1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Crash when Dxtory is running

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by modioperandus, Aug 4, 2016.

1. modioperandus

modioperandus Void-Bound Voyager

The game was working fine up until the Win 10 anniversary update, Now when every I open Dxtory it throw the below error.

Playing in windowed or fullscreen gets the same result. Windows Version 10-64 bit. Does not seem like there is an error log.
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: 8/23/2015: This is only happening in the 64-bit version of SB, 32-bit works with Dxtory.
    Disabling Xbox DVR and Steam Overlay did not help as suggested below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe Dxtory is just not very liked in here? Have you tried alternatives?

3. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Use OBS, free, easy to set up and works.

4. modioperandus

I've been using OBS as a back up. And it works at least.

5. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

I assume dxtory needs an update to work after the big update. You should take a look if all settings are the same or if some of them were resetted. I had the problem with my graphic settings in the nvidia control panel which were resetted for every game. Maybe dxtory is also affected by such a reset?

~ Iris ~

Kulsius likes this.
  6. utoxin

utoxin Space Spelunker

I'm seeing this exact issue, and can confirm that it started with the Win10 update. I've tried rolling back Dxtory (since it updated in the last week too) and that didn't help. While I could in theory use OBS or Fraps to record, I'm really hoping someone at Chucklefish fixes whatever call is messed up that's causing this problem, as Dxtory makes my recording process MUCH simpler (the ability to record multi-track audio is amazing.)

7. Iris Blanche

I don't think that this is a starbound issue since obs and fraps are working fine. It seems that dxtory needs an update.

~ Iris ~

8. utoxin

utoxin Space Spelunker

Hard to say, without access to the code to see exactly what's happening. But it's fair to note that they probably all link into the graphics stack differently, so just because one triggers crashes and the others don't doesn't mean the one that does is at fault. It just means it may be exposing the weak code. I'm checking everywhere for updates for Windows, Dxtory, or Starbound. So hopefully somebody fixes it. I had just started a new series for my channel with Starbound, so this is rather painful for me. :)

9. Iris Blanche

I noticed that this gamebarsomething from this win10 xbox app could interfere. You could try disabling it.

~ Iris ~

10. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Xbox DVR can cause dxtory to crash when using Steam overlay (happened on win10 anniversary update 64bit).
    Disabling both Steam overlay and DVR helped here, but in recording produces screen artifacts, which also asked to turn off vSync in game (at least in my test).
    Might try this route and see what happens?

11. utoxin

utoxin Space Spelunker

Still get the same crash with steam overlay and game DVR off. (I'm not sure mine was actually running. I'd never even signed into the xbox app, but I did this morning, and turned that setting off.)

Update: Still happening, but I have a working OBS recording profile now. Yay for OBS Studio supporting multi-track audio. :) Still hope this bug gets fixed from one end or the other sometime soon. I miss my lossless Dxtory recordings.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  12. modioperandus

Dxtory is fully up to date, tried disabling Xbox Game DVR and Steam overlay to no avail. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens in the next Dxtory/SB update and maybe it will fix itself.

And yes OBS studio multi-track support is a huge help, aside from little differences/quirks it's a good alternative to Dxtory, that works at least in this case.

Also wanted to note, this is only happening in the 64-bit version of SB, not happening in 32. I'll update the first post with that info as well ,for future travelers for this issue.

13. utoxin

utoxin Space Spelunker

Still having this issue after the update yesterday. Bug reported here and to the Dxtory devs. Really wish this would get fixed by /someone/. *sighs*

14. betterfuturewe

betterfuturewe Space Hobo

I use Allavsoft to record videos, music, game, web metting.
    It also helps to directly download the video by copy and paste the video url.
    It has both Mac and Windows version.