1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Building under the Magma

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vikeyev, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Vikeyev

Vikeyev Void-Bound Voyager

Hi. i have recently begun construction of a settlement under the ocean of a magma type planet.

I had a quick question because I'm not entirely sure if the large meteorites destroy stuff when it hits underwater or if it does not.
    also another question is. does it count as a settlement when its build underground?

Hope to hear from yall soon.

2. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

once you get far enough down, the surface layers get unloaded from memory and essentially go into stasis until you (or another player) get close enough to load them up again

so, when you go deep, the space rocks sleep :)

3. Vikeyev

yeah sadly the issue is the shaft that reaches from the bottom of my base to the island above.
    it needs to stay intact so if a meteor can hit that. it would flood my whole settlement.

4. evilnancyreagan

heh yeah, I had a similar setup a few builds back. if it get's hit, it's kerblewie.

the best solution i can provide is to install a teleporter and really avoid the surface at all costs. any surface entrance/exit is a liability.

5. Vikeyev

i reed somewhere that you can use "hard" material to lessen the impact of meteorites.

sadly these posts are years out of date and i have no idea if these are still viable

6. evilnancyreagan

hard material will slow em down but, it require that you maintain the barrier.

it's a house of cards that, at best, you can prolong. eventually them rocks are gonna come knockin and they're going to get in.

especially the bigguns

7. Vikeyev

might not be a problem when im so deep undermagma.
    since i wont roam around above ground that much, i hope.
    alternative i just pick up a location without large meteors

8. evilnancyreagan

yeah, that's why the teleporter works so great!

with it, you can have a massive buffer between your settlement and the surface so, you would be free to g̶e̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶l̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶e̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶e̶o̶r̶m̶u̶r̶d̶e̶r̶d̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ have fun and lark about up there.

if you plant flags, you can use them as checkpoints to fast travel from your settlement's teleporter back to the surface.