1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Cannot Fish :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by cerahx, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cerahx

cerahx Poptop Tamer

Hey guys,

I'm pretty far out into Stardew Valley, but for some reason, fishing doesn't work for me.
    I tried searching if anyone else was having this issue, but most the threads I found relating to fishing were just complaints about the mini-game mechanics.

So when I cast my line and my hook gets a bite, my character doesn't get the exclamation point or the "hit" notification. It just makes a sound and the left click doesn't launch the mini-game.

Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, how did you fix it? I checked the XML save file that's hidden in Appdata to see if anything seemed off, but the values were correct.

Let me know! I can't lose another Ice Festival cause of this!

Many thanks,
    Sara

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Hrm, that's pretty odd. But, it sounds more like an issue with the game files. Are you using any mods?
      I'd try verifying your game files through Steam, just note that it'll overwrite any mods so make a backup of those if you are.

Instructions:
      Go to Stardew Valley in your Steam Library, and right click on it. Go down to "Properties", and click on that. Then on the new window it brings up, go to the 3rd tab called "Local Files". Click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".

Then give the game a try, and see if it works.

cerahx likes this.
      • cerahx

cerahx Poptop Tamer

Hello hello~!

I actually tried checking the integrity of my cache via steam as well :/
        I'm actually not using any mods either, so I'm really stumped as to why it isn't functioning correctly.
        If anything, maybe I can uninstall the game, reinstall, and simply just have a copy of my saves stored elsewhere, maybe?

• Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

Probably the best way to fix it, but i would reccomend you submiting the bug (maybe you need to submit some game files) so it can be fixed for future players.

cerahx likes this.
          • MysticTempest

Yea, you could try that.
            The 'hit' notification is only when it's a fish. But, you should always get the 'exclamation mark' notification, and at least get trash items if it's not a fish.
            So yea, set your savefiles aside, and try a clean reinstall. I'll look more on my end, and see if I can recreate it somehow.

Also, if you want to upload your savefile for me to check. Or if you want to test out your game, I've uploaded mine. But, I don't believe that's the issue.

Attached Files:

cerahx likes this.
            • cerahx

cerahx Poptop Tamer

Sure! I'll submit a bug request and see if it gets noticed.

I'll upload my save file here.

I'll also test yours out to see if I can fish or not after I take a quick nap :p

Attached Files:

MysticTempest likes this.
              • MysticTempest

So yea, Cerahx; I tested out your save the other day and it worked fine for me. Let me know how your test with my savefile, and reinstalling the game go; as it probably is just corrupt game files. I know Steam is a bit buggy sometimes when revalidating files.

• evening0stars

evening0stars Intergalactic Tourist

I'm having this same issue but on Xbox. I had sold/got rid of my fishing pole and played a long time. I think after the recent update I bought a new pole and now when I get a bite nothing will start the mini-game. I've tried all the buttons, but the only thing I can do is reel the line back in. It has been like this for several days.

• evening0stars

evening0stars Intergalactic Tourist

Never mind. The ice festival came along and it seems to be working. Maybe I just sucked at hitting the x button at the right time. Or the ice festival fixed it. The mysteries of life.