1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Button Icons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Treadlight, May 11, 2013.

1. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I noticed the game refers to gamepad buttons as 'Button #', and as this is already fine. I was thinking maybe add icons that can be mapped to buttons so that the icon displays in place of 'Button #' I don't mean force certain button numbers to icons, I mean let the player choose which button means which icon, as not everyone uses the same kind of gamepad. It would make sense to add icons for all common controllers, not just for Xbox or PS3 controllers.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds good, but one quick question: How the heck could this be implemented?

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

...?
        It would recognise which button was inputted and cross-reference this to a database of sprites within the game. Then it would display the button that it knows (or thinks) was pressed. It already knows it was 'Button 3' - now all it needs to do is map 'Button 3' to a graphic that shows the Y button of the Xbox360 controller. If you're using a different controller, like one from a PS console, you'd have the button graphic be a triangle or something.

Treadlight likes this.
        • okok111

But how does the game know its a Xbox controller? Personally I use a old USB gamepad, so how would it acquire the images?

• Treadlight

The game doesn't, the user goes to a settings menu to configure each button to an icon.

• okok111

I see, that'd make sense. I won't lie, I wouldn't really go to the bother as I'd have custom set all of the controls myself, but thanks for pointing out how this could work.

• Shrooblord

Oh, I would've assumed the user selects the controller they use from a list of available ones, and the game would automatically assign button graphics for the selected buttons. There would also be a 'Generic Controller' for those who aren't using conventional gamepads, that would change the button graphics into small buttons labelled with '1', '2' etc. as opposed to 'Y' and 'X'.

• Treadlight

That's what most PC games seem to do, but those games don't have fully customizable controls. I was saying let the user do it manually. It's an odd idea, as it gives the user control over something that is normally automated.

• Shrooblord

Exactly - because it's such an odd idea, I thought you must have been meaning something else. But I like the idea, now I think about it.