City/Highly Developed Planets - (a mix of Earth and the Outpost)

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by PitoolTheForgetful, Feb 23, 2017.

?

do you like this idea? (answer after you're done ofc)

1. Yeah, I'd love to see this be a thing

2. maybe with a lil bit of changes (kinda yes)

3. Ehh, nah I dont like it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PitoolTheForgetful

PitoolTheForgetful Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"surely Earth isn't the only highly developed planet in the universe..."

(mostly) Unnecessary story
    So, There's a mod on the workshop called Citybound, it only does one thing which is replace the boring mountain background on most planets with the city background found in the protectorate instance world. I personally love Citybound as a mod as it does one very simple thing that enhances the look of structures built on most planets which leads right into my idea.

The basic Idea
    "City planets" should be small planets/instances which are a sort of mix of The Outpost and Protectorate Academy, In that they can be highly developed and rather densely populated areas in the galaxy which would basically be a planet sized town/village but with some differences such as possibly having some pre-built set-pieces(like the protectorate instance world) spliced in between regular, block based structures while also being inhabited by all races. (the majority would likely be Hylotl, Humans and Apex) NPCs found on "City planets" should also have a 30% higher chance of generating a quest, maybe some could even start out ready to join your crew.

The "specific" details and stuff
    Only one out of 15 gentle star's systems should have a "City planet," this ensures that City planets arent too common, which would make finding a City planet an accomplishment that players can be somewhat proud of.

"City planets" should have 3 general themes, Human, Apex and Hylotl.
    • planets with a human theme should have a basic theme that is futuristic yet simple.
    • Apex planets should have a very futuristic look, while also potentially having taller buildings, security cameras and Big Ape/Miniknog posters scattered throughout.
    • Hylotl planets should of course be built in a more Hylotl style, utilizing more blue and having more lights and vendors.
    "City planets" should vary in size and contents, some having more features and some having less, they should have certain parts such as markets, apartments and maybe even upgrade and recruitment centers where you can find potential crew members and get certain rare items. Each theme of Cities should also have one rarer, unique set-piece that can occasionally be found on a "City planet" which would likely boost the player's progress on clues by having several important things, for example, there could be a Hylotl library.

As said in the basic information there should also be roughly 30% higher chance to find an NPC with a quest on a City planet, there should also be a lot of NPCs that are already ready to join your crew right off the bat.

notice
    This is pretty much it for now, but this "thread" is not complete, i do intend to add some concept screenshots and drawings to give a better idea of what I am talking about in the very near future, so... yeah... please do come back at some point.

pixe, Yavor, Noobgalaxies and 3 others like this.
  2. Hardlight

Hardlight Phantasmal Quasar

For Hylotl, I would also like to see the city be based in an ocean biome as well.

It would also be nice if city quests could lead to new missions (or a mission chain), these missions could originate from the unique city set piece.

3. RobedRebel

RobedRebel Void-Bound Voyager

What would the quests be like, would they be like normal ones, or would they be city oriented? What unique furniture items or treasure items could be found, and would there be any monsters on these planets? If so what tier difficulty and what kind?

4. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

id like this, though thered probably be framerate issues with larger cities.

5. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

on one hand, a more populated universe would be interesting, on the other, if there were too many of these cityplanets, it'd restrict where we can demolish and build. if they replaced only one type of biome, it'd mean it's less likely to find that biome type to build in ourselves. basically, i wouldn't mind finding these cityplanets rarely, and scattered among many different biomes.

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think there is more to it when planning a city planet. Apart of performance issues

stuff like:
    -what the player is or is not allowed to do on the planet. I wouldn't mind there being more npcs to talk to and quest for, at the cost of having the MM disabled.
    faction related things that may be related to things off planet, like scanning "research" missions for the miniknog.
    -If the players starts doing bad things, will the guards intervene? for how long or persistent should they be?

I wouldn't mind seeing city planets for every race (though humanity would be an outlier, not enough population for one.)