1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Character Concept

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Faang, May 14, 2013.

1. Faang

Faang Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Shifter
    This character is skill based. Forcing the player to think about the situation they are in and change themselves accordingly. Instead of just a simple toolkit of moves, the goal is to have simple moves that need to be tuned to each situation.

Forms
    Ranger
    [​IMG]
    Speed:+++++
    Jump:+++++
    Regen:+++++
    • - Shoot Arrow: (Full range for 80% damage) [25% Chance for pierce] {0.5 sec cooldown}
    • - Passive: Double Shot (5% chance to grab 2 arrows next shot)
    • - Shift Bonus: +50% Attack 3sec, Invulnerable 1.5 sec
    Skill 1: Shoot Arrow
    Skill 2: Fighter
    Skill 3: Controller
    Skill 4: Magician
    Fighter
    [​IMG]
    • - Hard Punch: (Reach for 100% damage) [10% chance for knockback/stun] {1 sec cooldown}
    • - Passive: Counter (5% chance to reflect 50% of incoming damage at enemy)
    • - Shift Bonus: +25% Knockback/stun, Invulnerable 2 sec
    Skill 1: Hard Punch
    Skill 2: Ranger
    Skill 3: Controller
    Controller
    [​IMG]
    • - Mind Control: (Activate skill, left click on enemy) [115% Damage up to 3x] {15 sec cooldown}
    • - Passive: Help! (5% chance for allies to block 1 incoming attack)
    • - Shift Bonus: +30% Speed 3sec, Invulnerable 1.5 sec
    Skill 1: Mind Control
    Skill 3: Fighter

Other Notes: It would be interesting if the controller mode used the mouse to "command" the controlled mobs to tell them what to attack (ala Diablo)
    Magician
    [​IMG]
    • - Magic Burst: (half screen for 125% damage) [10% chance to ignite enemies] {2 sec cooldown}
    • - Passive: Mana Leak (5% chance to chain lightning skill 1 on contact)
    • - Shift Bonus: +25% Attack Speed 3 sec, Invulnerable 1.5 sec
    Skill 1: Magic Burst
    Skill 3: Fighter
    Skill 4: Controller

Other Notes
    I haven't worked out the typing system for enemies but it would be neat if this character was stronger against different enemies based on what form it has taken (primarily strength given through tactical advantage. i.e. distance attack for a brawler enemy, stunning attack for fast enemies, etc.)

Suggestions?
    Tweaks?
    Banter?
    Leave your message at the beep.

Beep.

Daimera likes this.
    • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

• Faang

hehe :iswydt:

Anyways, until it's fleshed out and can be presented well, I need help developing the idea so I thought making a new thread would be better. If people don't think it's good or can't help find ways of making it cool, then it's a bunk idea :p

• Shrooblord

No, I like the idea. How about these four forms:
        • Ranged
        • Melee Tank
        • Necromancer (Ranged)
        • Stealth (Melee)
        The Ranged form is similar to the Commando in that he needs to keep his distance. The problem is that, unlike the commando, he doesn't have the abilities to do that, for all of his abilities make the character shapeshift. So the player will need to manually keep the Ranged at a distance from large crowds. His benefits are that his attacks have a 20% chance to pierce and his attack speed is quite high.
        The Melee Tank takes reduced damage and is useful in crowds.
        The Necromancer has a 15% chance to turn a killed enemy into a familiar Ghost.
        The Stealth goes invisible when out of combat for 3s and will deal 150% damage if he attacks out of stealth.

I realise this makes the character kind of a knock-off of other classes, but there's my suggestions for the four forms anyway.

• Faang

Hmm, I would say Ranged could be the stealth mode.

Shifter

Ranged/Stealth (skill 2)
          - Move 90%
          - Range shots for 80% damage 2 shots/sec (skill 1)
          - Smaller detection zone
          - 100% Health

Melee/Brute (skill 3)
          - Move 100%
          - Melee strike 3/sec 25% chance for knockback/stun (skill 1)
          - 100% damage
          - 150% Health

Speed/Controller (skill 4)
          - Move 110%
          - Take control of up to 3 enemies (become smaller in size, move same speed as character) (skill 1)
          - Each enemy attacks 15% faster than normal, for 100% damage, doing the attack they normally do against the player
          - 80% Health

This would accommodate having 3 form keys and a single attack/control key

It would be interesting if the controller mode used the mouse to "command" the controlled mobs to tell them what to attack (ala Diablo)

Thoughts/tweaks? I'm not sure about the % I suggested but they seem pretty even (with no testing at all).

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

It makes sense to have four forms because you'll already be in one of them, so then you have three keys for the other three.

• Faang

How do you get to the 4th state then?

• Shrooblord

Ah I see. You wanted to keep one ability as a changing basic attack. I thought that, because you have four abilities and four forms, every ability would automatically make the character change form and function as that character's basic attack. If we can have changing abilities, then sure, every class could have its ability. Say in Class 1 you have abilities 2, 3 and 4 active that can change him to Class 2, 3 and 4 respectively. Then in Class 2, ability 2 swaps around and becomes the transmorpher to Class 1. Etc.

But if you keep to the framework we've been presented so far, you'll have to make each ability a class's specific basic attack. That, or you have a basic attack that's the same for all classes (Ability 1) that just gets attack speed/damage buffs as you morph around into different classes.

• Faang

Yeah your later explanation is how I have it so far. Keys 2, 3, and 4 are the 3 forms listed (always). And then Key 1 is basic attack for all of the forms.

However I like the idea of changing the 3 forms for a total of 4 forms and the same 1 basic skill.

Shifter

Ranged/Stealth
                  - Move 90%
                  - Range shots for 80% damage 2 shots/sec (skill 1)
                  - Smaller detection zone
                  - 100% Health

Melee/Brute
                  - Move 100%
                  - Melee strike 3/sec 25% chance for knockback/stun (skill 1)
                  - 100% damage
                  - 150% Health

Speed/Controller
                  - Move 110%
                  - Take control of up to 3 enemies (become smaller in size, move same speed as character) (skill 1)
                  - Each enemy attacks 15% faster than normal, for 100% damage, doing the attack they normally do against the player
                  - 80% Health

Magic/DPS
                  - Move 100%
                  - Magic burst 1/sec for 125% damage, rang of half screen if unimpeded otherwise explodes on contact (skill 1)
                  - 90% Health

Also the name could be changed from Shifter to RPC (role-playing character) :p [yes that's lame, I'm bad at names].

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

I don't have much creative edits to suggest so this will sound snippy but
                    here go my criticisms:
                    -The range form ability seems like double tap on the commando
                    -Melee/Brutes 3/sec is really quite fast - in addition to the stun change you will virtually end up knocking the group back and stunning every second. (However if the speed is reduced the attack becomes a milder form of HURT from HAN-D)
                    -Speed/Controller - converting enemies to your side is perhaps one of the potentially best abilities there are. You get the enemies to kill each other and you get tons of money in the process.
                    -What does magic burst mean? Do you have a circle expand from the player until it contacts something?

A shifter character is indeed very hard to create and then balance and I have no idea of any suggestions to give. I don't mean to sound derisive, I apologize if I do.

• Faang

Thanks I like your points! I agree we could do with a slower attack. I don't mind the attacks being from other characters in terms of similarity, given that the main talking point is shape shifting and no advanced skills.

As for magic burst, it would be a ball of energy (magic) that would shoot out and explode on contact, or once it reaches max range (half the screen seems good to me). Gonna put this all in the OP and update it there from now on.

• Engio

I used to play league of legends and anyone here familiar with the champion udyr will probably understand what I am getting at.

What if you had a temporary buff applied upon shifting to a different form?
                        Just as an example form 1 grants movespeed+ for 3 seconds, form 2 grants life gain on hit for 3 seconds, form 3 causes enemies attacked to leave a trail of fire for 3 seconds. This is a way to give the character some more utility since it doesn't have any methods of escape.

• Faang

Yeah I forgot to mention the shifting buffs. Just how the miner is invulnerable after every skill, these should have a buff when shifting to aid in escape.

Shift bonus:
                          Ranger: +50% Attack 3sec, Invulnerable 1.5 sec
                          Brute: +25% Knockback/stun, Invulnerable 2 sec
                          Controller: +30% Speed 3sec, Invulnerable 1.5 sec
                          Magician: +25% Attack Speed 3 sec, Invulnerable 1.5 sec

• Engio

Invulnerability all the time sounds a wee bit too good. Especially with 4 forms. The cool downs have to be brutally long to avoid chain invincibility.

This would require each form to have a 15+ second cooldown. And once you get the items for reducing cooldowns you are invincible forever. Maybe instead have one that is invulnerability while others are things like jump boost and speed boost?

• Faang

Yeah cooldown on transforms will be like Items level cooldown. 30+ seconds.

• Faang

Updated with crude gifs that took way too long to make >><<

Shrooblord and Daimera like this.
                                • Faang

After tooling the concept to a submittable post, I just want to say thanks to you guys for the help in fleshing it out! I love the concept and while it may need more balancing, I'm proud of the work we did :)

Shrooblord and Treadlight like this.
                                  • Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

The controller is not very game pad friendly. There's also the whole conflicting right hand part for keyboard+mouse, because you have to use your right hand to move but then you also have to use it to click on enemies. Perhaps having the controller shoot a projectile that makes the him take control of the first enemy it hits would work, it would also add some skill because you have to make sure you hit the enemy you want.
                                    Also, have you thought of calling the controller something like a beast master or beast tamer? I think something in that vein might fit better with the names of the other forms.