1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Commando and leveling

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Event Horizon, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Event Horizon

Event Horizon Big Damn Hero

Preface: I level hacked each class except HAN-D to level 60 by freezing my cash to 20 billion for 15 minutes with cheat engine at the end of a level and letting my experience gain. And yes, it really did take a long time to get to level 60 even with billions of XP per second.

Problem: Each character had drastically higher damage and survivability. Commando didn't do much more damage. It still took awhile to kill things (This may actually be a bug).

Possible solution: Commando is known for its mobility. Give it a very slight jump height and speed increase per level.

Rawrquaza likes this.
    • Zadmeir

Zadmeir Star Wrangler

According to the 0.30.2.0 patch note thread, Commando should be getting +3 damage per level, the same as HAN-D. A quick test shows that Commando hits between 5 and 8 damage with the z-attack at level 1 and between 17 and 28 (give or take) with the x-attack. I guess the base damage is probably something like 7-12. So at level 60, he should be doing 187-192 damage, or 113-116 damage with z-attack. I'm not sure how the game rounds. If he's getting significantly less than that, there might be a problem (with either the game or my calculation).

Rawrquaza and Event Horizon like this.
      • Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

You should stop cheating event you won't get any credible evidence to support your theory.

• Event Horizon

Event Horizon Big Damn Hero

Yeah, it may actually be a bug, because I was hitting for very low damage at a high level as Commando.

Actually, cheating can make testing much easier

• GERCharon

GERCharon Starship Captain

Edit: Turned out to be wrong:

I played a local coop game alone just to look how it works. I choose the Commando for both players. Because I disabled the Gamepad support, both Commandos did react simultaneously to my keyboard commands. Eventually, one of them died (because the other one got more EXP and therefore more health). After I managed to survive the level, the other player respawned and they got an even larger difference in level ups.
            When I then pressed 'jump', I noticed that the Commando with the higher Level jumped significantly higher than the other one. I don't know, if this is a bug or if the keyboard does affect both Players in a different way. If it is not, the Commando already increases his jump height by leveling up. His speed remained the same. It would be great, if someone could try this. I would like to know if he experiences the same thing.

Edit: It might also work with other classes. Eventually all classes get a jump height increase per level up.

• Biomatter

Biomatter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wait - I know it seems obvious, but are you SURE you didn't accidentally pick up a Rusty Jetpack?

• GERCharon

GERCharon Starship Captain

Oh, this would be embarrassing:unsure:. I'll try it again, now

Edit: Yupp, Jetpack:facepalm: There is need of an other kind of display in coop to show what each player got...

• Biomatter

Haha, no probs. Just remember, the easiest way to tell if you have a Rusty Jetpack are the FWOOOSH particles that come out when you jump with it. There's a little rocket lift when you have that item.

• Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

Unless your quality is on the lowest setting.
                    I seriously did not know that waterfalls existed or that nearly everything (in the demo, at least) has a visual effect on your character until I saw a video...

• Biomatter

Ok, nevermind, count me in the "Commando needs a buff" train.

Maybe I just suck - actually, it's incredibly likely that I just suck - but I feel like the Commando is entirely defined by what items you find. If I don't find items that increase my damage by unfathomable amounts (i.e. Missiles Mk.1 and Mk.2, Ceremonial Blade, Happiest Mask, Heaven Cracker, etc) then I simply WON'T be able to clear out the Teleporter-event enemies in a reasonable amount of time. Commando has very low life and armor and low damage output without items. Even when I'm doing OK I feel like I'm still spending half my time running away from a huge group of enemies and just popping out FMJ every few seconds without doing much else. To make things more painful after you hit the Hard difficulty most enemies begin to move faster than you, and that's not even counting the enemies that teleport (Imps, Rams, and every Orange Elite)! Even the Red and Green enemies can keep up with me, leaving me to do nothing but roll, FMJ, and then run and jump and pray I don't get gibbed until those two abilities come off cooldown. Suppresive Fire is not useful unless you are fighting less than 3 enemies, and even then its damage is hardly more than just regular attacks.

I feel like the only saving grace for the Commando is his ability to proc items more often than any other class (mainly referencing missiles here), but this is only useful if you GET those items. Can someone confirm that Commando is not in fact glitched and he is gaining damage per level?

Ok, rant over, I'll try to stop being a butthurt noob now. Sorry :(

• Knight Wing

Knight Wing Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im with you that they need to buff his damage slightly too. Compared to the bandit who can clear bosses and mobs so much easier.

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Might want to consolidate the commando buffs into my thread that I already made for him guys. Might as well keep it in relative threads, but, yes, the commando is very much defined by his starting items, it's what makes him so damn fun to play but also highly aggravating as well, my 200+ minute hardcore game started out with me finding nothing but defensive items in the beginning and even when I HAD missiles I was NOT getting the 10% firerate described.