1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Co-op Revival

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Seria-Myouna, May 7, 2013.

1. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

I don't know how Co-op works yet, but I think a useful game mechanic would be to be able to resurrect your partner with a moderate fee, like reactivating a drone in that it gets more expensive each time they die.

Juriko Sagara likes this.
    • Pastuleio

Pastuleio Risk of Rain Developer

We have also taken this thought into consideration after playing together a lot and feel it's a great idea.
      We will work something into co-op that fits this!

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe upon dying, first chest you open revives your companion (and doesn't get you a useful item, or gives you single charged revival item)?

• Seria-Myouna

But what if you've already opened all the chests and broken the statues?

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, that's right. I haven't thought about this situation.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So in that situation you can kill a boss and not get weapon but resurrect teammate? And if there's no any bosses than killing all other guys not such problem. Proceed on next level and your friend gets resurrected then.

Draken09 likes this.
              • Bewinged

Bewinged Poptop Tamer

And if I want to mess with my friend and not revive him but still kill the boss?

• Seria-Myouna

Alright alright, perhaps the player themselves can elect to revive by giving up a portion of their amassed coinage. This would allow you to not just frantically scramble to revive your teammate's corpse which is buried under every mob in the world.

Perhaps upon revival you're invulnerable for a few seconds as well.

EDIT: But then it loses some of the hardcore fast-paced action it already has. I'd prefer to stick with drone-style revival.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Then you should try harder! Game mustn't give what you want just because "this is co-op, this is for fun!".

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

Gold costs turned into a 'wait don't start teleporter until I farm you back to life' kind of thing. The way it currently works is that all players are revived at the beginning of the next level.

This is important because:
                      • It still creates the tension of perma-death. Dying should not be trivial, and gold costs generally are.
                      • It adds to the achievement/intensity of the teleporter event. It's very exciting when you'e fighting not only for your life, but for 3 other lives as well!
                      • Dead players aren't bored by being dead, because they have stakes in other players' lives.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

That's great too, because in one of my runs, I noticed that I had 200 K money and nothing was of value anymore. I could just muck about opening everything and anything I wanted. If that money could go to a teammate, meh, fine, but with this mechanic involved, you'll want to survive to the end of the level not only for the hell of surviving, but to keep your friends in the game too. Good call!

• Seria-Myouna

Oh my god 4 player co-op?

I had no idea. That sounds amazing, especially if you can get internet MP working.

GERCharon and Draken09 like this.
                          • Draken09

Draken09 Black Hole Surfer

I just need to get a controller, then I can finally play both this and Cobalt with a friend...

• Shrooblord

I have three Xbox 360 controllers sitting right here! :up:

• vexxed

vexxed Space Penguin Leader

I enjoy the challenge that is provided by the way death is currently handled in the game, having your team mate/s die shifts all responsibility onto the survivor and eliminates most scenarios of moral dispute (For example in many co-op games other players have the ability to save their allies via reviving over a period of time which renders that person useless and defenseless, and on occasion that 'hero' has died attempting to save a friend and at times leads to arguments/negativity between friends); but what RoR offers to me is an environment where you work together, but are ultimately fending for yourselves in a frantic attempt to keep yourself alive!

I wouldn't shun away the introduction of another way to revive people I just hope that the decision to do so isn't taken lightly and that people in the community have thought through how it would change the game, if at all for them. My suggestion be it vague, would be to severely charge and limit (how many revives per stage/playthrough) the player for reviving a player; perhaps even in a form more than gold as we all know how easy it is to obtain over time. Perhaps a balance can be found though, looking forward to seeing how these ideas progress.

• Shrooblord

Hm, maybe you earn revives as you play, as really rare drops from monster kills?

• vexxed

vexxed Space Penguin Leader

Not a bad idea, I was thinking earlier that perhaps there should be a shrine every certain number of levels that have as near possible to true random positioning as possible. So to increase rarity as atleast for myself I try to finish levels as soon as possible rather than searching the entire map.