couple of unhappy animals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Aug 7, 2019.

1. GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a duck and a rabbit that seems to always be happy when I click on them, but their hearts are hanging out at around 1-1.5. I've had them for about 4 months. So they've gone through a full year with me.

I added an additional heater in the coop. Does that help or am I wasting that item?

I pet them every single day. They are always fed. The rest of my animals all have 5 hearts. Any other suggestions on how to improve my relationship with them?

• nanduh

nanduh Void-Bound Voyager

As the wiki says: A heater has an effect on animal Mood (which is different than Friendship)

Also, are you petting/feeding them everyday? Opening the barn door during the day and closing it before you go to sleep? At earlier friendship, the game is way more punitive if you fail a day on petting/feeding them.

Hope it helps. ^^

• GeekWoman

I already had one heater in the coop. I just wondered if the second one was a waste.

Yes, I am petting and feeding all animals every day. The door is open every day/night except in winter.

All of the rest of my animals on the entire farm have 5 hearts. It's just these two. Is it possible for them to be bugged somehow? I can "raise" more ducks so it's not big deal to sell that one. The rabbit had to be bought and I hate to lose the money by selling it. But I'm counting on it for wool and rabbit's feet. My other rabbit is 5 hearts and I think he's the one leaving me those items regularly.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

The extra heater as far as I have ever seen or encountered is a waste. They check for a heater present, not number of.
          I'm not good with animals, so not sure what else to advise you one.

GeekWoman likes this.
          • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

If you are petting them daily and making sure there's enough food, it sounds like those two might be bugged. Also want to make SURE you are petting them all, there's times two or three will crowd together and trying to make sure I pet them all can be annoying. Basically, I pet them until it says (whoever) is feeling (whatever mood), that guarantees I petted them.

One other thing, make sure if you have an auto feeder that you have enough hay. I know, that sounds like common knowledge, but the first few times I played I forgot about "really should build a silo THEN the coop/barn" so pets were mildly annoyed that they weren't being fed!

GeekWoman likes this.
            • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

sounds bugged to me and rabbits seem to bug more often than others from what i've seen around

GeekWoman likes this.
              • GeekWoman

Thanks for the reminder musical74. The funny thing is I had done the calculations and knew I needed two silos to keep everyone fed over winter. Both my barn and coop are autofed. I didn't manage my grass well in spring and summer and really had to work hard at it in fall. I figured I would be short. About halfway through winter, I checked the silos and ran to Marnie, picking up an additional 100 hay. I still thought I would be short but didn't take the time to check. Since I was having trouble with those two, I checked on the last day of winter. I figured I had been starving my animals since my focus was the mine. I had more than enough.

I will watch/keep the two problem animals another season or two and might pick up another rabbit just to see what happens. If that one does well, it's bye bye Roger and Daffy. Have a good life at Marnie's!

• WhitneyFox

WhitneyFox Void-Bound Voyager

If you only have one barn and coop, you might want to build a second of each and move the problem animals in there. That way you can seclude them and ensure they are eating. With the autofeeder you can't tell each morning if all the animals have eaten, but in a new coop/barn without the autofeeder you'll be able to make sure one hay is missing each morning. In winter when the doors are closed you will also be able to make sure you are petting them and they aren't getting missed by clumping with the other animals as musical74 suggested.

• GeekWoman

This was over a month ago that I was looking at this problem. The two problem animals finally got to 5 hearts. Not sure what took them so long and I made sure they were fed and petted each day. I have a couple more animals that are slow getting their hearts up but they are coming along. I guess some of them just take longer.