Modding Help Creating an Object that generates an Item over time

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Coony, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Coony

Coony Aquatic Astronaut

Hello there,
    as you can tell by the title I'm seeking help to create an Object that you can place down and will generate an Item over time, like the trashcan but without the need of an NPC.

Is this possible or is it really simple?

Help appreciated.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Yes Mining Drill in Industrialization and various machines in Idle Factories do just this.

Really simple? Well you'd need to be able to write a script to do so. But I wrote the scripts used there, and I don't mind if you re purpose them. I can't give you permission over anything else though (as it isn't mine), but you can make your own objects that use my script. You can see from the objects just how the script can be used (in multiple ways/options). So I guess you could consider implementation fairly simple just by reusing it. And I could answer questions about it.

Also I think you have the wrong idea about how those outpost garbage cans really work. The outpost is an instance. It occasionally gets replaced. The trash cans are just containers. They are attached to a treasure pool - and those can be set up for weighted randomization. They seem like they get new things, but actually you have a new garbage can which pulled from a treasurepool. But if you placed a trashcan somewhere permanent - it won't keep generating things.

And yes my script DOES support weighted randomized selection.