1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

[Character Suggestion] Unknown Creature & Seasoned Hero

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pongozila, May 15, 2013.

1. Pongozila

Pongozila Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if you guys are already planning on making these, but I thought it'd be awesome if these two character were in the game.

First "The Unknown Creature": He'd consist in a special different sprite character with RANDOM STATS (Randomly chosen from one of the main characters) AND RANDOM ABILITIES (with the 4 individual abilities randomly chosen from every character, without repetitions).
    History/background: "After helping every hero in the galaxy this strange creature has learnt every thing there is, but also endured all the horrors of the war making his mind unstable. He's never sure on witch fighting style to pick until the battle has already begun, and even then he usually mixes them up. Be prepared for anything!"

Second "The Seasoned Hero": He'd consist in a PLAYER CHOSEN hero sprite with PLAYER CHOSEN STATS (custom chosen: speed, regen, speed, HP. BALANCED of course) AND PLAYER CHOSE ABILITIES (with the 4 abilities individually player chosen from every character, without repetitions).
    History/background: "This seasoned hero fought bravely in many wars, acquiring a very unique fighting style witch makes him a deadly soldier, specially after he lost his home planet after a monster invasion. With nothing to lose he'll will never hold back against the creatures that took away his life."

Something like that... I hope you guys like it.
    I'd imagine this would be a LOT of work to make these... but in my opinion it'd make the game even more fantastic giving a custom character to player so he can make his own battle style to master and a random character so to add a greater challenge having to handle a character with mixed different abilities every new game.

Thank you all for making this fantastic game! =D

EDIT: changed the stats choosing of the seasoned hero! More custom now.

Chanthecat likes this.
    • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, if I were an indie game developer, I'd hate to spend several months of rather hard work to design and balance ten classes, only to finish it with "actually, here's the list of abilities, make your own".

I mean, it's a valid design direction, but it undermines most of the devs' previous efforts. The point of balance is that each ability is balanced with a very specific set of three other abilities and stats. By picking a class you're forced to have certain pros and cons, and this artificial limitation defines the playstyle, the "feel" of the class.

By pulling out all the stops you throw that balancing work out of the window, because, if executed poorly (i.e. just let the players pick anything), you'll see how quickly the playerbase comes up with the Uberklasse: a perfect combination of three stats and four abilities that outshines all others. There might be two such combinations, but one is most likely.

And then what is the point of having ten different characters?

If executed well, it might be a very interesting Lego-like character, but that means the devs are gonna have to balance 40 abilities against each other.
      Fourty. That's as many as four tens.
      And that's terrible.

Burby likes this.
      • Pongozila

Pongozila Void-Bound Voyager

Hum... that's actually a good argument... Although I'd still defend the random character... since you can't pick specific combination if not by chance... and this could lead to very different play styles. The unknown could provide quite a challenge you'd still have to master each individual skills but using them in tune with another character's skill would be hard and/or fun... thus resulting in very unique experiences. Don't you agree?