Asgarden

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by M_Sipher, Nov 5, 2014.

1. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Oh maaaaan that stair design is AMAZING! Gonna steal that...

2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

bridge1.png

Hmmm. I like the IDEA, but those poles... I'm not sure. I want this to look kinda piecemeal and scavenged but not sure using block supports will relay that well...

3. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I'd say there's probably a few things you can do with support and still have it look scavenged. The inset panels supporting the ends of the bridge would probably be better replaced with the sloped rusty panels instead since they'd be a better fit for the look you're going for. You can also create an illusion of poor repair by having gaps in the support structure and using the paint tool to create patches of rust on the bridge itself.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Yeah, you might have a better time placing blocks in the background to look like a pillar / archway sort of thing.

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

bridge2.png

Yeah, I'm thinking this works better. The color change alone.

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

saloon.png

Welcome to the Powderkeg!

TheFloranChef and IxFa like this.
  7. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

Is that a coffin next to your character?

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yes, but I've since replaced that with a barrel, crate and Novakid-style record player for ambiance. Across the hall I figure it's the place to put an eatery.

dojo bridge.png
    dojo bridge 2.png

Turned the dojo into an island dojo!

9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

steam-rest 2.png

Some fine-ish dining options now! Plus the steam/boiler room below helps keep the kitchen running.

steam-rest 3.png

And since these rooms push the outer wall out... a little structural support. Working with more knocked-out walls and whatnot.

10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

starter bridge.png

Sidetracking with something different! Found a Volcanic planet with a Foundry, terraformed it to Jungle. Building up the area into a much larger industrial station, with more interconnected buildings, cliffside installations, actual interior spaces, etc.

This game does need more "modern" city-type things.

I may re-terraform it into something else then re-re-terraform it BACK just to get the overgrowth on all the new stuff. Then I'll go through and clean out some of it to look less ruined.

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

bountyhouse trove 01.png

So I'd had two ladies just enclosed in a dirt cave away from monsters. The crown lady was a bounty that surrendered, then asked me to find her friend. Coming back to the game after a moving break, I thought I'd do a small build to get back in the groove and give them a house...

Hey, what's that on top of the cabi-

bountyhouse trove 02.png

Um...

Well. Hey, good on her for saving up for a rainy day.

bountyhouse trove 03.png

12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Took a mild break for a variety of reasons, but back at it with lots of minor-to-medium rebuilds. Nothing super-big, but I felt I should share this one.

I am a fussy fussy soul with my aesthetics. I have tried valiantly to "hide" the railings with my elevator projects, and I thought I'd share a version I worked out for the hospital building that did not go to final, but was a fun exercise in wiring and railwork whose applications I DO plan on implementing elsewhere.

barrack vator 3.png
    Originally, I used this to "fill" the gaps in the floor for the elevators. Though it was functional, I didn't like the way it broke up the floor visually. And I thought to myself, "Self, what about the Secret Trapdoor item?" PROS: yes, that would look nice. CONS: as I would find out in implementation, the wiring is a bit... complex.

Hospital elevator wiring 1.png Hospital elevator wiring 2.png
    As evidenced here. But I'm'a break it downtown Julie Brown. (In the end the wiring was actually MORE complex than in that image which is why I didn't fully implement it but I'll get there in a few.)

There's a pair of Pressure Plates at each Stop, wired the the Trapdoors below. The Rail Sensors at each floor are wired to the Trapdoors above. Ideally they'd be one block higher to look like doorframe decor (as shown on the top floor), but that high and the timing doesn't work: the Tram hits the doors before they're fully open. That spacing MIGHT work with normal Rail Hatches, but those didn't give me the look I wanted. (Man, I'd love a Secret Rail Hatch item.) As I was working with a pre-made building, wasn't gonna rebuild the whole damn tower for that, but future scratch-built projects can use that info.

That takes care of normal riding, but the call-tram function? Lil tricky. The button used to call the Tram is wired to the Trapdoors to open them immediately, but NOT directly to the Tram Stop, as a simultaneous activation results in the Tram hitting the opening floors before they're fully open if they're being called downward, even with a Rail Hatch in use. So the button is also wired to a Delay Gate which is then wired to the Stop, so the floor opens, THEN then Tram is called like a half-second later, and smooth sailing.

Now HERE'S where the wiring gets... messy, which ultimately I didn't get a screenshot of in "final" but well. You more or less have to have every floor's button open EVERY floor on the rail above it to accommodate a call from any higher floor. You could simplify this a bit I believe by wiring all the buttons to a OR Gate then having that go to all the Trapdoors/Hatches, but either way, the more floors you have on the rail, the messier the wiring gets. Rail Hatches simplify things only a bit. And I was looking at a six-floor system here.. so in the end I scrapped it and went with this...

hiding vator bits.png
    Which I'm not as fond of but the wiring is as simple as railwork gets. Those Rail Sensors aren't actually wired to anything, they're pure decor as I liked that bit of accidental discovery.

But I put a lot of trial and error into this minor thing I ultimately didn't use but dammit I'm sharing.

13. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Freaking awesome build!

moremuffin likes this.
  14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

15. Jonesy

Love those stairs. And the perspective tricks... I'll be in my bunk study.

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I just wanna say it's kind of a pain in the ass how hard it is to get a normal Scientist Tenant in this game. Most of the objects with the proper tag also have the one for the Miniknog Researcher attached, and that tends to override. It's why there's the Seismograph and three damn microscopes in there.

You'd think the fossils and fossil station would have the science tag too...

17. Jonesy

Yeah, I've had that problem too. For some reason, I don't want a MiniKnog scientist in Protectorate City Hospital...

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The cobble-togethering of the home continues, after a break for other things.
    asgarden background building 1.png asgarden background building 2.png

Playing with some background buildings to give things more depth. And some false perspective tricks with the wood cabin. Doors are wired to stay open with a stunningly simple solution, the NOT Switch:
    background door wiring.png

Of course, actual placement is sometimes a fight to make sure the door stays open in the right direction.

Also across from the bonelab is the buglab. Somehow I haven't got them all yet.
    buglab.png

And the main residential area's shuffled, with the Powderkeg moving, and a common cafeteria available from both wings
    restaurant 2.png

And one billion minor tweaks all around.

19. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Very nice building, as always! And the doors as background objects are an amazing idea.
    I've found that if you open them by hand the way you want them (Doors open away from you every time) and THEN attach them to the NOT gate, they will stay open in that direction.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Not Asgarden, this is an entirely different planet a few stars over, but it's gonna be where the bonelab and some other things are going instead of cramming them into what is supposed to be effectively a refugee camp...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This ain't gonna be a small build.