1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Corrupted Save File Help [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greenindragon, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Greenindragon

Greenindragon Void-Bound Voyager

EDIT: Save File is now fixed, thanks to MysticTempest.

How it got corrupted:
    I let my younger sibling play Stardew Valley before I left for work, only to find that they somehow managed to corrupt the save file by the time I got home, since he used cheating software to alter the player's inventory, money, skills, known recipes, etc. He used the software to cheat in items to complete the Community Center bundles, crafting materials, and more with no troubles whatsoever. However, after using the software to change the player's money and also to cheat in items in order to buy the golden clock, junimo huts, and teleportation obelisks from the wizard, the save file no longer opens.

What I have done so far: I have used Notepad++ and the XML plugin for over 3 hours to try and find what's wrong with it (as recommended by this very helpful thread), but the wall of black text is hurting my eyes, and I am not sure where to start or what's wrong with it. After comparing the corrupted file with a clean and cheat-free file, I can't tell if any differences between the two are actually the errors I'm looking for, or are just present because the cheat-free save is significantly further into the game than the corrupted one.

Any tips on where to start and what to look for, or even fixing it for me would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Just a heads up; I'm looking at it now.

I managed to fix it enough to get it to load again; fixing the formatting of the savefile & recreated savegameinfo. But, it's crashing shortly after due to some inventory bugs; likely created by the cheat tool. I'm working my way through those now, and will see if I can restore the save to a playable state.

I'll update again later once I have something else to report.

Typhoon and Greenindragon like this.
      • MysticTempest

Alrighty, I think I fixed all of it.
        I left it running for a while, and it didn't crash. Give it a shot, but let me know if you have any further issues.

Attached Files:

• Greenindragon

Greenindragon Void-Bound Voyager

I was debating taking the "or even fixing it for me" part at the end out of the post since I thought it was asking way too much of people since it wasn't really their problem my file was messed up. Yet you still fixed the whole thing! I've been playing the save file and I have had no issues. I can't thank you enough, thank you so much! :rofl:

• MysticTempest

Ah, no prob! Enjoy! ^-^