1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Bug with 4K display and zoom

Discussion in 'Support' started by KThomas14, Dec 4, 2018.

1. KThomas14

KThomas14 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello,

Stardew Valley version 1.3.32 has some major problems rendering on 3840 x 2160 resolution and a zoom level less than .95. .75 to .9 all cut off some portion of the screen (it's rendered as a black bar). However, it appears that the map is still loaded underneath, it's just not visible. Also, some UI elements are placed with respect to the visible screen (energy meter, time, money, quest and zoom level buttons), while others are placed with respect to the total area (like the menu and toolbar). Also, notice that while the zoom level buttons are visible on the screen, the location to actually trigger them is often in the black bar area.

This bug is rather important to correct, as it makes playing on a high resolution monitor with a low zoom level unplayable. The only workaround that I know of is to set the zoom level to no less than .95; however, my purpose in playing the game on a 4K monitor is to be able to see as much of the map as possible.

Here are some scaled down images that illustrate the problem:

.75 zoom level:
    75_percent_zoom_sample.jpg

.9 zoom level:
    90_percent_zoom_sample.jpg

.95 zoom level:
    95_percent_zoom_sample.jpg

I'm playing on PC, but I suspect this issue would also affect console versions if they were connected to a 4K display.

Thanks,
    KThomas14

• KThomas14

KThomas14 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've done a lot of investigation into this, and trying to correct the behavior by modding the code. From what I can see, this is actually a permanent restriction of the XNA HiDef profile, as this profile cannot render greater than 4096 pixels in any direction. Since 3840/.95 = 4042, and 3840/.9 = 4266, this explains why zoom level .95 works, but smaller zoom levels don't. Thus, it looks to me like this is an unfortunate permanent restriction, barring some improvements in XNA.

• The Oddler

The Oddler Space Hobo

Such a shame, just ran into this problem too. Was there ever found a fix/workaround?