Automated Mining and Manufacturing

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Weiland, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Kirby64

Kirby64 Space Kumquat

Yes, as an end-game thing.
    We have much more important things to do like taking showers with your poptop

Sgt. Sprocket likes this.
  2. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

I personally like mining, but sometimes I like fighting and building more.
    That and my level 85 Serperior need me...but I want to mine at the same time...

3. Joker

Joker Starship Captain

Look at http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/crafting-inventory-and-living-in-space.9820/ ,if what Seria said is true ,we would be able to build robotic miners.

This array allows the creation of “husks” or bots, each with different effects and slots. Each bot has an AI chip, which allows for the bot to work and fight.

Each type of bot requires different parts, for example, a crawler would require robotic limbs, while a roller would require wheels.
    1. Mining AI:

This AI digs in a pre-set direction, and will mine out any ores that are nearby. Once its inventory is full, it goes back to the originating point, and then waits until either the player takes the material, or it can be toggled to stash the items in a chest.

4. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

I hope they keep some elements of manual labour to begin with then as the game progress's you unviel mining mech's etc... this would give starbound a uniqueness amd depth to the game.
    so mining robots near the end game hell yeah!

5. Seeker89

Seeker89 Void-Bound Voyager

Why not?

Having almost limitless planets, if you find one no one else has; you could send a few mining robots down to strip it clean. What would it hurt?
    Making it near to the beginning of the end so you can do something with the stuff.
    Seeker

6. Weiland

Weiland Big Damn Hero

Again, it doesn't have to affect the actual blocks and terrain; it could directly affect the environment, but any resource extraction could just as easily be behind the scenes and not involve any deformation (although, I could see in some circumstances degradation of certain block types, as per lowering of soil quality and erosion - unless it wasn't an invasive resource extractor).

7. Seeker89

Seeker89 Void-Bound Voyager

I guess don't see a problem with deformation and total resource removal.

8. Weiland

Weiland Big Damn Hero

Hard to control and it's irreversible.

9. Taitinator

Taitinator Big Damn Hero

seeing as the is procedural generation and fairly random, on top of the usual biomes, dungeon ect why not have randomly generated abandon quarrys? Would give an eerie atmosphere on dark planets and theres no telling what rewards you could find however this comes at a slight cost to the player... You have to get resources and fix the quarry to get it up and running again.

Cosmin Negoita likes this.
  10. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

If I can automate mining and resource collecting I'd be happy... as I could craft my galaxy conquering armada, fully automated :sneaky:

11. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

This could be one GREAT thing!

12. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

perhaps some really creepy enemies go for a dead space like atmosphere...

13. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

As long as it requires constant electricity (hopefully not free-powered)
    And daily maintenance.
    Cause it's gonna be OP once you get a tycoon going. Or until minerals runout....OH!

"Police: Hold-up we got some illegal leechers here!"

14. SchuldKruz

SchuldKruz Big Damn Hero

How about something like a Quarry?
    Example of it would be the one from Buildcraft from the Minecraft mod.

Tryx10 likes this.
  15. samEntropy

samEntropy Orbital Explorer

Automated mining would be amazing. I wouldn't rely on it, but rather use it to complement the mining I am doing by hand. I would use automated mining to get the basic resources for building large things and go mining for the rarer materials myself.

16. SchuldKruz

SchuldKruz Big Damn Hero

It would probably be something you'll use when you're away from your home world. Probably when you're exploring.

17. samEntropy

samEntropy Orbital Explorer

Yeah, that's the times I would want it running. That way I'm not bogged down mining absolutely everything I need for scouting space, looking for planets to destroy.

18. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Weapons are found procedurally generated, armor is found procedurally generated, devices and posters are found in structures like laboratories and dungeons.
    Items can also be bought with Pixels. Pixels can be earned from quests, most likely.

This raises the question: How much do you really need to mine in Starbound?
    I don't think that we really know.

Also on your home planet you can use a UFO for massive terraforming, which means that it should be a breeze to make a huge hole in the ground in case you wanna go deep to mine something rare.

I like Minecraft Quarries, but the question is do you ever really need that many blocks in Starbound?
    I guess we'll have to wait and see.

19. SchuldKruz

SchuldKruz Big Damn Hero

I think you wouldn't mine as much in Starbound. I think you'll only mine to build infrastructures and for weapon crafting and stuff.

20. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

From what I can see so far once an item is made there is no durability so you won't need a constant flow of resources like in minecraft. I could see resources being used constantly for other things like building and as a requirement for other abilities such as having a second home planet.