Suggestion Clans should be unique!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rafoca, Feb 6, 2019.

1. rafoca

rafoca Space Hobo

When I realized all clans look different, but play the same I got dissapointed.

I wish all of the unities from all clans to be unique, as seen on Heroes of Might and Magic series. This would make people more eager to try all clans and would make for more varied strategies.

I don't know if that can be changed now, but I'd love to

I admit that this game has a lot of things I love, but the moment I realized this clan thing I didn't play the game anymore =/

aiscool likes this.
    • Phazz

Phazz Space Hobo

I agree, I also pointed this out in my suggestion post recently. It's weird that they went through all the trouble to create 4 different looking races, all with their own backstories and lore, but made them the same gameplay-wise. I do wish this is changed in future updates, but I don't have high hopes because it would change the balance of every map that has been done so far...

rafoca likes this.
      • ~Domi

~Domi Lucky Number 13

It may also cause unbalance between the clans, I think it is ok as it is.

Xelaoac likes this.
        • rafoca

rafoca Space Hobo

It can also result in more variety

Imagine if the devs behind age of wonders, civilization, age of empires and heroes of might and magic thought the same as you do... We would have games without any variety

• Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Aquatic Astronaut

This game is heavily influenced by Advance Wars, where the different factions (nations) did not have any differences either. The only difference was in the commanders.

• Xelaoac

Xelaoac Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think this can be remedied simply by adding more commander options, or including control of two as opposed to only one at a time to have a unique play on strategy. I think a few additional units would be nice, like a defender shield unit where they may not be able to travel far or really do any damage, but be a wall or barrier to entry. I usually use wagons for this purpose because of their versatility and drop a Spear unit as my vanguard.

• aiscool

aiscool Poptop Tamer

It felt like a bait and switch advertising 4 clans, and then having them be mechanically identical.

@Couch Tomato The Commanding Officer you chose changed the properties of all your units (Max had better direct, but bad indirect; Sami had great infantry, but poor vehicles; Olaf's troops responded differently to weather). Most if not all units on the field were different based on the commander they had.

While I think wargroove is great overall, but not having differences between the clans is by far the most disappointing part of the experience for me.

rafoca likes this.
                • Blind13

Blind13 Space Hobo

I think the major issue is just total balance, The Advance Wars Series had CO's that were unbalanced in my opinion, like why use Adder whose ability was incredible lackluster and use Sturm who had an incredible advantage, or Neil and that old guy that does the shop (Forgot his name) But I personally think there should be small changes into each commander, like Sturm would have 20% boost in all units and no decrease in movement in terrain I'm pretty sure, and I feel that the games can just drag on since there just seems to be too balanced. I do agree that each clan should be different. But not with unique units, but actually changes in crits. That's just my opinion

• aiscool

aiscool Poptop Tamer

I've heard 'auras' being suggested, where commanders influence units within so many spaces of them.

I think this could be a good option that stays true to Wargroove's commitment to the commanders. You could even do it where some (say the vampire's) had a negative effect on enemy units in range, rather than buffing her own.

And as far as balance goes, A: perfect balance is less interesting, B: it's already not balanced; you already have players arguing over how good Nuru is or how bad some of the others are. (not to mention first turn advantage) and C: Adapting to different powers and strategies is one of the big ways PvP environment stay healthy and grow.

rafoca likes this.
                    • Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Aquatic Astronaut

They affected all the units, but again, that was purely dependent on the CO. What nation the CO belonged to didn't matter and was only cosmetic.

In AW:DoR, the CO only affected nearby units, but again, the faction didn't matter.

• rafoca

rafoca Space Hobo

Exactly, man. I admit that I bought the game without knowing this, because my experience with these kind of games were different. This is the first game I play, in this genre, that clans play the same =/

• Fadedsun

Fadedsun Astral Cartographer

I'm not sure what other games you've played that are like this, but this game is influenced by Advance Wars, as others have said. There was no unit difference between factions. I'm not sure you realize how much time it would take to balance something like this. 4 different factions all with differences between them. One or some of them are going to end up being better than another. We wouldn't have Wargroove in our hands right now if this is what they decided to do. They would be at the drawing board still figuring all that out, play testing it over and over again, etc. It's hard enough trying to design balanced maps to play on, let alone balancing the units and commanders. There's already problems there that need to be addressed. This is a small dev team, so I'm happy with the product we have and the support we are getting so far from Chucklefish.

• Gimmedacloyster

Gimmedacloyster Tentacle Wrangler

Like someone already mentioned, while the units weren't different in Advance Wars the CO's drastically changed the way each of the units played. The difference between commanders made the gameplay unique. If I chose Sami vs if I chose Max my entire strategy would change and in campaign deciding which Commander is best for the job was fun.

Were some characters unbalanced for PvP? Sure. Someone above mentioned Sturm. Sturm was in my opinion a PvE character. He was intentionally supposed to be hard and have an advantage over you in the endgame campaign. Characters like him are supposed to be banned in PvP. But really you're never going to strike a true balance with PvP and the way the game is right now it's sacrificing variation between Commanders and it's STILL unbalanced.

Funny thing is the Campaign editor got me excited when I first saw it because it seemed like an almost endless amount of PvE fun. However, people can crank out campaigns left and right...... I'll still get bored quickly when everyone plays the same. "Guess I'll use the same general strategies I used in every other map".

aiscool likes this.