Co-op and Sleep

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Onion, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Onion

Onion Void-Bound Voyager

Please forgive me if this question has already been answered, but I was wondering how passage of time reconciles with co-op mode. What I'm mostly wondering about is, will everybody have to sleep to get the night to pass?

• Javiolanti

Javiolanti Void-Bound Voyager

From what I understand, the time system for co-op isn't set in stone. A lot of factors go into play concerning servers, characters offline in a game containing 2 or more farms, and active time/sleep time/indoor time that would balance/unbalance the single player to the multiplayer experience, not to mention accounting for different players playstyle/speed.

I think sleep will have to be in unison if multiple players are online, similiar to how Minecraft works sleep for multiplayer, as to avoid ruining one players experience for another.

All things considered, this would at least promote unison gameplay, as that's usually the point for a pseudo co-op game. And even if you don't want to help the other person, I'm sure there's plenty to keep yourself busy while he's busy doing whatever.

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

It's going to be lame for the player that collapses due to lack of stamina (if that happens).

• Kisox

Kisox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A lack of stamina wont lead to a collaps. There is nothing sure about how the mechanic will work, but one idea is that zero stamina just makes it harder for you to work but its not impossible to do anything.

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

I can't think of a way to make this work smoothly. The way I think it would make most sense is once everyone goes to sleep that's when time skips forward to 6am (or whenever). Before that people who go to sleep are in kind of a "free camera" mode where they can see everything that is going on from the perspective of anyone who is awake, so they are still part of the action even though their character is out cold.

I don't like the idea of everyone being forced to go to sleep at the same time. That seems kind of restrictive.

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

I see what you're saying--and I like the "free cam" idea--but I play multiplayer in Minecraft and it's not as restrictive as you may think. Especially with only 4 people max. I play with my friends and when one of us is ready for bed, we all jump in bed. If one of us is still doing something, we help, and, when done, head to bed. I think it actually creates a sense of community to have an event that must be chosen cooperatively.

peace

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

I've never played Minecraft so I wasn't sure how it worked. I guess it doesn't sound that bad but minecraft doesn't have any kind of stamina bar.

I guess a free cam wouldn't make any sense though, as there wouldn't really be any reason to go to bed before your friends rather than just waiting for them to go to bed also.

How does everyone get to their bed at the same time though in minecraft? Do the beds all have to be in the same place? Do people just have to stand at their bed waiting for their friend to get to their bed?

• djchrisblue

Minecraft does have a stamina bar actually and if goes all the way down, you begin to take damage. CA has mentioned that in Stardew Valley when you run out of stamina things will just be slower--it won't prevent you from doing most things.

In MC you can place as many beds as you want anywhere (ie, you can sleep in my house, or your house, or you can just make a quick bedroom in a cave). Only people in the same dimension have to actually sleep, but everyone in the same dimension must be standing by their bed before it will rollover into daytime. I think this system may fit Stardew Valley well.

peace

• Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I would say the "everyone needs to sleep" type of play would be best suited. And if someone passes out, then your buddy would have to find you, and drag your half dead body back home. I think that would be hilarious and could create some pretty funny moments. "GET IN THE BED CHARLES! GET IN THE BED!!" "I DON'T WANNA!".

• djchrisblue

It seems like this may dovetail well with advancing time also. CA mentioned at some point that there may be separate times for separate farms so that people who are online could still play without punishing those who are not online. Only the farms that people are sleeping in need be incremented?

peace

• LukeSky

LukeSky Guest

When you sleep, time should go much faster and that in a few seconds, it would be Day-Time.

• Javiolanti

Javiolanti Void-Bound Voyager

The subject is about the issue about sleeping while in co-op mode, not how sleeping should be done as a whole, as the former is a more important issue to address

In any case, I think co-op sleeping will probably be similar to Minecraft's, where it has to be consenting of all players. I'm sure there'll prolly be plenty to do regardless, and it'll most likely encourage more co-op inadvertently

LukeSky likes this.
                          • Kisox

Kisox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

maybe you can see on your screen when the others are in their beds. so you can chat/speak how much you still have to do and if the others want to sleep anyway or use the next hours

• Dizzard

Dizzard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I believe you don't need to go to bed from lack of stamina, so everyone will probably have to wait until a designated time before they all go to sleep in co-op.

• Frisky Fox

Frisky Fox Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with the Minecraft-style sleeping :) I don't see it being too much of an issue.

I'm more concerned about how separate farms work. I'll be honest, I haven't been around for a while so I haven't read up on any development updates not on the news page. Minecraft style sleeping will be good, but when someone logs off, I think their farm should be unavailable. They could be on "vacation" so to speak. I also like the idea of them having their own time, so that people can help their friends out more; at the same time, it just seems sort of weird though. Does anybody have the context this was taken from?

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I like the Minecraft style sleeping.

• Onion

Onion Void-Bound Voyager

It seems like I'm hearing 2 major theories on how sleep might work, and either one of them sounds great. Any way it turns out, I'm definitely looking forward to this game!

Javiolanti likes this.
                                    • Dragyn

Dragyn Void-Bound Voyager

I honestly hadn't even given the sleep issue any thought...guess it's good that I'm not making the game, eh?
                                      But yeah, I would think a Minecraft style sleep system would be ideal.