WIP Artisan Pantry

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Lead_poisoning, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Lead_poisoning

Lead_poisoning Void-Bound Voyager

This is my first major mod for any game ever, and also my first C# project, so please bear with me. Any release dates are estimates and probably not even very good estimates.

Overview
    The goal of this mod is to add more variety and depth to keg and preserves jar goods, and possibly eventually expand on the existing mechanics with new recipes and machines. The mod will eventually include more specific names and sprite variation for many existing artisan good recipes.

Roadmap
    Stage 1: Renaming the products of some existing artisan goods recipes. See list below. Suggestions welcome.
    Stage 2: Sprite variation for existing artisan goods.
    Stage 3: Production time, sell price, and villager preference variation for specific artisan goods.
    Stage 4: Crop item quality affects artisan good quality and value.
    Stage 5+???: Cross-compatibility with other relevant mods. Addition of Still and various hard liquor recipes *including schnapps unless someone else has already done a good job of this in a different mod by this time. Addition of new cooking recipes using previously modified artisan goods.

Stage 1: Goods to be renamed

Keg:
    Apple Wine => Apple Cider
    Strawberry Wine => Strawberry Cordial

Preserves jar:
    Hot Pepper Jelly => Hot Sauce the more you know
    Cherries Jelly => Cherry Jelly (this typo just annoys the shit out of me)
    Orange Jelly => Orange Marmalade
    Pickled Tomatoes => Ketchup (IRL it's basically squished tomatoes and vinegar, close enough)

New recipes:
    Plum wine and jelly

*I will not be renaming anything to hard liquor in stage one (ex. corn juice => corn whiskey, potato juice => vodka) because I don't want to replace existing recipes with anything too different from the original. I am tentatively planning to implement hard liquor recipes with a separate machine in the distant future.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
      Trifoilum, rhomboid, zyymurgy and 2 others like this.
    • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Out of curiosity, why change the hot pepper jelly? Is it for future recipes that would require hot sauce?

Lead_poisoning likes this.
      • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

J/W would this entail recoloring like the orange marmalade and such too? Its kinda bothersome to me that everything is like a default purple for fruit / green pickle jar for vegetables.

• Lead_poisoning

Yes. Also because pepper jelly sounds kind of dumb in my opinion.

Yes, recolors and sprite variation comes in stage 2.

taintedwheat likes this.
          • Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

Pepper jellies and jams are very good, I make them a lot. Still, awesome idea. Look forward to seeing more :)

• Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Yes, what Nichili said. I really don't care what you call it as long it means more cooking recipes, but I do know some people who are very fond of pepper jellies and at least around here they're a popular choice for smaller, local jelly makers.

• Lead_poisoning

Wow, I had literally never heard of jelly made from peppers! I think I'll probably leave that one alone, then.

At present however I am still learning the basics of C# and trying to get the necessary software to play nice with my computer, so it's going to be awhile before I can release the first alpha.

• Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

I suspect pepper jelly might be a regional thing, although I have no idea how large or small a region it might be. Anyway, we can all do our best to be patient. Best of luck to you with the code, I'm sorry I can't help but I'll be cheering you on. :nuruflirt:

• pinkie50

pinkie50 Void-Bound Voyager

Can you currently ferment potatoes to get vodka?
                    brewing orange to get triple sec?
                    plums, cherries and apricots into plum cherry and apricot schnapps respectively?

you could probably use the wine bottle and just recolour it to translucent for vodka and schnapps

enticed by the scope of this idea, would love to see it come to bear fruit

• EighthDoctor

EighthDoctor Intergalactic Tourist

Maybe for the new machines, there could be alternate ways to produce the cooking ingredients that you otherwise buy at Pierre's. Like a refinery that turns beets into sugar? A mill that grinds wheat into flour? A fermenter that ages grapes and/or apples into vinegar?

• Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Funny you should ask that. You should take a look at the Welcome to the Rice Fields mod. If this mod and that mod could eventually be made to work together, it would be amazing. But checking the timetable in the first post suggests that is a ways off yet.

• Lead_poisoning

Putting potatoes in a keg as of now just makes potato juice. The only non-fruit crops that make alcohol when placed in a keg are wheat and hops. Schnapps is an interesting idea, I will stick that on the list.

I'm really excited about what Sgt.Pineapple is doing with his mod and if it can be done easily I would happily implement some simple compatibility with WttRF in earlier stages. He's adding a ton of stuff and he was the one I had in mind when I said I would only add a still if no one else had already done a nice job with one.

• Lead_poisoning

Alright, I'm aiming to release 0.0.1 with item renames next weekend, April 2nd-3rd. It's not an April Fools joke, but I also might not be able to make that deadline so take it with a heaping scoop of salt.

EDIT: I got sick and then realized I have two papers and two exams this week, so that release date is probably not going to happen. Sorry guys.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
                              taintedwheat and zyymurgy like this.