1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP AutoMod v0.1 -- Server Moderation Utility

Discussion in 'Other' started by Coffeeman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

Starbound is lacking a server moderation utility and I've come to fix that! I have written a (relatively) simple program that allows you to access the IP address of users via looking up their username. You can use their IP to block them from your server using:
    Windows: http://support.powerdnn.com/kb/a482/block-an-ip-or-ip-range-using-windows-ip-security-policy
    Linux + Mac: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-i-block-an-ip-on-my-linux-server/
    The program I wrote is a little more complicated that I had hoped, but works just fine. When a user joins it makes a note the connections IP, and then the user types into chat their IP. This is then matched with a IP from a connect statement in the server log, validating it and binding it to them. Once that process is complete, you can look up users IP addresses via their usernames. If a user neglects to enter their username, they are added to a list of allocated IP addresses, that you (the server owner) can ban (or whatever.)
    To use, you need to install python 2.7 from http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.6/ (eventually ill add a compiled EXE... :zzz:) and then download my attached files. Place bolth files in the gamedata/common/Starbound directory, NOT in assets. Then run automod.py . This will initiate Automod, and it will log to a file called automod.pkl . Once Automod is running you can access the data by running automod_viewer.py from there you can see a list of usernames, and the IP they are from. Using this, you can ban users that are violating rules! :eek:
    You will want to inform your users, as users have to chat their IP addresses within 20 seconds of connection or be put on the warning list!:unsure: (They are taken off if they identify, FYI.) If they do, then they show up in the Username, IP database (accessible via automod_viewer.py .)

FAQ:
    • Can you make an EXE: I said I would calm down.
    • I don't know how to install python: Ask me
    • It wont work (window opens and closes or doesn't work): Ask me
    • Other questions: Ask me

Planned features (in order of priority):
    1. Compile
    2. Settings
    3. Make GUI
    4. Web service?
    5. Profit!
    Since the forum is falling apart as is, here is a download link: http://www.filedropper.com/automod01

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

This is great work! Hope to see a nice GUI later for this we need some server admin tools!

3. Patriarchy

Patriarchy Poptop Tamer

How would that stop someone from using /nick to impersonate someone and cause misidentification of the offending player, which could possibly lead to blocking the wrong IP address and a series of 'trolololos' from the antagonistic party?

4. "They have to chat their IP addresses"
    Ugh. Bad implementation right there. I know we all are exposed to very limited API, but thats not a very good solution to the problem. I guarantee you that a good 50% of people dont know their IP address, and on top of that, whats stopping me from spoofing my IP in chat to something like 127.0.0.1?

5. "They have to chat their IP addresses"
    Ugh. Bad implementation right there. I know we all are exposed to very limited API, but thats not a very good solution to the problem. I guarantee you that a good 50% of people dont know their IP address, and on top of that, whats stopping me from spoofing my IP in chat to something like 127.0.0.1?

6. Patriarchy

Patriarchy Poptop Tamer

Yeah, unfortunately. But still, I have to give a hand to Coffeeman for trying to improve the situation. It's certainly something that is sorely needed right now (Well, I say 'sorely' with a nod and a wink, because this is afterall a beta in which everything is going to get asploded every little while).

And someone stepping up to provide a solution is something that I can appreciate! :3c

7. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

Users can use whatismyip.com and it automatically validates IPs. But yes. Its a terrible implementation, but the only possible one!

8. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Intergalactic Tourist

9. Sam_3d

Sam_3d Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ok what should i do with dynamic ip griefers
    and more qustions - why cant you just show me ip adresses of people?
    why i need all that, why not just give me the list of players with ip

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013