Coffee Beans are an Underrated Crop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sunlite, Mar 19, 2017.

1. sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

(note: I'm new to this community so apologies if this has already been posted)

Not many people have considered growing Coffee Beans (including myself), and I think it is an underrated crop.

It is not the most profitable for year 1, this is for every year after. You should spend previous years buying coffee beans from the Traveling Merchant and growing them for the sake of getting more coffee beans. Selling them after buying from the Traveling Merchant will yield you with a negative gold per day, so don't sell any beans until you get enough for what you want.

Once you have gathered enough coffee beans to turn it into a cash crop, let's assume it's Spring 1 and you have a lot of kegs.

Coffee beans have a growth period of 10 days and harvest every 2 days after. Alone, they're a pretty good crop. You will get 9 harvests of 4 coffee beans in Spring.... so 36 coffee beans from 1 coffee bean. Regular quality coffee beans are a measly 15g, so in Spring, that would be 15 x 36 = 540 total profit / 28 = ~19.29 g/day (each plant). You will most likely make more than this.Throughout spring and summer you will get 23 harvests, so 23 x 4 = 92 x 15 = 1380 total profit / 56 = ~24.64 g/day (each plant).
    (This is assuming all coffee beans are regular quality. You're almost positively going to get a variety of different quality coffee beans, so g per day will generally be greater than that amount)

This is where you really start making money. I will assume people will plant coffee beans for spring and summer, so I will only calculate that amount. Planting on Spring 1, you will get 23 harvests by Summer 28. 23 x 4 = 92, so each coffee plant will give you 92 beans. Putting coffee beans in the kegs will give you coffee which is worth 150. 5 coffee beans = 1 coffee, so 92 / 5 = 18.4 x 150 = 2760 total profit / 56 = ~49.29 g/day (each plant). That is a considerable amount, considering other cash crops. And coffee beans only take 2 hours to keg, so you won't have long waits.

TL;DR: For spring and summer without kegs: ~24.64 g/day per plant. With kegs: ~49.29 g/day per plant.

Coffee beans yield more g/day than cranberries, strawberries, and blueberries do even without kegs. They are the most profitable spring crop.

Granted, this isn't the greatest crop, Hops beats pretty much every plant if you make it into pale ale (Seriously, it's even better than ancient fruit!), but it's something to consider mid-game for a change. Sometimes, strawberries, blueberries and cranberries can get boring. This is to show there's other crops that still give you decent money.

This just goes to show you, there are more crops worth growing other than ancient fruit, starfruit, hops, and berries. I'm not going to be bothered doing the calculations for other crops, but other crops considering growing are artichokes, grapes, pumpkins, red cabbage, and melons.

TL;DR: Coffee beans are an underrated crop and are pretty good cash, better than all the berries; although they aren't the most profitable they're something to consider for a change

Honeywell likes this.
    • Funcrunch

Funcrunch Void-Bound Voyager

I grow coffee exclusively for drinking, personally, as I love the speed boost. Though I have sold some of the gold beans since you have to put five of the same kind in a keg. I have one keg in the kitchen that is my dedicated coffee maker, which is amusing when I find Elliott in the kitchen greeting me with a cup of morning coffee :nuruhappy:

RAINBIRD55 and Kasey like this.
      • sunlite

That brings another good point up: no more wasting money on coffee from the saloon!

• Shoukry

Shoukry Big Damn Hero

Edit: Totally made a mistake with Agriculturist being level 5...

I agree Coffee is a little underrated and is useful in its own way. It is a pretty good cash crop and it's better than Blueberries but not Strawberries if you sell them as fruit since you get 14 Coffee harvests in the Summer but only 9 or 10 in the Spring -- because Blueberries are better than Strawberries. Weird math there. I also say this assuming it's Year 2 and I assume whoever is playing is at Farming 5 because it would be very difficult not to be at Farming 5 by the end of Year 1. And I assume the Coffee Bean is looted off of a Dust Sprite otherwise it kills the profit-margin.
          Tiller
          • Strawberry
            • 132g x 5 harvests - 100g seed = 560g profit
          • Blueberry
            • 55g x 3 Blueberries x 4 harvests - 80g seed = 580g profit
          • Coffee
            • 15g x 4 Coffee Beans x 23 harvests = 1,380g profit
          240g per plot more for Coffee Beans

Agriculturist
          • Strawberry
            • 120g x 6 harvests - 100g seed = 620g profit
          • Blueberry
            • 50g x 3 Blueberries x 5 harvests - 80g seed = 670g profit
          • Coffee
            • 15g x 4 Coffee Beans x 24 harvests = 1,440g profit

150g per plot more for Coffee Beans
          So I completely agree Coffee is better to sell straight up instead of Strawberries and Blueberries. But once you start kegging everything, using your assumption of having a lot of kegs, then Coffee quickly falls behind the berries.
          No Profession/Tiller: Kegged
          • Strawberry
            • 360g x 5 harvests - 100g seed = 1,700g profit
          • Blueberry
            • 150g x 3 Blueberries x 4 harvests - 80g seed = 1,720g profit
          • Coffee
            • 150g x (4 Coffee Beans x 23 harvests / 5 per Keg) = 2,760g profit
          660g per plot more for berry wines

Agriculturist: Kegged
          • Strawberry
            • 360g x 6 harvests - 100g seed = 2,060g profit
          • Blueberry
            • 150g x 3 Blueberries x 5 harvests - 80g seed = 2,170 profit
          • Coffee
            • 150g x (4 Coffee Beans x 24 harvests / 5 per Keg) = 2,880g profit
          1,350g per plot more for berry wines
          Coffee Beans are not bad, by any means. I usually try to grow 24 of them on Spring 1, which gives me a full year's supply of Coffee, enough Coffee Beans to plant in any vacant plots right before fall so my fields stay hoed and watered, and 24 Coffee Beans to do it again next year. I don't think the forum has a big appetite for this kind of thing, unfortunately. (I enjoy these kinds of posts immensely, so please keep posting.)

And welcome to the forums!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
            oldbutgamingstill and Honeywell like this.
          • sunlite

Thanks for the insight. I think what really turns off people from using coffee beans is the inconvenience of receiving one. But once you have one bean, getting more shouldn't be a problem.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I keep getting coffee beans every time I go spelunking in the mines. They seem to be a common drop from Dust Sprites now, or maybe I'm just having especially good luck on my RNG lately. And once you have one coffee bean, you're set. Like sunflower seeds, it's a self-replicating crop even without a Seed Maker.

• Kasey

Kasey Tentacle Wrangler

I do this exact same thing!

Funcrunch likes this.
                • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

I truly thought about doing another save where I have a massive coffee bean/cup of coffee operation on the farm. Like a Starbucks but more rural. lol

RAINBIRD55 likes this.