Modding Discussion Bardic Music Mod idea(?) WIP

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Greyh3, Jul 24, 2016.

?

Would you like to see this mod made?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Greyh3

Greyh3 Void-Bound Voyager

I love the instruments and music in the game, but I wish it was a little more useful, useful enough that having a dedicated musician can be fruitful. That's when this mod comes in.

I'm starting to create a mod that will allow instruments to give passive buffs to allies, or debuff enemies. Whether it be healing, increase mining/building rate/speed, slow or damage enemies, etc. This will essentially add the bard class to the game.

I'd love it if anyone can give input on the idea, if there's any existing mods like this, or the general viability of the mod.

Thanks for reading.

2. Lord Sinclair

Lord Sinclair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would LOVE to see this mod made!!!

My favorite way to play Starbound is with a grenade launcher in one hand and a microphone in the other, thus allowing me to play music whilst safely exploring planets. If you can craft a mod allowing me to safely explore planets just by playing music, that would be fantastic!

Some suggestions:

~ Allow players to use both microphones at the same time (one in each hand) for duets and songs with two parts!

~ Do NOT give buffs/debuffs solely based on the instrument! I don't want to be forced to play the Dulcimer for all my songs just because it deals the most damage or has the best ability. Might I suggest something similar to the Dyes system where you can craft a buff/debuff/etc and apply it to the instrument of your choosing?

~ Make it so songs don't stop playing while sorting through chests and inventories! It's such a pain to be in the middle of a good song and have to cut it short because I need to click on a blueprint or add a new codex to my collection.

~ Add a radio, jukebox, or something similar, that can be crafted, placed, and used to play songs whilst doing something else, like farming, mining, or building; bonus points if there's a backpack version for maximum versatility!

~ Add a playlist system so multiple songs can be queued to play one after another! This would be handy for the aforementioned radio, as well as for during long periods of engaged combat during which there is minimal opportunity to scroll through the song menu to pick out appropriate battle music.

I really hope you get some support for this mod! I think this is about the best thing that could happen to Starbound for all us wanna-be star-bards!

3. legoblob

legoblob Void-Bound Voyager

I've been wanting something like this for ages. Some sort of toggle that would allow us to swap what buffs we are using would be amazing. Anything from Damage to Healing to even something simple like Mining or movement speed would be awesome.

I feel like, even though thematic, limiting the buffs to an instrument or song would be a bad idea, but whatever you can manage I would greatly appreciate.