Modding Discussion Capturing NPCs

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Sean10M, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

This has been brought up in the past (even by myself) but it would be really cool to have a mod that lets us capture NPC's. There would be a lot one can do with it from bringing companions with you to capturing outlaws to later lock them up or if you want to be really villainous even enslave civilians.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I haven't looked much at the capture mechanics. I expect you'd just need to add some select functions to NPCs. If I really looked at it, I might realize it is more complicated that that? But not knowing the specifics, I don't think it would be.

But after figuring out what you need to do to make it happen, you need to look at what other mods might be altering such files and try to keep it compatible. Depending on the details, that might possibly be simple or it might not be.

3. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think The Game Hunter already enables us to "capture" NPCs as inanimated objects? Maybe to make illusion of being liviing the object can be made animated instead (like the bug jars)...

4. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

Unlike insects or critters NPC's are procedurally generated. So I highly doubt turning them into an animated item would be possible. For example the the bug jars are not the actual mob. They are an animated item with an image of the mob as the animation. Similar I'd say to how critter catching mods work. Since all of these have the same forms (with maybe the occasional recolours) they can be recreated as an animated image.

I don't know too much about the differences between NPC's and monsters but they are both technically NPCs and probably use similar-ish code. I don't have a lot of experience with code myself but I know bits and bobs so I may look at some mods (as suggested by bk3k up there) that play with capture mechanics and see how simple or complex it could be. But either way I doubt setting it up to capture NPC's is impossible.

As for Game Hunter. I am aware of that and have used it for those purposes to extents. But there is still only so much you can do with a stiff statue even if you have an overflowing imagination like me.

But thanks for the reply anyway. Greatly appreciated.