Modding Help Can you make a blueprint craftable?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AmazonValkyrie, Mar 20, 2016.

1. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I've gotta custom tech that I want to add, but I wanted to make it so the player could craft it, namely the blueprint for it. I wanted to steer away tying it into the shipupgrade files (as most techs are unlocked from) if I could, so I'm hoping I can just make it a craftable blueprint. I know that blueprints pretty much only show up as loot from chests, so I'm not sure if this is actually possible. As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

2. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Well, while crafting blueprints and having them spawn in chests would be nice, the issue lies due to the fact that, to my knowledge, techs can no longer be learned, only enabled by the SAIL.

While looking around for a good way to learn/enable ai commands through item pickup and consumables, I found a neat little workaround for your dilemma:

EDIT:
    I've provided a template mini-mod that does a couple of things:
    1) It teaches the player the item through player.config for 1 pixel (provided for testing purposes).
    2) On pickup, it gives the character the quest and immediately fulfills it.
    3) Upon fulfilling the quest, it enables the tech in the SAIL console.

It should be noted that, while the player.config does teach the player the item, it could be changed through a patch or a new item with "learnBlueprintOnPickup", thus teaching the player how to craft the item that will unlock your tech. Alternatively, you can lock the item behind a further-up crafting station such as the Robo crafting table or the Metalwork Station through the recipe file.

File can be obtained through here!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  3. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

Thank you so much for this solution! It works perfectly for my needs ^_^

G.Xyon likes this.
  4. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Glad I could help! Happy modding!