it is worth the donation, as the NPC you value will live better, and even fight better if a Guard.

Roozard likes this.
  4. Chazori

Chazori Space Hobo

Exactly. Also, it gives more reason to sink materials/weapons you find into them instead of just trashing or stashing them. c:

Motie and Roozard like this.
  5. Roozard

Roozard Space Hobo

Agreed, I think it'd be pretty awesome to be able to at least have Ranged and Melee spawners be a separate thing, also on that note that you could choose the race of the guard you're spawning like your villagers. I'm tired of having to spawn a guard 5-10 times and waste mountains of pixels just to get an avian that'll die in three shots by the time I return with more spawners.
    I think it'd be pretty great to be able to custom equip the guards yourself though, so you could give them all your old armor as you progress through the game, get rid of some of your extra pixels instead of losing 40% of them to storing them in chests, and instead of refining every ore you get once you're past that tier, or just stockpiling it never to be seen again, that you could use it to craft your guards, and maybe even villagers, armor to use. I'd love to equip my guards with some duel pistols, or a rocket launcher, or some swords and shields to keep my villagers from harm, and make them look how I'd like to fit the theme of my town.
    And yea, I despise it when I have 5 or 6 guards at the edges of my town... a bird flies overhead, they jump around in the guard tower all derpy, and it just starts vomiting blood all over everything and killing everyone while they dance in the tower with their melee weapons, give me some ranged guards to get rid of these things!

Even if this is a bit extra, it'd be pretty cool fi you could even create the guard by hand just like when you make your character! So if you want, you could just randomize it and move on, or get the to look exactly how you'd like, it'd be pretty awesome~
    Plus on a side note, I'd love to actually have functional shops in my town apart from a chef who sells kiwis and corn and a wizard who's hunkered down in my cellar playing with stimpacks all day. I'd love to have cloth vendors selling some cool clothes, weapon merchants that either scale with the planet level or the level of the player when you spawn them, and more, maybe even vendors that can buy things and can re-sell them, possibly infinitely if it's a common item or for a higher cost, like you sell a wheat seed for 1 pixel and you can buy an infinite amount for 2 each or something along those lines. There's so many thing that can be done for the town NPCs to make creating a town have so many more possibilities and be so much more fun.

VinchenzoJackal likes this.
  6. James009

James009 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anything that makes creating player towns with NPC's more interesting and fun is a good idea. I support this.

7. kungfudude

kungfudude Void-Bound Voyager

I hate how my guards attack me every time when i accidentally attack them and when one of my villager get killed by monsters the other villagers say " what have you done " I don't know if the villagers are talking to me or the monsters