1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP BetterMerchants Mod - Adding Variety to your Merchanting Experience

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Mackinz, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowestFormOfWit

LowestFormOfWit Pangalactic Porcupine

No, I never thought that. Obviously it's not for everyone. But I just wanted to say we're actively making changes to keep it a useful tool.

2. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

I look forward to seeing what you are up to! ^^

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Thanks for stopping by, LFOW. See you in IRC, maybe. :v

4. kittentamer

So! The spawners in my Firefly Loot mod have been introduced, and I tested it with your avian chefs.
    compatible.gif
    I have the entire cast of Firefly running around, including Book as an ingredient merchant. Works pefrectly. ^^

Mackinz and Tamorr like this.
  5. Mackinz

Awesome! As of 0.04, you'll be capable of adding in your own merchants without conflict, so feel free to mess around with your own merchant.npctype.

Also, have you tried the Drink Merchant? Sure, it has lots of PGOs at the moment, but I think it looks cooler with the Bandit Hat than a full Chef does. May or may not be fitting, as I have, sadly, never watched Firefly.

6. kittentamer

I spawned them all at one point, but I got rid of them to test our mod's spawners. Sometime tonight I'm going to spawn all yours plus all mine and have a ship so crowded you'd think I was packing sardines! =P

Tamorr likes this.
  7. Mackinz

I think I might have found a huge issue with my mod. Natural NPC merchants do not seem to be spawning. I think it's an issue with modding merchant.npctype so I should be able to fix it with 0.04.

8. kittentamer

Did you leave names and such the same? If the item names within the files are changed, the game shouldn't be looking at yours instead of theirs...I think anyway. Haven't messed with LUA scripting myself.

9. Mackinz

I am not one hundred percent sure, but there might be an ordering issue in the coding somewhere... I'll have to experiment... somehow.

10. Mackinz

I might have been able to isolate the issue. I messed up the landscaper's shop listing by forgetting two brackets, a bracket, and a comma. Will experiment with restarting a planet I found which has three Glitch villages.

Edit: Yup, that was the issue. Reset the planet, walked a bot and came across a fully populated Glitch village.

Happy day!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  11. Mackinz

For 0.04, I've decided three things:

1. It will be a big-ish update that changes a lot of files. (This will break existing NPCs)

2. It will be the first version uploaded to the Mod area, making it easier to receive feedback AND download.

3. It will be released after the game updates.

This is your warning post for now.

kittentamer and Tamorr like this.
  12. Mackinz

Hmm... I just realized my last post's #1 was partly pointless since the update is also going to be a complete wipe, but whatever.

Anyway, I've finished up the Mod update as best I can before I know what things are changed in the game. Added a bunch of New merchants, made a lot of inventory changes, cleaned up any Perfectly Generic Objects I could find in shops, and, you know, the general stuff. Still need to devote some time to custom NPC lines and descriptions, but I think this will be an excellent version to upload on the Mod section. Also, it will be called 0.05 instead of 0.04 because Wynaut.

This may or may not be the last update to this thread as I am not sure how the Mod thread functionality works yet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Tamorr likes this.
  13. kittentamer

I'm not sure if you've posted this as an official mod yet, but if you have/when you do, can you link it here? I'm looking forward to using some of your merchants with a perma character. ^^
    BTW: The only issue I've heard about with mods and the update is to get rid of any numbers within brackets, or rather the brackets. Most noticably I found this in the "cost" line for objects and the "cold protection" on any custom clothing.
    aka "10" would now be simply 10.
    The IRC helped me figure that out, and the spawners for my Big Box of Loot worked simply by fixing the "cost" line in the object file.

Mackinz likes this.
  14. Mackinz

It's not an official mod yet, kitten. I will update it as soon as I can, but my schedule got a lot more packed starting last week so I may need until Friday to do something.

Thanks for the tip, though I don't think I had numbers within "s so it should be good to go.

15. Mackinz

Okay, I did some initial updating to the Mod. Updated the modinfo and fixed the "cost" issue with the spawners. Seems like the I finally found the PGO recipe issues (with CreativeMode, I didn't notice them) so I need to find which foods do not have a recipe and make one. Should he quite a few. Still need to check other merchants too.

Also, if anyone remembers the "reverse" merchants I talked about before, I have figured a way to allow the player to sell items. A new object that will come with 0.06, the BetterMerchants BlackMarket Hammerspace Crate! (Name is WIP) Still need time to sit down and type, sadly.

16. kittentamer

Oh, I'm looking forward to it! I love the idea of being able to sell finally! =)

17. Mackinz

Version 0.05 and its Official Thread are out now. I'll be seeking a mod to lock this thread.

kittentamer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.