Community Generated Sidequests tool

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Pabloidemon, Jan 28, 2015.

?

Do you want to create you own stories in starbound?

1. Man, I could be space-Shakespeare!

20.0%
  2. Hell no! Devs are my slaves by birthright!

20.0%
  3. I could try it, if the tools are simple and the stars are right...

60.0%
  1. Pabloidemon

Pabloidemon Aquatic Astronaut

Hello guys

First time writing in the forums, but I have been playing and supporting SB from day one.

Here's just an idea:

Sidequest are an important side of any game, and in your particular case; you have a big enough (and smart enough, let me add) community on your back

-Why not provide them some generic, easy to use tools in order to create our own sidequest?-
    I know this is not something to even think in our current beta stage, but eventually it could make the difference between starbound and any other similar game.
    Sidequest could be tested, and rated using the nightly build; and those good enough could be later voted and added to the official version.
    Eventually you will end up with a lot of extra, top grade, sidequest for SB; adding even more deep to the game.

Also, you a giving an opportunity to contribute to those of us who don't have the technical skills to create a Mod. I can really imagine some great stories from the minds of the users.

thanks for your time!

cacaudomal likes this.
  2. Taiine

Taiine Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree... I have some nice story based quest ideas but sorting the mod files to make it come to life is proving to be a task all its own. I'm missing a needed file and I just can't find it anywhere.

3. cacaudomal

cacaudomal Void-Bound Voyager

It would be pretty awesome

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Which needed file are you looking for?
    If you have any doubts with modding I suggest checking out the modding sub forum - http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/mod-releases-modding-help.111/

A tool similar to what you are asking is planned in the future post 1.0 release called "Director Mode" which is similar to a dungeon master.
    http://playstarbound.com/the-future-of-chucklefish-and-starbound/

But a tool to make quests on the other hand is much harder than it sounds. As the intricacies involved in creating them. You will need to have some basic idea of modding to understand the difficulties of it.

5. FloranTech

FloranTech Aquatic Astronaut

I think the idea of implementing community-based content something that at least a small part of development should pay attention on. But it is easily preformed without actual tools via analyzing community suggestions and launching proper contests for the best content idea. Which is mostly offside of development. Which is sad.

6. NachtFalke

NachtFalke Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would great to use the power of the comunity to create great stuff.
    But i also think there should be a mechanik to vote for the missions or to send a complaints about a mission wich is not focusing the "background" or if there are some ridiculous quests...
    So.. if we got this tool so we could make missions over many years and fillup this game with fantastic content :)