1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Buildable Custom Shipworld File/Mod (UPBEAT GIRAFFE) Version 1.2a

This is a .shipworld file and a mod which both let you build your own ship in Upbeat Giraffe.

1. Antilles

Antilles Orbital Explorer

Hey man, super new to Starbound but I really wanted to try this mod. Not new to mods though but new to Starbound ship building mods. I placed the full mod (buildaship folder) into the mod folder for upbeat giraffe, everything loads good, and im in my existing ship. From this point on...im pretty clueless. I tried messing with the ship blocks, assuming they would simply start letting me tear apart my existing ship (it's one of those first tier ships, hasnt been upgraded yet but finished the whole moon mission thing) but nothing happens.

I dont understand the flashlight part, since this is my existing character, I cant do the tutorial mission again. Or so I think... Or do I need to enter some sort of admin/crafting mode to enable me to start building stuff?

Sorry, i know this must be a very newb question, and I know i must have definitely missed something >.<

2. Captain Salt

Captain Salt Astral Cartographer

You either need to delete the shipworld file or load a new character

3. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

F12 is the steam screenshot key, so that should work. You can also use the printscreen key and paste it into a program like mspaint.

4. Captain Salt

sdasaddassadsadsadasd.JPG The leviathan had too many details and the rokh ended up too stubby, so i made a scale accurate Cormorant Caldari Destroyer. Just excuse the interior, I'm a novice at furnishings.

5. Antilles

Antilles Orbital Explorer

Thank you Salt, I was able to get it working by simply deleting my shipworld file. And damn, I might just need to wait for a ship mod (looking at that Firefly mod!) since it's pretty difficult making a good looking ship lol. Truth be told, I dont have too much time on my hands these days :(

6. Skhmt

Looking good so far!

Since starbound is pixel based where 4 pixels is human height, you can plan your ship using mspaint or any bitmap paint program. Then build it block by block in starbound using your drawing as reference. That's how I've done basically all my ship outlines. From there I just have to figure out the interior layout and what needs furnishing. You need basics like a bridge, engine area, crew quarters, bathroom, eating area, perhaps workshops and such, maybe a hanger, maybe recreational facilities, maybe a cargo bay, plus anything specialized for your ship. Don't set out to "make a ship", set out to make something very particular and things will fall into place, from the overall design to small details.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  7. Captain Salt

Well when it came to the EVE ships, i pull up an isometric view of my selected ship and base the interior off the class (IE the Astero having everything you just said) also i was just lazy on this one, i'll work a bit more when i get around to the cruiser.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. Sos339

Sos339 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While using this mod, whenever I upgrade or update my ship (fix boosters, fix FTL) it seems to replace the objects or airspace to what the previous starter ship was. It isn't too bad when you're just starting off, but when it deletes a full chest of loot, then it's a problem. I've tried modifying the the files but it yielded no result (either it replaces it with the default ship, or it deletes it all together).

9. Talassar

Talassar Void-Bound Voyager

Ok. I need an advise. Using Felin race (mod), Had several upgrades on ship allready. Installed mod, loaded game and can't see any way to change my ship. Pretty much main reason why I wanted this was so I could build an observation lounge on top of my ship's outer hull and make more viewscreens but I can't see any way to make a hole in ceilig and add details.

Tried creating new character and got new stuff after getting flashlight but still no way to remove details of current ship. Nor a way to add something outside the ship.

I am a bit consfused about T-levels restrictions. Do I still need to upgrade ship to be able to use the mod? Can I use this mod if I have no more tiers to progress to?

UPD

Well, I upgraded ship. Results? None. Got no additional ship interior spare parts, no ability to disassemble basic structure, nothing mod related at all

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  10. Skhmt

It shouldn't ever delete anything, it might knock objects that you can place to the ground though, so if you walk under the area you should have your stuff again.
    It's unfortunately a limitation of the engine right now - upgrading tiers is always supposed to add space, not modify existing space. The "problem" with a custom ship is that depending on how you built your ship, upgrading tier and going back to the generic ship template will add blocks to areas where you didn't have blocks before.
    The only real fix is to not get too attached until you reach Tier 8, or get to tier 4 (the first upgrade from the guy behind the outpost that gives you the wiring tool) and stop upgrading from there. I was experimenting with higher tiers using a nearly blank "blocks" file so there wouldn't be any conflict, but the problem is people who use the mod and not the .shipworld file - they could be left with an empty shipworld when upgrading tier.

Using a non-standard race, you can't use the actual "mod" portion of this. You have to manually replace your .shipworld file with the included .shipworld file. It will replace your ship with the base ship as seen on the front page... it won't just give you a mod-able standard ship. Sorry.

11. Sos339

Sos339 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When life gives you lemons, make life take the lemons back.
    [​IMG]

I replaced all the space where blocks would regenerate so it doesn't modify anything anymore.
    Also the deleting of the files was mostly a test to see if it was an easy fix or not.

12. Skhmt

Nice work-around and very nice ship!!

Once you get to t8 of course you won't have to worry anymore :D

13. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm having a bit of an issue I can't seem to fix.

I replaced my shipworld file and the new ship comes up fine, but my AI is stuck in error mode.
    I had already upgraded my ship to tier 8 before I switched files, so there appears to be no way for me to debug him.
    This also seems to be preventing my ship from flying, and from using the quick "beam down".

Any suggestions are welcome :)

14. Skhmt

I have no idea. It's as if you were reverted to a T0 ship. Can you go into more depth?

15. TheUnartist

Well I was using the custom black novakid train mod. Upgraded my way up to tier 8 through normal methods.
    Decided I wanted to build a custom ship, so I replaced my shipworld file with the one in the download.
    Everything seemed to be working. Small box-like ship, locker full of ship items. But my Horse Ai is giving me the wonky face and error message.

Then I fill the fuel hatch and get ready to take off, but after selecting a planet and hitting "Go" I get the little no-go sound and my ship just sits there.
    I've tried re-downloading and replacing the shipworld file again, but I get the same results.

Also the instant beam to planet button is deactivated. Have to use my ship teleporter manually.

Any specific information that could help?

-
    -

Update:
    I used another mod (Creative Mode) to create an item to fix my ftl drive. This replaced the custom ship with the standard novakid ship.
    I then replaced the shipworld file once more, and this time it worked much better.
    My AI is still trying to direct me to an outpost whose quests I've all completed, but I don't really care as long as my ship can fly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  16. Skhmt

I honestly don't know what's going on at all. I've done some extensive testing and I haven't seen this happen nor has anyone else apparently, unless they just aren't mentioning it.

The only thing I can think of might be a conflict with the black novakid mod which I'm unfamiliar with, but I find it unlikely.

The ship AI is based on your metadata file, the shipworld doesn't usually care about your progression if it's a t5+ shipworld, like this is.

What exact steps did you take when you installed my .shipworld over yours? Did you by chance manually delete some of your files before you moved my .shipworld into your player folder? Could you accidentally have deleted something else?

17. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

May I make a version or can you make a version with out the quest edits. I am working on the ship parts mod I can add the boosters and items so we do not to cheat them.

18. Skhmt

If you go into admin mode, you can also craft them all, same with CreativeMode mod. But sure I'll make a version without the quest.

19. draco1122

draco1122 Big Damn Hero

Thank you
    Thank you I can use self control but my friends and family are big on balance ingame. It will make it better for me thank you.

20. TheUnartist

Well I can say for sure that I did not purposely delete any extra files. I simply moved your ship file into my folder, copied my old ship name, gave it to the new ship file, and deleted the old one.
    I could have somehow accidentally deleted something, but I honestly don't think I did.

Also I was wrong about creative mode mod fixing the issue. It allowed to travel in solar system but didn't actually repair my FTL drive.
    Had to use admin commands to spawn a T8 ship item.
    Then replaced that ship file with yours, and everything worked fine.
    No clue what happened the first time.