1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED BinarySuns

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Astrus, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Astrus

Astrus Industrial Terraformer

NOTE: I'm going to stop updating this thread in favour of using the official mods section. See here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/binarysuns.57/

WARNING - DO NOT USE ON AN EXISTING SAVE IF THERE IS ANYTHING ON ANY PLANET YOU WANT TO KEEP - WARNING

Title: Binary Suns
    Version: 1.1
    Creator: Astrus
    Date: 11/12/2013
    Starbound Version: Annoyed Koala

Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/40/? OR below.

Description:

This mod adds binary star systems to your galactic map. This is not a purely cosmetic change, as the various binary systems have different temperate zones which I believe can influence which planet biomes spawn where.

The mod does not yet make any changes on the world levels. There is still only one sun. Doesn't look like there's a way to change this... Yet.

WARNING - DO NOT USE ON AN EXISTING SAVE IF THERE IS ANYTHING ON ANY PLANET YOU WANT TO KEEP - Using this mod on an existing save will result in a reshuffling of planets and star systems on the galactic map. It won't break an existing save in that you can continue playing just fine. Your ship will also be fine. However, planets will no longer be in the same place, which I'm pretty sure means they're gone for good. There's unfortunately no way around this, it's just how Starbound's generation system works.

A brief example. There are actually six binary star systems added, all of which can be seen at the above nexusmods link.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Installation:

Extract the zip to your main Starbound folder.

If you are already using a modified win32/bootstrap.config file, then do NOT override it. You'll have to add my mod manually.

If you are using any other OS, then you'll have to add my mod manually to the relevant bootstrap.config. Here's a handy link:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-proper-way-to-install-mods.41929/

Compatability:

Incompatible with any mods that alter:

assets/celestial.config

If you know anything about Starbound modding, it's fairly easy to make it compatible if you want.

Permissions:

If you would like to use this mod for any purpose, feel free... Provided you notify me that you are, and give me credit for it.

Changelog:

11/12/2013 - V1.1:

- Updated the mod to work with Starbound beta version Annoyed Koala.

9/12/2013 - V1.0:

- Added 6 new star systems to the galactic map
    - Blue Blue Binary System
    - Blue Yellow Binary System
    - Blue Red Binary System
    - Red Red Binary System
    - Yellow Red Binary System
    - Yellow Yellow Binary System

Credits:

Credit goes to Chucklefish for the art and base files that make up this mod. All I did was use their existing stuff and modify it a little.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Hiztaar, Baleur and Quixotic like this.
  2. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

A very interesting idea, but can we have some screenshots? I'll be excited to try this mod soon.

ahappydude likes this.
  3. Astrus

Done!

Quixotic likes this.
  4. loofou

loofou Aquatic Astronaut

Now THAT is something I was looking for. Good work so far.

Would be interesting to check if planetary orbits can be visually shifted, so that some planets only orbit one star instead of both (would be more like real binary star systems work). It would be only cosmetic, but still nice to see.

5. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

Thanks- now those are pretty neato. I'm assuming they work with the 'planet in background' system as well, considering they seem to be just 'planets' configured to be suns. A worthy addition.

6. Astrus

Actually no, the second suns are just new image assets that are placed in the centre of the system when a binary system is chosen for generation.

It would be possible to turn a planet into a sun so it shows in the background of planets... But I'm pretty sure those planets don't move. So the second sun will be up all the time, even at night :laugh:

Another problem would be you wouldn't be able to determine whether a star is binary or not from the galactic map. So you wouldn't be able to get the twin stars on the starmap like I have at the moment.

7. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

Ah, I see. Still interesting for the time being. It looks like it'll be a little while before I'm mining the Dagobah System.

8. Baleur

Baleur Phantasmal Quasar

Should be vanilla, no doubt. You can't have a space game with a huge universe and not include the most common form of star systems, binary star systems.

9. Esbeckett

Esbeckett Void-Bound Voyager

I was excited! Then I saw Nexusmods. That site has not been friendly to me in the past. Is there a way to put it on some other option like Dropbox?

10. Astrus

You can always try downloading it from the attachment at the bottom of the post? If that doesn't work, I'll see about putting it up somewhere else.

11. Esbeckett

Esbeckett Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, whoops! I tend to look to links because most forums for everything seem to really not like zip files or anything like that.

12. Astrus

Keep in mind I can't guarantee compatibility with the latest patches. I haven't had a chance to see if they changed anything in the celestial.config file yet.

Updated for Annoyed Koala... Or Frustrated Koala. The game client and the launcher are conflicting with their version names :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  13. Hiztaar

Hiztaar Phantasmal Quasar

Very cool mod :)

Is there any impact on planet surface with two light sources in the sky instead of one ?

14. Astrus

Unfortunately no. There is no connection between the planet's surface view and the type of sun. There is only 1 sun and it's universal to all planets. So since there is no connection, there's no way for the planet surface stuff to know whether it's a single or binary system. There IS a way around this by turning a planet into a sun instead of doing it the way I did. But since planets don't move in the background the sun would always be up, even at night.

15. Astrus

No longer using this thread. Go here.