1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED BYOS Custom Race Extender Avali + Tutorial 1.2

Get BYOS for your Avali or learn how to do it yourself for other races

1. Amber Talamasca

Amber Talamasca Pangalactic Porcupine

Amber Talamasca submitted a new mod:

BYOS Custom Race Extender Avali and Felin + Tutorial - Get BYOS for your Avali and Felin, or learn how to do it yourself for other races

Read more about this mod...

2. Zauber Paracelsus

Zauber Paracelsus Pangalactic Porcupine

I just tried this mod out so that I could use BYOS with the Felin race. However, upon giving the dubloon to the guy for the buildable ship, I instead got the fully upgraded version of the Felin ship, minus the hazard blocks and ship lights.

3. Amber Talamasca

Thats very odd Zauber. You do have 1.3 of BYOS installed? (check from the start screen, click the gear, click BYOS, look at the version number) In that same screen, is BYOS and BYOScr loaded AFTER the felin mod?
    Do you have any other shipmods installed besides BYOS?

4. Zauber Paracelsus

Yes, both show up in the start screen, and both are loaded after the felin mod.

5. Zauber Paracelsus

Same thing when I delete the shipworld file (only with that, the shiplocker and the starting ship lights also vanish). Because the two mod folders were installed as symbolic links, I deleted the links and replaced them with full copies of the folders. No dice, even after deleting my shipworld.

Because I had installed the mod onto an existing game, I decided to run a test. I started another character, got to the outpost, and bought the BYOS upgrade. Same thing: fully upgraded ship minus the lights, shiplocker, and hazard blocks.

Here is a copy of my Starbound.log file, in case that is useful: http://pastebin.com/bkd4cUek

6. Zauber Paracelsus

Reading back myself through the log, it seems like there are a lot of "could not apply patch" errors due to the Avali mod not being installed. Although I doubt it, perhaps the problem is due to that?

7. Zauber Paracelsus

Acting on my hunch above, I tweaked the BYOSRC mod to remove the Avali patch, and created another new character to test if it worked, and it did. Apparently, not having both the Avali and Felin mods installed prevents the BYOSRC mod from loading at all.

8. Amber Talamasca

damn, thanks for testing that Zauber. I will split up the mods

9. Zauber Paracelsus

It's too bad JSON files don't support conditionals. That'd make it easier for mods to be adapted to one another.

10. Amber Talamasca

11. Amber Talamasca

12. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

I'm sorry to say but, after several attempts over this month on my free time, I still can't get this to work for the Argonian race.
    I'm sorry; I really tried. ._.

The part I'm unsure at is where to exactly get the files mentioned below.
    .metadata (from downloading what's available here?)
    universe_server.config.patch (from downloading what's available here?)
    /ships/<racename>/blockkey.config (am I to take this from my race mod's folder?)
    /quests/story/bootship.questtemplate.patch (am I to take this from the 'BYOS 1.3' mod folder?)

And I'm also unsure on whether I should be overriding the original file of 'BYOS 1.3' or having these edited files as a separate mod.

Moreover, for '<modname>', do I follow the name of the mod exactly in the 'Mods' menu in-game (i.e. change <modname> into <Argonian Race Redux - Old Heads>)? That and do I remove the '<' and '>'?

I've been trial-and-error editing all over the place to understand what I'm doing wrong (or that it's the race files itself?).
    If possible, could I have a hand in this or some clarification on the guide?

Here's the link to the Argonian race mod for reference.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/argonian-race-redux.3957/

13. SwagCrab

SwagCrab Big Damn Hero

I've been trying for a day and a half now to get this to work for Kazdra race. (and a few others would follow if i could make it work...) I've followed the instructions completely and still every time instead of giving the custom ship, it maxes out the default. And that's only when the game is able to boot at all. Doing trial and error with attempting to make it work sometimes it just breaks so badly the game decides it doesn't even want to launch...

In an effort to see what happened i tried it with your default Avali fix. The Avali SAIL just disappeared when I interacted with it and I wasn't even able to beam down! The original mod seems to work perfectly for all vanilla races still so.... I'm not sure what's going wrong and would really like some help! Thanks. ;-;

14. SwagCrab

SwagCrab Big Damn Hero

After tweaking some things I got the SAIL to not vanish for Avali... but the ship still maxes out instead of making the BYOS base ship. Hopefully will be able to fix this soon since I love BYOS a lot and want to use it with non-vanilla races! :0

15. Amber Talamasca

there's a couple of things that could be messing with it. Unpack the race mod file and see if the folder in the ships folder is written the same, I can imagine a situation where the coded racename is slightly different than the displayed one.
    The include needs to include the mod name of the mod. again, if the creator opted to call it argonianrace or something slightly different then the displayed race name, it wont work. you need the actual race name.

Code:
    .metadata (from downloading what's available here?)
    universe_server.config.patch (from downloading what's available here?)
    /ships/<racename>/blockkey.config (am I to take this from my race mod's folder?)
    /quests/story/bootship.questtemplate.patch (am I to take this from the 'BYOS 1.3' mod folder?)

all files except the blockkey one are new, and all the contend needed is shown in the tutorial. yes, they are pretty small, but thats all thats needed.

16. Amber Talamasca

17. SwagCrab

SwagCrab Big Damn Hero

Okay! I got it to work. The issue was the .metadata file code provided. Following the instructions here to-a-T gives this error and crash on startup:
    [​IMG]

But! Copying the .metadata from your BYOS extension for Felins and adjusting it for the race makes the mod work perfectly! Maybe want to fix the main page? :0

Either way I'm super glad I got it to work because BYOS is one of my fave mods and I love using it for most of my characters-- not just vanilla races! ovo/

18. Amber Talamasca

did you replace <modname> with the race modname?
    it SHOULD work with the instructions given

19. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I'm trying to make an extension for the Orcana mod. When I complete the quest, the ship gets upgraded to max tier but does not become the BYOS version. The log file is attached.

EDIT: Ok, I think this is the problem:

Code:
    [Error] Could not apply patch from file /universe_server.config.patch in source: ../mods/byoscrorcana.  Caused by: (JsonPatchException) Could not apply patch to base. (JsonPatchException) Could not apply operation to base. (TraversalException) No such key 'orcana' in pathApply("/speciesShips/orcana/-")
    So I guess that "orcana" is not the correct key? It should be the right name for the race, I even went into the mod's own universe_server.config.patch file and copy pasted "orcana" to make sure I didn't somehow misspell it.

This sort of sounds like the problem that Zauber had, except I get the fully upgraded ship with the hazard blocks.

EDIT: No longer getting error messages, mods load in the correct order, but the ships still turn into T8 Orcana ships.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  20. NightmareDL

NightmareDL Subatomic Cosmonaut

I couldn't make it work and i think i followed all the steps correctly , im trying with the kazdra race
    My discord is Nightmare#2005 in case you could send me a message to help me