1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Orange Elites

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Neapolitan Shark, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ShadowlessWanderer

ShadowlessWanderer Pangalactic Porcupine

If you want to test out the indicators thing, by all means, go for it. For all I know what I said is only because my pc. Im just stating my personal experience.
    It seems like the lower the hp of the elite, the more missiles they'll launch but that just might be me. But the point still stands that pretty much no matter how many missiles they launch, if you stay moving and jumping, the missiles will rarely hit you (if ever) Missiles are extremely easy to dodge and by the point you realize where the missiles are coming from you should know that "I have to kill that thing as fast as I can" thus reducing the chance for missiles to hit you. They can't shoot missiles if they're dead right?

Off topic: Evolved Lemurians can be elites? Learn something new every day. (Excluding Vagrants and the Young Vagrats on the final level) I thought flying enemies couldn't get elite properties because their ability to fly and phase through walls was a benefit enough and it was balanced.

• Zawisza

Zawisza Astral Cartographer

Evolved Lemurians cant be elites. Unless they get their abilities when they land. I honestly never saw that thou but now im not entirely sure.

• Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

Now now, let's not give into him saying that we are insulting his playstyle.

I was not meaning to be a jackass or anything by saying that you are doing something wrong, and I was giving you ideas for it.
        The thing is, Missiles can't be countered. They are made to make you move. So, if you aren't moving (which would be the only reason that the 1-second deviation would be a problem), you are doing it wrong.

• Neapolitan Shark

Neapolitan Shark Space Spelunker

I've seen Full-healthed elites fire multiple missiles in succession, and badly damaged elites only launch one missile periodically. By any change are you using the Spirit artifact? That might change their behavior a bit. If you are good enough you should be able to dodge 100% of the attacks coming to you (unless you willingly take damage to speed up the run), when you say "rarley" that proves my point. There are simply better ways to fill this role.

Only with the Honor artifact enabled, I play Honor+Glass+Command+Sacrifice, I can't recall if the dive damaged you without it being an elite, it's been a long time since I've played a no artifact run.[/quote]

Okay, you are starting to piss me off, all you have been doing since your first post is tell me that I'm playing the game wrong, stop it. This is not the thread to critique my play, make your own god damn thread if you want to do that.

• Dargona1018

My first post had nothing to do with you playing wrong, and only 1 or 2 posts even talked about how you play the game.
            We are critiquing your play because that is the problem.

Listen to this, and think about it with a level head:
            Say there is a game that is decently hard, and someone is having troubles with something that is completely OP.
            He thinks that is how it is to everyone, so he proposes a nerf. Now, proposing that opens himself up to criticism.
            So, people respond all reverberating that it is not OP, that he is doing something wrong.
            What should be the logical thing to do: try to continue saying that it is OP even though it is not, or actually try what they are saying and see the error of your ways?

This is not us JUST criticizing or anything of the like, its us showing you that its not OP, and if you took the time out of your day to play as we suggested and see that it isn't, then we wouldn't be here arguing with you because you feel like arguing.

There is no reason for me to get on your nerves in light of the others saying much harsher and less helpful things, unless you are trolling or are just bad.
            So please, stop defending the wrong position, as it's a fact that even the Devs would probably agree on seeing as there have been no rebalancing threads for Missile Elites.

• Zawisza

Okay, you are starting to piss me off, all you have been doing since your first post is tell me that I'm playing the game wrong, stop it. This is not the thread to critique my play, make your own god damn thread if you want to do that.[/quote]

2: I need to research that, never saw elite flying enemies be it lemurian, archer or jelly.

3: I want to laugh so hard at this. YOU mister are complaining about the thing which can be countered by being a little bit more active in gameplay. We are giving you advices, which you, as i said, totally dismiss, being all whiny about enemies which doesnt even pose that much of a threat. Then we call BS on your gameplay, and you go emo. Dude, honestly, if missile enemies are really that much of a concern here, you can always play at Drizzle. Nobody else EVER had issues with explo elites, they either uninstalled the game and moved on or get better at the game itself. You make entire topic, which is slowly becoming a rage war against all those bad people who prefer to have explo elites. There is no way, youll force this idea. Get it already. The mayority of the players will (and in fact are) be against removing or revamping oranges, because, as i said so many times, its the olny threat for ranged. Theoretically, since they do little to no damage. But wait! U iz use Glass! Thats explain everything. Missile guys can one shot you and thats the reason of this entire whine. Smooth. I mean really, you are playing on monsoon with the almost op combo there is (you need origin to complete it thou). Its not orange elites that are the issue here. Its the fact, you nuke everything on one hit and pay no attention to your surrounding, hence having stupid deaths to missiles which kills you instantly. There, nothing about the gameplay, everything about the setup. Case closed.

ed. Now that I think about it, its just cheesy. Whining because we picked up artifact which gives us no health but super powered punch? This topic should be closed right now, or it will quickly become Risk of Shit(Storm) as my patience run extra thin here.

• Dargona1018

2: I need to research that, never saw elite flying enemies be it lemurian, archer or jelly.

3: I want to laugh so hard at this. YOU mister are complaining about the thing which can be countered by being a little bit more active in gameplay. We are giving you advices, which you, as i said, totally dismiss, being all whiny about enemies which doesnt even pose that much of a threat. Then we call BS on your gameplay, and you go emo. Dude, honestly, if missile enemies are really that much of a concern here, you can always play at Drizzle. Nobody else EVER had issues with explo elites, they either uninstalled the game and moved on or get better at the game itself. You make entire topic, which is slowly becoming a rage war against all those bad people who prefer to have explo elites. There is no way, youll force this idea. Get it already. The mayority of the players will (and in fact are) be against removing or revamping oranges, because, as i said so many times, its the olny threat for ranged. Theoretically, since they do little to no damage. But wait! U iz use Glass! Thats explain everything. Missile guys can one shot you and thats the reason of this entire whine. Smooth. I mean really, you are playing on monsoon with the almost op combo there is (you need origin to complete it thou). Its not orange elites that are the issue here. Its the fact, you nuke everything on one hit and pay no attention to your surrounding, hence having stupid deaths to missiles which kills you instantly. There, nothing about the gameplay, everything about the setup. Case closed.[/quote]
                No offense, but you aren't helping either of our cases with your slightly harsher / possibly-inflammatory responses, as he can't take my words seriously when he confuses you and I as the same person.

• Zawisza

But its so infuriating. He use Glass and expect the nerf of the possibly only thing which can actually hit him until way later on, when he will be matching gods in terms of power! I know im getting a little bit too personal here, but this is just beyond me. I mean really, when i was playing RoR, getting out of deadly situations was fun and engaging, and NOBODY was like "nerf this because its hitting my booty hard". Ffs, this game should be hard. In fact it should be harder with every up. At least monsoon. We also need to think for guys who starts their adventure on the nameless planet after all. Gaaah. I want to drown puppies and burn down orphanages because of this topic! (not really, dont call the cops)

• Neapolitan Shark

Don't you be so analytical buster, you know what I meant.

This is a thread about changing an aspect of the game in favor of a different one. If this was because of me not being able to win the game because of them Then I'd be recommending cutting the enemy out and only that. But you can't see that I'm trying to make something fill in that space in order to keep the difficulty the same if not harder, but requiring more skill rather than lucky timing.

The missiles are not overpowered, but have needlessly random elements to them that could be replaced with different, more skill-based ones. Why can't you and Zaw understand the difference?

• Zawisza

Because there is none. Missiles, from all things concidered, are about the most skill based encounters in the game. Yellow can tp in your face randomly, blue can zap you because he feel like to, green is just a chore since he have lots of hp and can heal and reds are concidered by me the noob traps, when you have little hp and want to pass quickly, step into the fire and die. The orange ones are requiring the most skill to deal with. Hell, they are the olny one requiring any sort of skill AT ALL. The rest are pure luck based at least their secondary skills. Yellow can be a sitting duck throu his entire lifespan so do blue and green. And oranges are the olny active ones tbh.

Dargona1018 likes this.
                      • Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I believe the orange elite and the rocket elite are the same. It's called the Volatile elite.

Now, if my memory hasn't spiraled into madness, all volatile enemies has explosive attacks, while only certain enemies have the rocket ability.

The rocket ability is granted to high level enemies, like clay men, snow golems (not stone ones), and bighorn bison. The ability is granted to most enemies introduced in levels 3 and up.

Now, the game has these abilities given to enemies on higher levels for a reason. It expects that what you've gained from stages one and two will be enough for you to counter this new hurdle. So the key is to prepare yourself for this new obstacle in the prior stages.

• Neapolitan Shark

Lemurians, Rock golems, and Sand crabs can all be volitile and have the ability to launch missiles on stage 1. Sorry to burst your bubble

• Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Well, good thing I included the part about my memory spiraling into insanity...
                            So, in that case, I'll side with Sharky here. I like the idea of splitting the Volatile elite into two.

• Dunto

Dunto Guest

Hey all,

Keep it civil in here. I've seen some posts from several users that could have been much calmer/nicer. Please remember to be respectful of your fellow forum members and their opinions.

• Zawisza

Okay then. Lets assume, the oranges will be split into orange (volatile) and lets say brown (missile). First of all, both need second power. You know, after the third lvl on rainstorm and imidiately on monsoon. Even if, by any chance, those powers wont be ultimately either super weak or super strong, it will give us not only yet another elite to bother, but also greatly reduce the chance of survival for new players. Imagine, that you have missile spewer from the start on rainstorm, but after third level he upgrades, getting new ability, which will be even stronger than the first one. This thing will rebalance the entire game and instead of focusing on real threats, like blues or yellows, newbies will focus on destroying missile spewers while their asses will be handed to them by the guys which can one shot them easily. Not olny that, new elite will most likely start being annoying when the imbalanced this way or another, new power of old elite likewise, and we will have the whole story of patch 1.2.0 all over again. This time because volatile gets, lets say, mines which one shot HAN-D with two bears. Well, okay, balancing stuff is really just my rant here, whatever, my point here is, new elite will change everything, and instead of some cool and fun one, like, alternate bosses or new characters, we get boring new colour nobody is interested in. Thats not the way. Besides, as i said, it will olny bring more chaos, and people will hail betrayal on that. Why? Because it screws over everything, from such basic things as colouring sheets for something far greater like item priority on certain survivors. In this case, assuming i am the newbie, i would like more protection from missiles. So instead of being mobile and hard hitting, i would rather gather (as much as possible) tanky stuff like bears or Colossals. If you really want this rework done so badly, i would rather suggest rehauling missiles, which is again, stupid, but better idea. Like dropping down dmg but gives slow (due to shellshock), or something like that. Lets not tinker with stuff which works well.

Owl_Stalker likes this.
                                • Neapolitan Shark

When did I ever say that the new elites should get a second power? My whole idea was to split one elite into two more manageable ones , not make two more equally complex elites. You are using the logical fallacy to get your point across. You are putting words into my mouth and changing my, which is actually yours you made up, narrative to fit your needs.

• Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

The new elites would have second powers because the other elites have two powers.

• Neapolitan Shark

Then what are the Frenzied, Overloading, Healing and Flaming Elites secondary abilities?

• Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Frenzied are fast and teleport. Leeching have extra health in edition to their elite health bonus, gain health when damaging you, and heal other enemies. (Oh boy, three!) I believe (420)Blazing only have the fire drop, and I am not sure how Overloading works.
                                        EDIT: Overloading has the single ability of the Zeus Touch, while the Blazing has a fire trail and increased damage.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
                                        • Neapolitan Shark

Oh, I always grouped those attributes into one ability. My apologies.