REQUEST Create tool that exports sprite sheets?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by kingtuter, Oct 12, 2016.

1. kingtuter

kingtuter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

First time posting here (and really the first time posting in any sort of forum, so please excuse any faux pas as I'm getting the etiquette underhand and navigation), but I've bought the game and been using mods here and there since it basically started. The game is a wonderful addiction, and the mods keep it fresh.

I have studied programming and gaming in the past, and am currently studying Graphic Design, so have been contemplating modding for a while now. Mainly to push my artistic limits a bit.

While brainstorming a few ideas for mods, one of my ideas involves having numerous NPC's that would appear once in a while on the map (I'm not too concerned about the logistics of that, more of a brainstorm). I have seen people create new NPCs for the game and insert them with varying levels of success.

It brought me to a thought. Would it be able to create an external tool for Stardew, in which you had the Character Creation menu from the beginning of the game that would allow you to export a sprite sheet of any characters you made in this external tool?

It would allow for the quick production of characters that would be easily compatible with the game. Some custom editing could even be done after the sprite sheet was created for a bit more variety if people were so inclined.

An argument could be made against this, as it would allow some dodgy game developers to basically piggyback on the style of Stardew, but I find they usually find a way regardless.

I have looked around. I'm assuming (guessing?) that you could just use the in built character creation tool and then just find the sprite sheet in the save data, but that seems overly complicated.

It just seems to me it would be very useful to have a tool which would create a sprite sheet of all possible movements for a sprite character.

I am personally not confident enough in making it myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of bright sparks that could do this at ease, and hopefully one of them finds this idea tantalizing enough.

Apologies if this is by any chance a request that has been asked ad nauseum. Put it down to me being new or just not very good at seeing something right in front of his nose.

Anyway, any info or help would be hugely appreciated!

randomAnon123 and foghorn like this.
    • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Something like this, but SDV-specific? Interesting. Inserting Custom NPCs is a buggy PITA right now, though (at least for end-users).

Edit: linkderp, apologies.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
        kingtuter likes this.
      • kingtuter

Sorry, I can't seem to see the "this". I'm probably missing something obvious, so my apologies :)

Yeah, I've seen even the most successful mods having issues with NPCs being added, but may as well give it a try :D

• kingtuter

Yes, something super similar like that. Maybe not with as many options, but whatever was allowed in the creation menu in game in the first place.

foghorn likes this.
          • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree, some sort of NPC creation tool would be great. Even if they were just background/extras. The problems don't really start until you try making the character an actual part of Stardew Valley (romance-able, gift-able, etc.,).

randomAnon123 and kingtuter like this.
            • Unassuming Obelisk

Unassuming Obelisk Big Damn Hero

Ooh! That would be wonderful!!! Even just to have them just exist somewhere would be great. They could have a default boring schedule, and maybe they could live out of town (so they don't need a house) and visit on wednesdays, say. (it would give me something to do when pierre's is closed) It would be awesome if they could have one hobby and one other quirk to give character, but they don't necessarily need events.

Anyway, there are probably a lot of artists/writers (like me) who don't really know much about code who would really like this. I know I would!

Good luck! :3

kingtuter likes this.
              • kingtuter

Thanks :D If I get some free time I may look into doing something, as I don't think anyone bit on this idea :p