Attracting wild animals to your farm

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Baruch_S, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

I had a thought in another thread, and I wanted to flesh it out more. What if we had a way to attract wild animals to our farms? Here's what I'm thinking.

1. You attract wild animals with feeders/feeding stations
    2. You get food by processing various crops (run sunflower seeds or corn through a mill for feed, etc.)
    3. Animals are seasonal (certain birds don't show up in winter, etc.) and show up around the feeder, taking off if you get too close but returning when you step away again.
    4. You load up the feeder on day 1. Day 2 the RNG rolls to see if animals come and what kind. Morning of day 3 you may find items scattered around the feeder based on the animals that showed yesterday
    So far, I've thought of a few animals. Geese and other birds could show up during spring, summer, and fall (maybe have different birds per season), and they'd drop different colored feathers. Rarely, you get a peacock to show up and drop a feather just 'cause. Squirrels could show up year-round and drop hazelnuts. Raccoons are rare during any season and drop shiny objects (gems, weapons, rings). Deer show up in the winter and may leave behind shed antlers. Wild pigs could also be an option; they'd leave mushrooms or truffles under the feeder.

Faeryheart and Catterhorst like this.
    • GARRthePIRATE

GARRthePIRATE Big Damn Hero

This is a pretty interesting idea. Though I'm not sure what benefit it brings. I dont mean to be mean. Just having different birds, I feel like it would need more to gain than some feathers to sell off.

• Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

No, you're right that it has very little monetary benefit. It's more of an ambient, aesthetic change than a serious game mechanic for making money.

• dwuff

dwuff Phantasmal Quasar

I'd love to see a few more wild animals. The seagulls, squirrels and rabbits are cool. It would be nice to have a few rare ones that also make an appearance. No benefits or rebalancing necessary, just adds more flavour!

Faeryheart and GARRthePIRATE like this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Would be nice if flower gardens would attract swarms of butterflies in the Spring and Summer, like you sometimes see bursting out of a tree when you shake it.

Faeryheart, Baruch_S and Catterhorst like this.
            • dwuff

dwuff Phantasmal Quasar

That would be lovely!

• jafred2015

jafred2015 Void-Bound Voyager

And then there's a wild bear attack. But seriously. This would be nice for ambience. Putting in wild/sunflower seeds/bait to attract birds, honey/flowers to attract butterflies, and fish to attract seagulls. Or the Mouse scarecrow from the Museum rewards could increase the sightings of owls flying overhead. Kale/Bok Choy to attract more wild rabbits.

Faeryheart and Focean like this.