1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Create-A-Friend v2.3 for SB v1.0

Create and equip custom NPCs!

1. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Thanks for all the clarifications @MindExplorer ! In regards to the 'alt' for 1-handed items, that is what the 'secondary' slot is for. If you have a one-handed weapon in the 'primary' slot, the 'secondary' item (if it is ALSO a one-handed item) will show up in the off-hand. Like I explained above, I opted to leave out alternate weapon sets for now because it was causing weird AI bugs due to the way Chucklefish have implemented the guard behavior system. Once I figure out a workaround, they will be back! And since I am not entirely sure, do vanilla guards actually use their off-hand weapons/shields?

The "respawning naked" issue can be easily solved as well. I'll take a look.

Lastly, there will always be those 1 or 2 random users that download a mod minutes after it is posted and give it a 5-star review before even testing if it works. Whatever floats their boat I guess :rolleyes:

2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Yep. Nothing "wrong" with 5-star voting before you even try it...but they should at least check it out. I at least spawned the item manually and tested it out first :) hehe.

3. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OK. I have the feeling that we are not talking about the exact same things. So I try to explain this with an example:

This is the whole content of "npcs/bandit.npctype"
    If one encounters bandits ingame and they have a 1-handed weapon, one can also clearly see them having a flashlight in the other hand. If they have a 2-handed weapon, the flashlight is nowhere to be seen. ;)

Additionally there is a "sheathedprimary" one can add, like you can see me using in my MOD .
    The sheathedprimary is the weapon "Deed-guards" try to use whenever their primary runs out of energy and the sheathedprimary actually is a "non-energy" weapon, which are melee weapons in most cases, but they also use Floran Prods and Tesla Spears. I've tested this extensively during the making of my MOD.

If one gives them a Sword as primary and a gun as sheathedprimary, they will walk around with the sword until they see a threat in the distance to then switch to the sheathedprimary immediately.

In short: Monster at distance = they will use a ranged weapon IF they posess one, no matter which "slot" and will use a short-range weapon whenever a monster comes close OR they run out of energy.

Because I give all of "my" guards 2-handed weapons anyway, I haven't tested if they ever will make use of a 1-handed weapon and a shield! That's also the reason why I haven't defined "alts" for my guards. It would make no sense. But I will do extensive tests tomorrow evening, promise. Unfortunately private issues don't allow me to do this earlier, sorry.

I hope the short examples help to clarify things even more. ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Mmkay, I think we are on the same page now. The issue that I am having is with the sheathedprimary and sheathedalt. The problem is that the game sets the npc's combat behavior based on the weapons that they are holding when they are first initialized. Thus, if you change their weapon from a sword to a gun via Lua, they still behave as if they are holding a sword. I was able to get around this by calling their init() function again whenever you give them a new weapon, but for some reason they would never use their sheathedprimary or sheathedalt after that. I removed the option for now, but I plan to restore it later when I can figure out the bug.

5. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

It sounds almost like there needs to be a bit more work in the API on it, or at least in the base lua files. I imagine this will be addressed soon on their end if it isn't fixed by the modding community first.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  6. Eternalmyst

Eternalmyst Big Damn Hero

Awesome, thank you, I'm gonna try this mod out :chucklefish:

7. f0xh0und696

f0xh0und696 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

think you could add a compatibility patch/mod for Avali spawning, its one of my Favorite mods. and i would love to have a hunting party back me up

8. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Why not ask ,instead, the person currently handling the Avali mod?

9. f0xh0und696

thought i'd ask here first, ok.

10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Fair enough. But it's best to ask the person that makes the mod you want to be compatible with this one, not vice versa :) The person doing the avali mod will know what needs to be done. The person making this one probably won't. Granted, its not usually too tough...but the principle is the same.

11. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I DO plan to add compatibility for the more popular custom race mods. It will take a me a bit though because I'm currently taking classes as well.

sayter likes this.
  12. f0xh0und696

fair enough i'm in no rush as i was just asking, also left a request in the avail (triage) forum in hopes someone give it the green light to be used. just hope the'll agree with it.

13. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok, finished the testing and here are the findings:
    These are all possible combinations
    Testing_01.png Testing_02.png Testing_03.png

1st: If a "deed-guard" has a ranged weapon to chose, he will do so too, if he has a short range and a shield
    2nd: "Deed-guards" never make use of the shield
    3rd: The 3rd picture shows a current bug in vanilla = After having used the long range weapon to then switch to the close range one the "alt" is nowhere to be seen. As the code-excerpt and the first two pictures show, the guard should have a flashlight or a riotshield as "alt".

Ok, with this I am out of here till the "Combat-Update" hits stable.
    We will see what changes CF cooked up until then. I am very curious about NPCs making use of the new secondary attacks.

14. Sean10M

Sean10M Pangalactic Porcupine

Well that was an entertaining read. I'm glad to see Peelz is a very rational person. You handled this budding situation very well.

Always enter in a calm and rational state of mind and always respond with a calm and rational state of mind.

Now as for the mod. Its off to a good start. Its simple right now with limited options but hopefully in time we will be able to get some colour, gender and hair options in their. Along with that I would like to say I do agree that the spawner needs to be smaller. Personally I would like something that is one or for squares in size and fits on a wall. But that's just me.

15. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Y'know how I handled people whining about the large stations in Frackin Universe? By ignoring them. I intended for them to be large, and that is the end of it :) So Peelz, if you LIKE them being large bacta-tanks, leave them and don't change them.

16. Sean10M

True. As their mod they can make it spawn giant zombie teddybears then they are well within their right to and I'd be fine with that. None of us numb-nuts in the community didn't commission it. It is the property of its creator and they are free to do what ever they like with it.

I'm just offering suggestions. Which I am also well within my right to do. Just as they are free to ignore my suggestions or take them on board.

17. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Oh I know, I'm not poking fun at anyone in general. Just saying that he's probably almost "sick" of hearing about the size of the unit, etc.

The way I see it, there are two completely valid standpoints....one being that smaller takes less space and thus less work, or the other means building to accommodate the objects in the first place. I prefer option 2 simply because it makes life more interesting (and far less cramped. I remember how my early SB ship was, pre-upgrades, when they were tiny little crappy things. Not an inch of space was left!).

18. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Giant zombie teddybears... I might have to incorporate that in the mod somehow ;)

19. Sean10M

Fair enough. Though I do prefer things like this to be smaller, wall-mountable objects. They are much more manageable and convenient for me.

Lol, well that would be interesting. I drew that from this song.

One thing I'd like to see someone do is turn the gnomes in the gnome village mini-biome into an actual NPC race (obviously they wouldn't be playable though as they are to small. They wouldn't be that hard. Since they are only three pixels tall they wouldn't even need any animation. Just AI.

20. Heartlessglitch

Heartlessglitch Void-Bound Voyager

Hey! was just wondering, I've spawned in a few of the lil devils but they seem to want to only stay near their pods, any way to fix this or is it just what they do?