1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Co-op stat display suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Burby, May 10, 2013.

1. Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

I have noticed a few things in the co-op mode interface that, while functional, I think would benefit from a few changes. I will not go on about the split screen as this has been brought up multiple times before and I can't currently think of a suggestion to implement that with any benefits over other suggestions that were already made. So without wasting any more time, here's 2 suggestions I would like to give:

-The health bar above every player would probably be more convenient on a similar location to singleplayer, right above the character abilities listed on the bottom, and logically smaller in scale in order to fit. This way the actual HP number can also still be displayed, especially usedful for HP sacrifice shrines.

-As the comments on the co-op demo on youtube pointed out, having a way to show who has which items could be of use. I believe that there could potentially be room for this either right above the character health bars or below where the boss health bars pop up. As to who has which item, it would probably work to have a different colored number for each player displayed next to the item if they have it at least once, similar to how it's displayed when you have multiple of one item in singleplayer, except a different colored number in each corner, or something similar.

Shrooblord likes this.
    • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

The different-coloured number thing sounds both very functional and possibly confusing. Your ideas are good though - I too would prefer a centralised group of health bars at the bottom. Maybe you could have both - one healthbar above the players and one down below for better reference.
      The layout we'd have to think about: do we want four groups of singleplayer-like HUDs all next to each other at the bottom of the screen? Do we want one centralised HUD with four quadrants for the abilities (top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right) with in the middle a rack of four healthbars and the Items collected surrounding the abilities section? I myself would at least like to see this one - I'll make a picture later to give you an impression of what that would look like in-game.

• vexxed

vexxed Space Penguin Leader

Initially I would agree with your suggestion about the health bar positioning, as when I was playing single player and watching videos I found it much more convenient to be above your abilities. But having played co-op with a friend last night, I found that having the health bar above your character was very efficient as during the game the main concern for us was to keep track of our characters (as we were playing the same class) and to watch our health and be wary of enemies that were near you, which having the health bar where it is kind of solved two problems. The lack of knowing your exact health and especially what items we both had was a real issue though, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an additional health bar that could display your precise stats!

Good to see many of us have come across similar changes that we would like to see!

• Shrooblord

The problem with the floating health bar is that in a mass of enemies, your own healthbar can be lost in the clutter.

• Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

That's also why the infusion item doesn't turn health bars red in co-op, I suppose

• vexxed

Yeah it does become an issue as the game progresses i'll agree with that, I would like to see either an additional health bar in a similar position to the single player one or perhaps an option to choose the positioning of the health bar (be it one or the other or both, not just anywhere on the screen)

• Shrooblord

Okay I've done what I said I'd do:

[​IMG]

That's basically what I had in mind.

Burby, Active Link and vexxed like this.
                • vexxed

I approve. Perhaps the items can be contained in a box that can be opened and closed (to facilitate a large amount of items) to better use the space on the screen.

• Shrooblord

There could also be small 8x8 pixel graphics to represent the items you have in multiplayer neatly.

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

Health bars in co-op definitely get tuned out and don't have all the bells and whistles of single player (red bar designating health lost, infusion, shield, etc) mostly because I knew I would re-vamp it to something more fitting. I'll see if I can fit it under the skill bar somewhere (have to respect different aspect ratios as well to make sure it works!)

Burby likes this.
                      • Shrooblord

Ah, indeed - aspect ratios hadn't yet crossed my mind (but then if you look at mine, you'll see I have the rare and stupendous 5:4 aspect ratio). Just out of curiosity, do you think my suggestion would work, concept-wise, or is it too confusing or cluttered?