Captain's Log (Episode 1 out NOW!) (A Cinematic Series)

Discussion in 'Videos' started by ZallCaTor, Dec 18, 2014.

?

Are you excited?

Poll closed May 5, 2015.
  1. Heck Yeah!

86.5%
  2. Boo, No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Meh...

13.5%
  1. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hay 'yall, sorry to just up and abandon the project. My life (and a girl) happened all at once.
    The show will not continue, sadly, but it was based off the book trilogy "Lone" I've been writing in my spare time. So if you like that, you can check it out on Wappad.
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/46408338-lone-book-i-lost

I've written quite a bit, but only the first chapter is uploaded. More will be soon as I see them fit to publish.

[​IMG]

Hello, my name is ZallCaTor and I am proud to present the Starbound cinematic series, Captain's Log!
    Remember to fallow me on Twitter for daily updates! @ZallCaTor

I plan to upload the first few episodes every three weeks or so, then once my work load decreases in the next month, I may upload episodes every one or two weeks.
    Remember, I've only got one guy working on the sound, graphics, recording, set design, music, social media, etc., that one guy is me. So patients is appreciated, and of course, like, share, subscribe. It really helps me stay motivated.

===================================================================
    [​IMG]

The universe is at peace, and a balance prevails. But one day a mysterious race disturbs the once tranquil pool of peace and sends worlds into chaos, scattering people across the universe. Our protagonist, Jude, is dragged away from his family and drafted into the army to fight this diabolical threat to humanity. But during a secret mission to destroy an enemy base, he is confronted with a horrible decision and something powerful, something terrifying.

The soundtrack will consist of the regular Starbound soundtrack, the works of Kevin Macleod, Symphonic "classical" music, and "oldies," to give the otherwise modern setting a unique and antique feel.

At the moment, all voices are done by me. I plan to keep this to a minimum, sense my voice isn't the best in the world. So I will, at least try, to get a guest YouTube star for every episode to voice a character in that episode.
    For instance, in episode 4, I will ask StampyCat to voice a character called "Soy." His high, energetic voice will really help to bring life to the character.

In light of the lack of voice actors, I will keep the dialogue to a minimum, and instead will use narration, visuals, sound and music to portray thoughts and feelings. This, I believe, could be the signature style of this show.

I plan for each episode to be about 5-7 minutes long. I was shooting for longer, but with the work load, and spacing of videos, 5-7 minutes is a very reasonable episode length.

In addition to the effort, I have also pored allot of money into this, from custom HD intro graphics, to sound effects, programs, devices, and, hopefully, a custom soundtrack. So far I've spent around $300. Ok, maybe that's not allot in the grand scheme of things, but, I don't know many people who would spend that kind of money on a series like this.

So please, enjoy!
    ===================================================================

[​IMG]

Episode 1

=========================================================

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clip/Teaser 2:

Short Teaser 1:

Official Trailer:

Stay up to date!: Checkout my YouTube and/or subscribe to be the first to see new episodes!:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv_eAL5JJc3Q1rYv50GwrtQ

[​IMG]
    (Here are some sneak peak shots of the pilot episode in the making)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. Feera

Feera Subatomic Cosmonaut

xD - I like the trailer, looks like I'll definitely give it a few watches as soon as they roll out! I see a birdy, so naturally I'm in!

3. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Meh for now, but I want to watch it. I may like it ;)

4. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Interest. This series seems promising.

5. ZallCaTor

[​IMG]
    Alright folks, here's a quick update.
    I wanted to wait before giving a time estimate for the release of episode one, so here it is, but be aware, I will be creating the first five episodes or so before actually releasing the first episode. In other words, when I release an episode, there will be 4 other episodes ready to go, just in case I feel ill, or stuff happens, or I need to fix a discrepancy between two episodes.

I plan to upload episode 1 between May 1st-15th. I KNOW, it's so dang long. I almost wish I had held off on announcing the show, but I got excited....
    BUT FEAR NOT! You will be granted with much content between now and then. For instance, this Thurday (Christmas Day) I will release a short clip from episode 1, which is 70% done btw.
    In addition to various, unscheduled shorts. These will be short (duh), sweet, and hilarious, and may even contain "cameos" of characters from the show.
    After the release of episode 1 I will release an episode at the beginning of every month. After a few episodes, and after I've gotten the flow, I will try to shorten that wait time to about 2 weeks between each episode release.
    The length of each episode is still up in the air. But I will not allow the episodes to be shorter than 10 minutes, that's a guarantee. I was really hoping for 20 minutes, but 15 is sounding more and more reasonable as time goes on. Still, no official episode length yet...

So, overall:
    Episodes will start airing around May 1st.
    Clip release on Christmas day.
    Between episodes I will release Starbound shorts, and clips from future episodes.
    Episode length undetermined, but no less than 10 minutes.

Remember to share,
    Thanks for your patients,
    And Merry Christmas!
    Yours- ZallCaTor
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419363689][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I plan to turn that "Meh," into, a "Hell Yeah!"
    ;)

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  6. LC98

LC98 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Boston... YESSSS. Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) more!

7. ZallCaTor

IKR. I was dying to use that song. Expect to hear lots of oldies throughout the show. ;)

LC98 likes this.
  8. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I hope so :3

9. Lobardi

Lobardi Star Wrangler

I'll give it a go, look quite promising.

I did see that you said you had a lack of voices, I would offer mine but I'm sure you don't need a rough sounding English bloke! :laugh:

10. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

That sounds like a great idea! I heard you complaints about lack of animations and cinematics in another thread so I see why that'd be a problem to your plans now.
    I'm hoping to see more of this though!

11. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

Hey ZallCaTor! Just came across this and it looks really neat!
    If you need a voice actor, don't hesitate to reach out to me! I have a deeper, more bassy tone if that's what you're looking for. I'm capable of higher ranges as well and am no stranger to voice acting. I'm deep in the Starbound community and have a self-named youtube channel as well if you want to see credentials.

I also design dungeons and ships!

PS. I'm not looking for money either, I think this would be exciting to do!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  12. ZallCaTor

[​IMG]

HURRAY! Here's a small Christmas present. A clip from episode one. Enjoy!

Main post also updated with this video.​

Marth5543, LC98, sansy and 2 others like this.
  13. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Nice!
    Um, I should suggest though that you add subtitles for people who cannot make out what is being said ^^; Just saying.

14. ZallCaTor

Ok, good idea.

15. Captain Snyder

Captain Snyder Space Hobo

Yes! I'm definately looking forward to this show.

I find it funny because atone point I was writing an forum-based interactive fan-story set in the Star Bound universe.

16. ZallCaTor

I'm curious, is it hard to tell what the computer is saying? (This is part of the reason I posted the clip, to test out the logistics of the show.) Should I change the computer voice? Make it louder?

17. ZallCaTor

Thank you, I will keep you in mind, and let you know when a part opens up that I believe you would fit well in. That won't be for about a month, just FYI. The first episode has only two spoken parts, the Narrorator (Jude: (main character)) and the ship computer.

18. StarBrethren

StarBrethren Phantasmal Quasar

I don't believe the ship's AI was too quiet, by himself he would have been heard perfectly. For me, it was the commotion of the explosion drowning him out, even the alarm didn't drown him out too much. You balanced the tracks well as there's no out of range distortion, he's just too quiet compared to some of the ambient noise in that situation. Rather than turn him up (Risking distortion), I'd turn the ambiance down a little.

19. ZallCaTor

Thanks, good advice. I think I'll dampen the sound peaks.

20. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I still would recommend subtitles just in case. ^^; Cause the ambient sounds can drown out what is being said.
    I had that happen when I was watching a few lets plays on youtube.