Boss Bosses are way to easy.

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Samooryesord, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Samooryesord

Samooryesord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The random mini-boss encounters on the planets are beyond easy. I just cover myself in dirt and leave little slits in the wall and shoot out at them as they stand on top of my man-made hill and let me shoot at them until they die. They need more challenge. I'd love it if they could destroy objects and terrain like the bone hammers do.

This was also an issue when fighting the Dragon King for the MK4 Starmap upgrade. I just built a stone ceiling and shot out through tiny holes at it until it died. His fireballs did no damage to anything around me and I walked away unharmed.

Please give bosses destructive power. They just seem like larger clones of the normal monsters out there. I'm not asking for Superman VS Zod destruction. Just a little bit, so their attacks have more umph to them.

Hiena likes this.
  2. ilis

ilis Phantasmal Quasar

i have always had issues with them
    they move too fast and hit too hard and either cant be knocked back or require much stronger weapons than i have at the time to knock them back
    a few times i tried fighting them the way i fight everything, with a shield and a 1h sword
    but that sort of style requires the sword to knock people back to be able to bring the shield up again after swinging, and it never does it (the few times i swung at them on their way past when they were using charge, they simply turned around and rushed me before i could bring my shield up and i died instantly)

the dirt tactic is very boring, but as they are now that is the only way i can even come close to killing them
    why not make it so some of them are absurdly fast, but not as strong as the others, and others are as strong as the current ones, but very slow
    or give them mini-boss unique attacks that can only be used by mini-bosses, which are difficult to dodge and really strong but if you manage to dodge them you can get close and get a few hits in before they start launching another attack

the fact that the best strategy to fight them is by building a dirt wall to keep them out is proof enough that they need to be toned down

Nef_123 likes this.
  3. Hiena

Hiena Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah, i believe the fights should be more challenging, they are always too easy or too hard. Maybe the mini-bosses should have more health and less damage, so the fights would take longer, require more skills to dodge their projectiles ( when they just don't run and body slam you...), maybe they should also have at least 3 different skills.
    And break blocks...

4. Sirsir94

Sirsir94 Orbital Explorer

Bonehammer sounds good, really. And honestly the way they mostly fight, just running back and forth through you, is really frustrating.
    This is a bit off topic but the flying minibosses that flutter off are kinda stupid. They need a slightly more complex flight pattern, going down from time to time.

5. beari78

beari78 Guest

The 3rd boss way too hard for me.:(

6. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

And let's not get started on how you can literally spam turrets for the third and fourth bosses and hide out in a bunker while they move around and eventually die due to the amount of guns shooting them down. It's hilarious.

7. beari78

beari78 Guest

How'd ya manage that?

8. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

After activating the Starmap MK3, you can build turrets over at the pixel printer. They're currently only worth a pixel. You can build a hundred and it'd only cost you 100 pixels to do so. Lay 'em out, hide underground, wait until they're dead. For best effect, have them face both sides of a specific point and spawn the boss in the center; the bullets will push it back and forth constantly until it's dead. I put some links down for verification.

9. beari78

beari78 Guest

Holy crap, thank you so much for that info, here I come dragon!

10. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, bosses are really easy, for the dragon boss I just hid in an Apex lab and shot through the ceiling.

11. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Well, you choose to make the traps. How about you try fighting them without them for a bit?

12. Rylos_RTN

Rylos_RTN Master Chief

I kind of like how not all of them destroy blocks... However, a fair balance might be if boss and mini-boss damage did secondary "mining" damage to blocks. That way it's not destroyed and only gets unplaced after several blows in succession. More moving by the player spreads the mining damage - possibly allowing the mining progress to dissipate. If the player doesn't move enough, the blocks get unplaced and fall. By not actually destroying the blocks, the player may build nicer boss arena or even will be willing to battle a boss at a battlement attached to his or her base. I tend to build my base early because I always use metal and light metal - and I build at the first nice location that has a lab I can take apart. But moving that or replacing those blocks is painfully slow.

13. shuruga

shuruga Void-Bound Voyager

I come from terrarria to starbound and there is a major difference beetween both of the games for bosses.
    In terrarria bosses go throught blocks, in starbound not.
    I understand and i prefer the starbound way to see it, it' more realistic and it open more option of arena crafting.
    it feels great to think that our better weapon is the construction tool and our imagination.

BUT actually arena are overpowered, it's too simple to block a boss and freely hit him.

The better option is to allow bosses and maybe mini-bosses to destroy blocks on their way.

There is some options for that :

- bosses destroy a block by making contact whit it for a certain amount of time :
    exemple if inactive robot make contact with a solid block on his way to you for 1 second the block is destroyed. -- So players can block him then shhot and run, but it have to be done really fast.
    - bosses have special skills that detroys block :
    exemple UFO pinguin could rotate on himself with particule effect making it looking like a giant sawblade destroying for 3 second every block on his way trying to go on top of players head. -- So players can block UFO in a arena but if they don't want it to see the boss destroy the place they have to stay under ufo in the center of the arena for a certain amount of time.
    - Bosses can directly attack a solid block on his way like he can attack player destroying it.

It's important, in the case of bosses, to create plays and counter plays for players.