Modding Discussion Bionic prosthetics?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Illmad, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Or robot parts! I'm kinda surprised by the fact that it has been this long since beta release, and nobody has made a mod that lets us play as cyborgs in a sci-fi game.

It would be amazing if the character creation tool added options for 'Fake limbs'
    The menu should have three categories; Legs, Arms and Head. Each would scroll through which body part was missing.
    Leg section would cover 'Foot', 'Lower leg' and 'Entire leg'.
    Arm section would cover 'Hand', 'Lower arm' and 'Entire arm'.
    Head section would cover 'Right eye', 'Left eye', 'Jaw', 'Nose', 'Right ear' and 'Left ear'
    The menus for Legs and Arms would work sort of like a binary clock works:
    First click = Hand.
    Second click = Lower arm.
    Third = Entire arm.
    Fourth click would turn the arm normal, but the other arm would now have a fake hand.
    Fifth click would result both hands being prosthetic. Etc.
    This is why this couldn't just be a single menu on the creation screen; simply too many different combinations and it would take forever to browse through.

Further expansion to the idea: Different styled prosthetics for different races.
    Humans would have regular metal prosthetics.
    Apex would have similar but shinier and perhaps more clunkier and advanced looking prosthetics.
    Florans would have vines sprouting from their severed appendage, (I'm making a guess here that Florans, being plants, could potentially regenerate lost limbs over time).
    Novakinds could have a simpler old fashioned set of prosthetics. Perhaps a peg leg for their foot / lower leg, or a more steampunk like style.
    Glitch would have similar to their normal parts, but more rusty and beaten, hinting at them having been salvaged from dead glitch.

Realistically I'm not expecting anyone to jump on this task, but I'm just throwing the idea out in the open in case someone takes interest. Always a chance.
    I'd do it myself if I could, but I take one tiny look at the code and I feel more ignorant and insignificant than three hours worth of staring at the stars.

2. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

This sounds like a great mod idea. I would use it.

3. Zavender

Zavender Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah this is.. A challenging but definitely interesting idea. Support for modded bodytypes and such would be a good idea to think about, if anyone wants to take it on. This is something I'd never not use really, prosthetics are great.

4. slowcold

slowcold Pangalactic Porcupine

Been looking at something like this for the mod I'm working on (glacially - I'm no fast coder or art demon). It's a lot quicker and simpler to do that as cosmetic armour, rather than trying to expand the character creation screen that significantly.

Although in either case, your prosthetics "switch sides" depending on which way you are running, unless you define right arm and left arm (and, I guess, right leg/left leg and right eye/left eye)) as seperate entities with their own fixed movement sheets.

5. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

And now to actually attempt to create what this guy wanted. (mostly because I like the idea also)