1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Ship?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by achaven, Jul 2, 2016.

1. achaven

achaven Poptop Tamer

What is your favorite ship among the races in Starbound? I personally prefer the Avian ship the most!

[​IMG]
    Apex Ship

[​IMG]
    Avian Ship

[​IMG]
    Floran Ship

[​IMG]
    Human Ship

[​IMG]
    Hylotl Ship

[​IMG]
    Glitch Ship

[​IMG]
    Novakid Ship

2. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was hoping you would show the fully upgraded version of each, because that is the biggest factor in deciding.
    I've only played Hylotl and Novakid and I would say I like the Novakid's more because it is easier to navigate.

3. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

It all up to personal opinions but I find your to be somewhat odd. Most people I seen agree that Novakid long train of a ship is annoying due to the length and the Hylotl ship have the perfect balance of space and required movement to reach any of it.

Nothing wrong with your opinion though. Just the irony of it given those are the only two races you play and people I met feel the other way around.

With that said my favorite is Hylotl. Worth noting though if you can deal with the Glitch castle design it is currently the ship with the most rooms endgame iirc.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

Floran and Glitch, mostly Floran. Sure, it's small, but 1: It's owned by a Floran, 2: it has a built in greenhouse :D

5. LazuIi

LazuIi Void-Bound Voyager

I'm pretty biased with Avian stuff, but aside from their ship, i'd say Glitch. Something about flying a castle-themed ship around the galaxy sounds neat. I'm also digging Floran's asymmetrical ship design and how most of their parts come from other ships.

6. Sageheart

Sageheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally love the Human ship since it is perfectly symmetrical. <3
    That and the rooms are plentiful, making themed areas a bit easier.
    It does lose a few points for having a cat on board though. :p

7. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the aesthetic of the hylotl after a few upgrades the best, and the layout is also nice. I'm another odd one who also likes the Novakid train. I like the simplicity of it, I haven't ever upgraded it to the point where it's very long, though I don't imagine that would about me either. Maybe I should try that out and put a teleporter towards the back and see if that works.

Sageheart likes this.
  8. WoogaBooga

WoogaBooga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd choose the Glitch ship, because what's more badass than flying around space in a castle? :nurucool:

9. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Floran hands down, with mods, Avali is pretty cool. After those two, Human and Glitch, haven't messed with the rest long enough to get a ship to max size.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Floran has the most amount of ship space... Don't remember which one is the smallest. That is when fully upgraded. It was actually figured out a while back in order from most space to least amount. Also don't remember which thread unfortunately...

Of course I don't choose floran due to that; I just like the species. I like many of the others as well.

Good to see someone else liking the long train the novakids have. :nuruhappy: Pretty strait foward ship, just a long walk; which is something I don't mind all that much. :nurutease:

11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Let's see...
    • Human - Neat militaristic look, consistent style - although not a good solution if your character isn't really affiliated with human military, it still has the nice look to it.
    • Apex - Good at at the start, definitely the most modern out of the ship designs. With upgrades above 5th tier, it's getting a bit worse - shaped like a giant egg, far too many turrets.
    • Floran - Great mix of the elements salvaged from the other races, while still maintaining its own unique look! Great colors on the ship itself. Ship equipment sprites are unnatural pink and purple though, which causes a disappointing contrast with otherwise great ship.
    • Hylotl - Giant blue fish! Looks nice in early game, looks nice in end game, looks awful in-between. Still, the end result is satisfying, so I have no complaints!
    • Avian - Looks alright on its first 6 tiers, then takes the appearance of a giant flying pyramid/pizza slice. I don't really like it.
    • Glitch - It's a castle. In space. Honestly, were there no better ideas for a medieval-themed spaceship...? I'm trying to make the best of it, but I don't like it.
    • Novakid - It's a train in space. I'm not sure what to say. It's silly, but at least it compensates for it with its looks, which are actually pretty neat.
    All in all, I think the best ships on T8 are Floran and Hylotl.

oinkgamer likes this.
  12. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

Hylotl ship is the best. It's a space whale.

D.M.G. likes this.
  13. Peaceful Kid

Peaceful Kid Orbital Explorer

I'm a play as a Floran and I really like how it incorporates so many aspects of the other races ships: A Glitch ship's cannons, an Avian ship's pyramid top (and a part of an Avian ship's bottom platform at the rear of the ship when the Floran ship upgrades into a Condor Class ship), An Apex ship's cockpit, A Human ship's thruster. The ship itself has a Human ship's base. It's also the biggest ship with the most space. HOWEVER I think the novakid ship is the most unique with its train-like structure

14. DGRVF

DGRVF Void-Bound Voyager

for my it`s novakid one (i love steampunk era)
    (it`s old shool)

15. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Novakid train and the glitch castle.

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Floran; has the most space and personality.

17. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

The cat is the best part D:

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Floran, but not because it is the biggets, because it has that greenhouse ontop.

19. Ugicywapih

Ugicywapih Orbital Explorer

I love the floran ship. On one hand, it mixes and matches parts from other races' ships, making the design interesting and uniquely eclectic, but on the other the overgrown, salvaged aesthetic ties it all nicely together. Also, I feel it strikes a nice balance between vertical and horizontal space - horizontal is generally easier to navigate, so I don't much like the apex, avian or glitch designs, but a completely flat ship, like the novakid train takes too long to get from one end to another (also, it's a train. I love the novakid aesthetic in general, but their spaceship is just way too cheesy). I feel human, hylotl and floran designs are the most practical, but floran has the most personality hands down.

riverdrake likes this.
  20. .jpeg

.jpeg Seal Broken

The Apex ship, whilst there’s a certain predominance of Apex characters in my character selection page, is one of my least favourites. It’s streamlined, that’s a given, and it offers an aesthetic that the science-fiction category is best known for in this literary era. But that’s its largest problem. It’s plain, simple, and something we've seen time and time again. For an intellectual race capable of so much more, they haven’t really innovated in the spaceship exterior design sector. Then again, I'm sure there are priorities elsewhere of more importance than the look of a spacecraft, and it’s equally as true that they’re not going to build an entire ship from hair and fur to fit with the thematic configurations of other racial ships.

The Avian ship is decent in truth, but because I prefer certain ships over this one, it doesn't take the cake. I do acknowledge the large red crystal for which the Avians are famous for in their furniture and block ensemble, but it doesn't compensate for the horrendous transformation it takes when you upgrade the ship, which may as well be replaced by HP Lovecraft's eldritch creations if it wanted to appeal to more players. All in all; it’s not entirely bad but it’s not all too impressive either.

The Floran ship is bearable. I personally love haphazardly placing Plant Matter and Petal Blocks across my buildings when there’s a natural theme involved, so I sympathize with the same selection of block on the ship’s exterior. I don’t think it lacks originality but rather aesthetic appeal in some respect. To some people it’s interesting, it’s new, it’s trendy; to me it’s a little boring. It’s a simple ship entangled and concealed in Plant Matter. To say this is a very good ship would be giving it a little too much credit, instead I think I’ll end off how I started. Bearable.

The Human ship, eh . . .

The Hylotl ship; as the starbound wiki puts it, “resembles a large fish, complete with fins and a tail”; and rather excitedly too. It stops there. For starters I could think of some more interesting takes on the spaceship. Instead of a fish, why not use a shark to assert the alpha male dominance that these creatures have been fighting so hard to achieve, right? What about a spaceship that progressively transforms into a dojo, working with the samurai-dojo-shogun nonsense they have got going for them in their respective villages. Maybe my ideas aren't the best, but that doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the Hylotl ship.

The Glitch ship offer a castle themed aesthetic that is enough to seduce any fantasy enthusiast. The ship is a castle, damnit, how is there a better alternative to that? You've got the Humans--on second thought let’s not talk about them--; you've got the Avians with their pyramid and their red crystal. Oh, but who’s that on the horizon? A glitch, in his castle spaceship. You've got to give them credit for their badassery, regardless if you like the ship or not. Even if they take over the world in a surprising and unforeseen robot uprising™, at least they can do it in style and elegance.

The Novakid ship is very beautiful, quite simply put. It’s reminiscent of the age-old early-19th century aesthetic, or perhaps that of the steampunk genre and its respective subcultures. It may look silly to be sailing the seven seas, or however many seas there may be in the Starbound universe, in a train, but you have to admit how nice it looks. Remember that it’s all about the look of the spaceship, and not the distinct lack of conventionality.

Those are my two cents, anyway.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017