Can you have too many salmonberries?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by One More Day, Oct 27, 2018.

1. One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

OK, just had a massive PB for first day of salmonberry season. The RNG likes me today!

2018-10-27.png

It seemed like every bush had a berry, and with Foraging 4 bonus berry, I managed to get 182 of them. I still have three days left to gather more, but that's already close to as many as I've got in a whole 4-day season on some unlucky saves, I think my lowest was about 220-ish. I now face a dilemma - do I gather all the berries and try for a new season's PB on that, or do I skip berries and hit the mines tomorrow?

So anyway, all this got me wondering what people's year 1 salmonberry season record is, I know I've had well over 400 before. Share your glorious salmonberry hauls.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

if you are big on wine and preserves it is worth it to have them for when you are low or lacking on other ingredients and if you are cheap on the mines they are a good source of energy. i say go for it ^^

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Is your pickaxe ready to go? I'd probably mine one of the two days, but like you I've got my pickaxe in the shop during salmon berries.

• One More Day

Yeah, doubt anyone ever put salmonberries in kegs; for just 10g each, it's not even worth the time spent running round to fill them. Could earn the same money by spending that time fishing, and still have a huge supply of energy.

Yeah, my steel pickaxe is finished tomorrow, and I was lucky enough to find an iron edge, which is a pretty decent weapon upgrade. Unfortunately I still have another 20 levels to go before I get to the gold ore; I'd have liked it to have been only 10, or at most 15, but I have the gear to still get to 80 inside two days, it's just a decision of when they should be.

The 182 berries I have now is already easily enough to last me into summer, as I only have about 60 berries worth of my originally planned watering left to do (not accounting for any rain I might get) and I doubt I'll use anywhere near 120 more of them in 13 days of mining, chopping and fishing. It's quite tempting right now to just sack off the remaining days of salmonberries, collecting only what I literally walk past, and do something different for once.

With the steel pickaxe back tomorrow, I probably have a really good chance to potentially have my best sprinkler effort since 1.3 came out and basically nerfed ore gathering. My 1.2 record was 75 quality sprinklers by Summer 1, and a gold hoe to plant it all, whereas in 1.3 I think I've scraped to the 40 mark two or three times, but basically not much more than that, and never had the gold hoe.

Or I have about 3k of sellable reserves, and I don't need any cash for upgrades right now, not until day 21 or 23 to get started on the hoe, so I could slap down another 60 potatoes pretty easily tomorrow, with just enough time to replant them for a second harvest before month end. Then I could combine that with hitting fishing hard for three days, to get a heap of cash, and reach Fishing 10 this season, something else I've found harder in 1.3 with all the extra time you have to spend mining now. That cash will be a big help to getting the animals off to a flyer if I decide to do bundles instead of Joja (I always hedge my bets and get a bean starter before deciding later in the season).

It's a interesting balancing act, and for me at least, it's uncharted territory in 1.3; I could end up with more sprinklers than I can afford to plant, or able to buy more crops than I can get covered by sprinklers. Obviously the latter is preferable, because you can still plant them and quickly add a few sprinklers each day after watering.

Decisions, decisions......

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

-shrugs- i put them in kegs and jars. it is better than leaving them empty(though i suppose from your answer you'd rather have nothing at all than something cheap)

• One More Day

In the case of salmonberries, yes, I'd rather have nothing than something so cheap that it's actually worth less than nothing. It is literally better to leave kegs empty than put salmonberries in them. Kegging them is basically burning money, there is no economic argument in favour of doing it.

It takes a finite amount of time to load and unload kegs, it's not instantaneous (w/o mods). Around 50 kegs per hour is about the limit, and at a truly pathetic +10g per berry, you only earn about 500g per hour for the time you spend kegging them, compared to selling raw. The EV of fishing the mountain lake is about the same as that, and you still have all the energy for future use, so if there's absolutely nothing else to do, it's better simply to go fishing than keg salmonberries. Only keg them if you hate money. Or if you specifically want some wine for gifting, fine, put a few in kegs, but that's the only reason.

As for jars, because of the additional +50g constant on them, salmonberry jelly might just about be worth the effort, but probably not by much. Again you can load/unload around 50 per hour; at +55g per berry, that's an underwhelming 2,750g per hour, hardly stellar stuff, and honestly, I'd rather keep the energy in hand.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

fair enough