Better UI Scale/Font/UI In General

Discussion in 'Other' started by Xylia, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So this is something that really annoys me about SB.

I really want to like the game, but sometimes the difficulties of playing the game is a real turn-off. Things not fitting on the screen, things taking up too much real estate, etc.

I am forced to run 1360x768 -- nothing else will look good on my monitor. And as you might know, this doesn't leave a lot of room. UI Scale 2 is too big and windows want to go off screen, can't fit large containers' windows on screen very well, windows overlapping constantly, etc.

But yet UI Scale 1 is too small, I can't read the font very good and it hurts the eyes.

But yet, I thought to myself "I can read text in the Windows OS just fine, and it's about the same size as UI Scale 1!"

Well, apparently the reason is because of how Starbound's font is. I don't know why, but Chucklefish is using a strange size font. Windows 12pt font is 8 blocks high on my Paint grid whereas Starbound's is only 6 blocks high. This makes for short but thick letters and when you shrink them down, they get incredibly hard to read. Here's a comparison chart to help you visualize what I mean:

[​IMG]

These three images were taken at normal size and then zoomed in as far as possible. The top one is Arial 12pt from Chucklefish Forums, the 2nd is UI Scale 2 at 1360x768, and the 3rd is UI Scale 1 at 1360x768.

Note how the font gets distorted and blurred when you shrink it down to UI Scale 1. No wonder I can't read that crap. But the point here, is the ridiculous width of the font, and how it is short and stubby, which makes it very hard to read at smaller sizes.

Could we maybe get a better font? Allow fonts to be moddable if they aren't already?

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Okay, so I found out that fonts are moddable... so you can ignore that part. Currently waiting for the game to load to see what it looks like.

Still think that UI Scale should accept fractions and/or we should make the UI a bit more streamlined and take up less space.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Welp, spoke too soon. The game just jumbles the letters together if you reduce it to UI Scale 1. *sigh* Really, game?

I selected Arial, same font that CF forums uses, and the game distorts the font and jumbles it all together if you try UI Scale 1.

[​IMG]

So blah. It doesn't even render font properly.

4. drakesteele

drakesteele Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, I've got bad eyes .. But I play at high res. I'd like to see the scaling options be more incremental... At least a single decimal place, and add a UI scale slider next to the world scale slider, and allow both from 1.0 to at least 5.0 in 0.1 increments. SHOULD be pretty easy to implement, shouldn't it, Chucklefish?

Thanks in advance..

Drake.