NPC Children (Colony Update)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Femmex, Aug 31, 2015.

?

Children for colonists...

1. ...sounds to be a good idea!

2. ...sounds... nahh we donĀ“t need this really

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Femmex

Femmex Industrial Terraformer

Hello ;)

I have something "new" in mind and thought it would be nice to write it here.

Introduction:

As you all know we got the pleased Giraffe update and with it (the first part of) colonization.

I think it works actual fine. You buy a colony-deed, build it in a home and "puff" you get a colonist depend on the furniture in the room/house.

The NPCs got a update too, they "feel" emotions interact more with each other (what i can say) and so on.

I have a next (logical) step in mind: Why not have the colonists become parents and have children?

Now you can make a room with just enough space for the colony deed and a torch (and a door) or make a big giant house with 20 beds and enough furniture for a great family... With one guy (i find) its just lame or waste.

If the Colonists could become couples and parents their would be a good reason to build "great" houses for them.

How it could work:

Well, the game checked allready the furniture and if the house is build "correct". You can expend that check for the size, and one check for the "relationship" between two colonists. Is everything fine, the couple stay together in the larger house. Which means that they share the same colonist deep and the old one will be used for a new colonist. If you "destroy" the shared colonist deep you lost the whole couple, which is no problem, seems fine to me.

But this is only how the couple thing works. I think that is not a complex mechanic and could be very simple implemented.

Now the thing with the kids:

Starbound is no 18+ game, so i dont want to suggest adult stuff ^^"

instead:

I have an idea in mind for a new furniture item.

If you have ever played a Floran, Hylotl or Avian you know that if you dies and have seen the reanimation sequence you know that they start as "small" plants, fish egg, or (bird-)egg. It seems that this is the "baby-form" of the races.

The new furniture Item could be a racial specific "baby"-box ( i dont know the english name, and the german name is off my mind now too, sorry xD).

Like a aquarium for Hylotl babys or a nest for avian babys... a "special" workbench for glitch-children and so on (only humans, apex and novakids i have no idea how it could look like)

How this works:

1. You put the item in the house
    2. Game checks again the size and the relationship of the couple in it
    3. The couple "use" the furniture item if anything is correct. (and this so "child friendly" as possible)
    4. In the furniture Item lies the new citzien of your colony. (maybe protected so you cant "accidentally" kill it)
    5. After a time: the new Colonsst grows to childhood and then much later to adult state.

For the future:
    (6. after a while you get a new (special) colony deed from this new adult because he wishs to get a own home.)

Thats it ^^ Do you like it?

2. Reelru

Reelru Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds cool! It adds way more depth to the colony system and is something I'd love to see implemented. As for the "baby-boxes", I think you mean cribs. For the humans it could just be a regular crib, (found on earth currently irl) apex could have something similar because they used to be humans, and novakids could have little fire places I guess. :rofl: You also forgot Florans, which I think could have a little planter. I think this is definitely a good idea, and support this! :)

45sundays and ClericAngelBob like this.
  3. Femmex

Thanks for your reply ^^

I thought, what is the meaning of a colony if it not grows :) And thats the natural way.

Not exactly. I mean the special "cribs" which are used in hospitals, but this works too, and sounds better xD

Sounds good. I like it ^^

Yes ^^" i forgot them, but i had this in mind.

Thank you again :D

I hope some more people think about it like you and me.

Ixus and ClericAngelBob like this.
  4. Reelru

Reelru Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah I really like this idea, I also think maybe the reason it might not be implemented is you can get a ton of free colonists. Also, would there be aging? Would they just stay kids forever? I dunno. Maybe you could add a small fee to get a kid or something. Idk, that might not even be an issue :) Thanks!

Ixus and ClericAngelBob like this.
  5. ClericAngelBob

ClericAngelBob Aquatic Astronaut

Like a bassinet? I figure that's probably what you're talking about with the human "baby-box."

I completely agree with your idea, and I think that your colonies should definitely be able to grow in this way, with your help obviously. Say that there is your original requirement for a single colonist in one house (room), but if you fulfill an even greater room requirement, you can place a second colony deed in the same room and that colonist will always be of the same race and opposite gender of the first colonist. They can live together in their house, and if you fulfill even further requirements, they can offer you a special colony deed that spawns a child of the same race. After a randomized amount of time, the child will give you his own adult colony deed and ask you to move him into his own home. Colony deeds you obtain in this way could be for a specific person instead of a randomized character based off of the surroundings. As long as you kept fulfilling those requirements and building new houses as they were required, your colony would continue to grow.

6. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

I think the term you're all looking for is 'incubator'.

7. Femmex

Yes, thanks xD

but cirbs are nice too ^^

8. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder whether we would be capable of using weapons to slaughter the children...... yeah its probably just me, I'll go find something to slaughter.... like all those innocent little rabbits roaming that wasteland-like planet, struggling to get just enough food for their children and themselves to survive.
    Also children-slaughter would greatly increase the rating for this game, I supposed up to M15+ or whatever.

Ixus likes this.
  9. ClericAngelBob

ClericAngelBob Aquatic Astronaut

You already can only hurt colonists with an AOE weapon, so what would the difference be with not being able to hit the children? I think that's an extremely controversial matter. Like, people aren't playing this game for the satisfaction of killing the children.

10. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Oh, sure, leave the guy with Shadow the Hedgehog for his avatar to make the edgiest comment in this thread...

11. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

I didn't simply choose the avatar because its Shadow the Hedghog, its because he was making a weird funny-looking face.

Anyway, I woulda asked it whether I had this avy or not. I mean c'mon, if you've played Skyrim I know you've wanted to kill those little immortal brats... or at least make them a slave and force them to fight every enemy in the game. Who needs a dragon when you have immortal children to do your bidding?

12. Ixus

Ixus Void-Bound Voyager

Hahahaha! Should be fun.

Femmex, is a very nice idea, indeed. I voted YES. Everything than seems to be a plus on this game, should be inserted, even if will take time to do this.

13. Femmex

I know what you mean xD

Killing Children is a "hot red" subject (and you cant ignore it... sure)

Im not a fan of it (normaly). But like in skyrim the children are pain, sometimes ^^" (But there are mods... against it)

Well... you can wonder if you really kill an npc or just force them to beam up? There are no npc (or player) dying animations in the game... (no blood, no pieces, like if you kill monsters or critters). You//they simply beam up. And i think that is intent.

That means: I think it would be lesser a problem for ratings.

And even IF this is not okay, you could make them disappear, along with their parents if one or both of them dies. It would be not the best solution (the best one is "killable" ---> just logic thing), but the second best. My opinion.

14. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Darn it all, why hasn't anyone decided that I'm some kind of horrible monster that is only interested in feasting on the blood of the innocence..... and being possessed by the spirit of inquiry. (Let's see who gets that reference)

Ixus likes this.
  15. Ixus

Ixus Void-Bound Voyager

If humans, apes and fishes can eat plants... no problem if I eat some of they, right?

16. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

If I eating extra servings of Floran count as both meat and vegetable?

17. Femmex

I think only vegetable xD there is no meat.

Florans are the revenge of vegetarians xD

18. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

Only vegetable eh? Pretty sure Florans were some kind of combo of plant and animal but anyway.
    They still have plenty of meat in their stomachs when you kill them, not like you need to go hunting for it.

19. Femmex

NPCs drop meat? I never see that before ^^

Only weapons, medikits(or bandage or nano....) and pixels.

20. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

They don't actually drop meet, its more of a joke. Since Florans eat meat, then technically they'd have meat in their stomachs so upon killing and preparing one as a meal, you'd have the meat and vegetable required for the meal.